Nissan Frontier Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

· Registered
1,181 Posts
^^This on the diminished value and to get your deductible back 100%.
I worked for a body shop for several years, mainly prepping for paint, and detailing after. I am by no means an expert on the "structural" end of this topic, but if the shop you took it to is "preferred" by your insurance company, they should have returned the vehicle structurally sound. Things do get missed. That was one of my jobs detailing in the shop. Guys would forget to put screw in here, a plastic panel was not aligned there, etc. Body shops have a very small margin in the every aspect of the dismantling, repairing, and painting. But most people don't realize that any prepping or cleaning of parts before or after are almost non existent for insurance companies, so they do not include that portion of the pay to the shop. Our shop owner and mangers were constantly fighting tooth and nail over the stupidest stuff an insurance company won't pay for. If the shop you brought it to is worth their weight, they will correct any issues you have and file an addendum to the insurance company if they need more money from them. But also get your paperwork filed for the diminished value ASAP as there is usually a small window of opportunity to collect such money back from the insurance company. Be vigilant and provide documentation to prove your loss in value. You do not have to accept the first offer the company gives you if you suspect low balling. Good luck.

Reactions: MAD85

· Registered
'19 Frontier SV CC SB 4x4 Gun Metallic
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Something not brought up here, diminished value.
True. They did pay me some for diminished value.

I can tell you that I did try to work a trade in deal towards a 2022 SV 4x4 back in July just after the truck was repaired. The dealer offered way less than it should have been worth (around $3-4k less), and specifically cited the accident history as the reason. That lower offer was not even factoring in aftermarket add-ons (Bak-Flip Tonneau cover, Kenwood stereo, etc), that we all know would help them sell the truck faster, but they said "none of that matters on the trade in amount". Yeah, maybe not to them, but it sure matters to me... I obviously did not buy a new truck, for many reasons, but the trade allowance was a big factor. The local dealership just seemed sleazy in general on the trade in side of things, and it completely turned me off to wanting to make a deal with them. I also didn;t like that they were still adding a "market correction" adder of $4,000 on top of MSRP. There were also things I did not like about the '22 that I test drove.

I've come to the conclusion that It is not worth my time and stress to try to go after any more money for it.

In the end, I just want my truck to be right, and to have this behind me.

Reactions: GreyFox

· Registered
38 Posts
This market is really screwy, I'm now told that used vehicle prices are finally coming down. If dealer doesn't give you what you want, then try private sales. I really like the color of that truck, and all the options, etc. I am most envious. Shouldn't be that hard to sell, just give the buyer a sad story about how you lost your job, or whatever. If, however, the truck is paid off, then I suggest you keep it a couple years and get some use out of it until you spot something you 'd like more. BTW, I use Liberty insurance, and they are pretty good overall.

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
This market is really screwy, I'm now told that used vehicle prices are finally coming down. If dealer doesn't give you what you want, then try private sales. I really like the color of that truck, and all the options, etc. I am most envious. Shouldn't be that hard to sell, just give the buyer a sad story about how you lost your job, or whatever. If, however, the truck is paid off, then I suggest you keep it a couple years and get some use out of it until you spot something you 'd like more. BTW, I use Liberty insurance, and they are pretty good overall.
It is a strange market.

My truck is paid for. As of right now I have no intentions of selling or trading my truck. I was pretty upset when this accident happened and at that time I was considering replacing the truck, but after seeing the prices and the sales craziness - I changed my mind quick. I was very fortunate when I bought the '19 that I had a great dealership experience. I've relocated since then and the dealership here in my town isn't as good to deal with, so I won't be buying anything there.

I believe I have fixed the (hopefully) last lingering issue from the wreck, the squeaking body mount, so my current plan is to keep it indefinitely. That is, as long as no crazy issues arise down the road from the accident. If I have any major part failures in that area, that may push me in a different direction. I am hopeful that the truck will be trouble free going forward.

I may try to take it somewhere else and have an inspection done on the repair work that was done (or not done) from the wreck just for my peace of mind, especially the fender apron area, because it took a very hard hit there, and I just want to be sure if it ever gets hit again that it is going to function at least as well as it was originally engineered to, and protect myself and any passengers.

Reactions: DanB2019

· Registered
6 Posts
It is a strange market.

My truck is paid for. As of right now I have no intentions of selling or trading my truck. I was pretty upset when this accident happened and at that time I was considering replacing the truck, but after seeing the prices and the sales craziness - I changed my mind quick. I was very fortunate when I bought the '19 that I had a great dealership experience. I've relocated since then and the dealership here in my town isn't as good to deal with, so I won't be buying anything there.

I believe I have fixed the (hopefully) last lingering issue from the wreck, the squeaking body mount, so my current plan is to keep it indefinitely. That is, as long as no crazy issues arise down the road from the accident. If I have any major part failures in that area, that may push me in a different direction. I am hopeful that the truck will be trouble free going forward.

I may try to take it somewhere else and have an inspection done on the repair work that was done (or not done) from the wreck just for my peace of mind, especially the fender apron area, because it took a very hard hit there, and I just want to be sure if it ever gets hit again that it is going to function at least as well as it was originally engineered to, and protect myself and any passengers.
Hey! Sorry that happened to you. I am going through a similar experience. I got a 2019 sv a year ago and got rear ended a month ago. It bent the frame downward and is currently waiting in the shop lot for a frame to come in to replace. 16k in damages, rental until it’s fixed, and medical pain and suffering claim. I’m surprised they didn’t total it but I’m happy cause I put in work on her and want to keep it long term as well.

Few months away from the repair since Colorado shops are so backed up, but starting to think about diminished value after having read about it (thankfully). It would make me feel much better about having a frame damage warning on carfax or something similar if I ever do want to sell it in a few years, say. So, I’m confused why you don’t want to go for diminished value? I’ve gotten some appraisal estimates of 7-9k, and obviously that is true if I ever were to sell it or trade it in (like in your case). Sucks but I’m enjoying the rental (super good on gas lol), as well as some compensation which is nice in this day and age.
Hope it all works out for you man! Cheers

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
So, I’m confused why you don’t want to go for diminished value?
I did get a diminished value settlement, but it was not as much as I felt like it should have been. It wasn't equivalent to the loss I would have taken on trade in after the accident compared to what book value was on my truck. Also, in my case, the way the insurance company handled it was shady - they pressured me into accepting it by making it seem like it was time limitied and if I didn't agree by a certain date then I would not get it... They only gave me a couple of days. I did not have enough time to get independent appraisals. What I meant with my previous post was that in my case I didn't feel it would be worth my time or stress to try to get any more money out of it. As it sits right now I plan to keep it long term. What I am not keeping long term is my insurance company...

Wow. A frame swap is a lot of work, and there are a lot of things that have to be touched to do it. I'm very surprised that wasn't totaled! If they are actually replacing the entire frame, with a new frame, then it should be at least as good as it was before. If the frame is indeed bent, then definitely only accept a new frame. Don't accept them trying to repair the existing frame. I would check it thoroughly when you get it back and make sure there's no evidence the frame was sectioned or repaired in any way, and that it was in fact completely replaced.

I would definitely seek diminished value in your case, and the maximum you can get. If nothing else, if you get your truck back and it doesn't seem right, you'll have that extra cash to put towards replacing it.

· Registered
6 Posts
I did get a diminished value settlement, but it was not as much as I felt like it should have been. It wasn't equivalent to the loss I would have taken on trade in after the accident compared to what book value was on my truck. Also, in my case, the way the insurance company handled it was shady - they pressured me into accepting it by making it seem like it was time limitied and if I didn't agree by a certain date then I would not get it... They only gave me a couple of days. I did not have enough time to get independent appraisals. What I meant with my previous post was that in my case I didn't feel it would be worth my time or stress to try to get any more money out of it. As it sits right now I plan to keep it long term. What I am not keeping long term is my insurance company...

Wow. A frame swap is a lot of work, and there are a lot of things that have to be touched to do it. I'm very surprised that wasn't totaled! If they are actually replacing the entire frame, with a new frame, then it should be at least as good as it was before. If the frame is indeed bent, then definitely only accept a new frame. Don't accept them trying to repair the existing frame. I would check it thoroughly when you get it back and make sure there's no evidence the frame was sectioned or repaired in any way, and that it was in fact completely replaced.

I would definitely seek diminished value in your case, and the maximum you can get. If nothing else, if you get your truck back and it doesn't seem right, you'll have that extra cash to put towards replacing it.
Gotcha, I see! Bummer, though. So did you reach out independently and mention it? I suppose what I will do is not mention a thing and just pay for one of the professionals that do these claims to send a letter and put together a report for me and then send it in. Colorado is 7.5k small claims, so if they only offer 3k (I have a feeling since theyre already close to the value of the car and way over budget...), but yeah, I will play the patient game here and take them there if I have to. Sorry that happened to you though, so far USAA has been great to me, but I have a feeling they wont be so nice with this diminished value and just hoping I don't hear about it, or try to pressure me like they did with you. Bastards! Cheers mate!

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
So did you reach out independently and mention it? I suppose what I will do is not mention a thing and just pay for one of the professionals that do these claims to send a letter and put together a report for me and then send it in.
I did. I mentioned the diminished value at the beginning when the adjuster came out to my house to inspect the truck.
Then, I've brought up the issue of re-negotiating the diminished value claim multiple times with my claims adjuster. I have even sent emails through the Geico site to the claims department, but they keep directing me back to my claims adjuster, the same one who keeps ghosting me and not responding.

As far as your diminished value claim, that's probably what I would do if I was doing it again - not mention it until after I got an appraisal and had a report to send them. Check the rules in your state though.

· Registered
6 Posts
I did. I mentioned the diminished value at the beginning when the adjuster came out to my house to inspect the truck.
Then, I've brought up the issue of re-negotiating the diminished value claim multiple times with my claims adjuster. I have even sent emails through the Geico site to the claims department, but they keep directing me back to my claims adjuster, the same one who keeps ghosting me and not responding.

As far as your diminished value claim, that's probably what I would do if I was doing it again - not mention it until after I got an appraisal and had a report to send them. Check the rules in your state though.
Well if you haven't accepted the money yet, it's not confirmed and still open for negotiation. If its more than a few k I would definitely seek higher DV and pay 250 for a professional to make a report and send it along with a letter. Then I bet she will respond!

· Super Moderator
12,604 Posts
Insurance wants to only pay the absolute least they have to even when it means the shop cuts corners and deviates from manufacturer procedures.
I don’t recall if I posted this here but it’s very eye opening. There are absolute mandatory procedures to get a vehicle back to where it should be but many times it’s all about looks and what’s underneath matters and that’s why your vehicle is worth less.

Clint

Reactions: MAD85
21 - 31 of 31 Posts