Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The dealer which I purchased my Pro 4x from gave me their service / maintance book. It pretty much just follows the Nissan service book with a few added service items added. One of the is at every oil change they are recommending including a oil booster from ZAK. The service schedule also recommends using ZAK fuel system additive every 5k. This seems contrary to what Nissan states in the owner manual about oil and fuel additives.

- "NISSAN does not recommend the use of oil additives. The use of an oil additive is not necessary when the proper oil type is used and maintenance intervals are followed."
- "NISSAN does not recommend the use of any aftermarket fuel additives (for example, fuel injector cleaner, octane booster, intake valve deposit removers, etc.) which are sold commercially. Many of these additives intended for gum, varnish or deposit removal may contain active solvents or similar ingredients that can be harmful to the fuel system and engine."

I searched the forum and found a discussion on fuel additives. Since I pretty much use Tier 1 gas, I doubt I will take the dealership up on the gas additive. I also believe that if using a good quality oil (synthetic or synthetic blend) there is no need to use an oil additive.

My question is have any of you have experience with the ZAK Oil Booster product or Fuel Additive? If so, what is your opinion of the product?

·
Registered
216 Posts
The bottle should read Dealer Profit Booster. The dealer is trying to sell you products you do not need. Everyone feels different but such practices would keep me from using that dealership.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bottle should read Dealer Profit Booster. The dealer is trying to sell you products you do not need. Everyone feels different but such practices would keep me from using that dealership.
I agree. After I posted I did a little searching. Most sites stated the oil booster is not needed. The dealership did give me a good price on the truck and on my trade in. As I get closer to needing service I will talk to the service advisor. If it is strictly elective, I might use them. If not, then I will find another dealership to go to that does not push oil additives.

Thanks for your input.

·
Super Moderator
3,686 Posts
Because dealers lost a lot of income as vehicles began requiring less maintenance, they started upselling a lot of services that are not deemed necessary by the manufacturer, including additives and flush services. When in doubt, refer to the manufacturer's service schedule in the owner's manual and not what the dealer advertises as the service requirements.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have pretty much followed the manufactures recommended maintenance schedules. I drive about 7,500 or so miles per year. For most fluids I have gone by time rather than miles. Tune ups I tend towards miles.

Thanks for the comments. I plan not to follow the dealers recommendation on maintenance.

With the service intervals going longer, I agree dealerships are trying to up sale services.

·
Super Moderator
11,252 Posts
I'd put money down on if there was some type of lubrication related failure, the dealer would freak when Nissan refused to warranty the repair and had to pay for the whole repair out of their own pocket.
I'd go even one step further by asking the upper management if they'd sign a statement accepting full monetary liability for using these products while the vehicle manufacturer says not to do so.

Can we say they'd refuse, I'd almost guarantee that outcome.

Clint

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
As long as you use quality fluids in mfr rec. weights (& full synthetic with the newer models as spec'd) you don't need additives. However, oil catch-can will reduce film in the intake tract and reduce carbon deposits in the engine. top-tier fuel has a more robust package to keep the combustion chamber/piston head clean, and premium fuel(top tier) will clean even better.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I use top tier fuel the majority of time (90%).
May install the cache can.

Well I found the real reason why the dealership is pushing the Zak product. Zak products are from a company called Berkshire Hathaway. Found out that Peoria Nissan AZ is a subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway. Problem solved. They are just wanting to push products from the parent company.

Thanks for the inputs. While Peoria Nissan gave a great deal on the Frontier and my trade. I won't be using any of the Zak products. If they don't want to do the service, there are plenty of Nissan dealers in AZ I can use.

For those who live in the Phoenix area , what dealerships do you like for service?

·
Premium Member
7,125 Posts
Analogy:
IFF fuel is akin food, therefore engine oil is akin to blood......I'll take an occasional food supplement over anything IV/intravenous.

Capiche?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts