Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
you put your 5 speed in reverse, and just go faster then the normal person backword and get that gear whine....... well im getting it in first, second, third.... skips forth, and i get it in fith.... havent had a chance to look at it, though i have noticed it only under load..... anybody got any ideas? im thinking it might be my tranny....... or worse... my timing chain... *sigh*

·
Registered
3 Posts
Your transmission has a main and secondary shaft in which your gears ride on. The secondary shaft has bearings on each end. Most likely one or both of these bearings has gone bad, causing a misalignment in the gears producing the whine. The reason the fourth gear doesn't do it is it rides on the main shaft.

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just what i wanted to hear, thanks, looks like even more down time for the beast.....:(:crikey:

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The manual transmissions typically last forever unless...

a) the wrong lubricant is used (unfortunately very common)
b) it is abused
i do need to do a gear oil change in the tranny......

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yup, thats all ive used for gear oil... gl-4... just havent changed it yet....

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So. My tranny is starting to go..... Didn't want to shift into 1 2 4 5 I was in third. Pulled over and and it started shifting again. I'm thinking it's my syncros are going witch sucks I as might have some damaged gears due to it ha ing a gear whine while under load. Sounds like a supercharger whineing up.... This sucks:thatswck::sickly:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts