Nissan Frontier Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Ah NUTZ!! I wish I would have know that earlier, I always bought Frontiers because they RUN not for safety. Now I buy Frontiers for SAFETY instead.

:fantastic:

·
Registered
110 Posts
I heard on the news today that you were supposed to hit the brakes and put it in neutral. Anyone know if you have to push the brake pedal to shift to neutral on Toyota products?

·
Registered
16 Posts
shouldn't need to, just push into neutral. test it on your way to work. once you back out and start moving, see if u can just push the shifter up into neutral.
it will prevent u from putting it into reverse, so don't worry about pushing to hard.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
From D/OD to N should be a free shift, no need to bump the brakes. (IIRC, I haven't driven an auto in a few years.)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Nice to know that we have "smart pedals", and that Nissan has some smart engineers.

The people that died probably either didn't have time to react, or panicked and didn't think clearly because they were scared. The vehicle's brakes obviously couldn't keep up with both loads at the same time.

I think that many people aren't aware of the fact that you can shift an AT into neutral while moving, without damaging anything. Even a MT can be pulled into neutral while accellerating. They could've also turned the ignition off. I guess none of that matters when you are terrified, panicked, and are rushing towards an intersection at 120mph, futilely mashing on the brakes...

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Nice to know that we have "smart pedals", and that Nissan has some smart engineers.

The people that died probably either didn't have time to react, or panicked and didn't think clearly because they were scared. The vehicle's brakes obviously couldn't keep up with both loads at the same time.

I think that many people aren't aware of the fact that you can shift an AT into neutral while moving, without damaging anything. Even a MT can be pulled into neutral while accellerating. They could've also turned the ignition off. I guess none of that matters when you are terrified, panicked, and are rushing towards an intersection at 120mph, futilely mashing on the brakes...
You forgot one..... ON THE PHONE. :fantastic:

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Well, we don't have smart pedals. I can rev it up while the foot is on the brake and it's in Drive. i didn't hammer on it so maybe there is an upper rev limit.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Well as I was sitting at breakfast this morning, waiting on my food, I picked up a copy of USA Today and saw their article concerning the massive Toyota recall. Now we all know the reasons for the recall, the sticky gas pedal. Well, I didn't know this, (and I am sure that I should have found out without reading this article, maybe a search of the site here would have given me this knowledge years ago) but Nissan is one of a few companies that has been installing "smart pedals" on their vehicles for years. This explains why I couldn't ever power brake my truck.

Anyway, here is a link to the article if anyone is interested.
'Smart pedals' could stop crashes like those behind recall - USATODAY.com

Oh and :itsfriday:!!!
Yes, its good to know the Nissans have the "smart" peddles so we won't have difficulty stopping should the gas pedal get stuck in the "'open throttle" position. I have a '96 Toyota Rav and my gas pedal sticks in the closed position quite often. Its annoying but not dangerous as it happens when I am stopped and trying to accelerate. Its unfortunate the Toyota has waited so long to do this recall. I heard somewhere they had complaints on this going back quite a few years.

·
Registered
936 Posts
You forgot one..... ON THE PHONE. :fantastic:
Wouldn't it be a cruel joke if the real reason for most unintended acceleration claims were "people on cell phones" and the first thing they tell the guy they hit was: "I don't know what happened the car just started accelerating all on its own."

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Well, we don't have smart pedals. I can rev it up while the foot is on the brake and it's in Drive. i didn't hammer on it so maybe there is an upper rev limit.
There is an upper limit, it is right around 2200rpm.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts