Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well as I was sitting at breakfast this morning, waiting on my food, I picked up a copy of USA Today and saw their article concerning the massive Toyota recall. Now we all know the reasons for the recall, the sticky gas pedal. Well, I didn't know this, (and I am sure that I should have found out without reading this article, maybe a search of the site here would have given me this knowledge years ago) but Nissan is one of a few companies that has been installing "smart pedals" on their vehicles for years. This explains why I couldn't ever power brake my truck.

Anyway, here is a link to the article if anyone is interested.
'Smart pedals' could stop crashes like those behind recall - USATODAY.com

Oh and :itsfriday:!!!

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
good info to know

·
Super Moderator
12,703 Posts
Cool, I was not aware of our "smart pedals" in the Frontier.
Thanks for the article, I learned something today.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks for the info glad i switched my last 2 trucks were Toyotas

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
i like the comments on that where one guy said how he would have had no problem stopping if it happened to him, oh really tell that to the families of the 19 that died. something tells me its not as easy to stop in that situation as that dude seems to think it is, stupid people. But yeah i think nissan has been doing smart pedals as long they have had fly by wire which is a very nice and smart to do. granted i had a defeat switch in my z so i could heat up my tires in the wet box at the drag strip or left foot brake at the road course but never had it turned off on the road.

·
Registered
874 Posts
i like the comments on that where one guy said how he would have had no problem stopping if it happened to him, oh really tell that to the families of the 19 that died. something tells me its not as easy to stop in that situation as that dude seems to think it is, stupid people. But yeah i think nissan has been doing smart pedals as long they have had fly by wire which is a very nice and smart to do. granted i had a defeat switch in my z so i could heat up my tires in the wet box at the drag strip or left foot brake at the road course but never had it turned off on the road.
I am sorry to say that I personally would freak if it happened to me and dont have a clue what I would do, I dont think I am the only one that would feel that way.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm glad Nissan has the smart pedal on my Frontier. I also would be freaked out if my throttle stuck and my brakes didn't work. At that speed there would be very little time to react

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
its not something that anyone ever expects to happen and even if you did i'm still sure it probably wont go well for you as we've all see on the news. something tells me that between profit loss, recalls, and lawsuits toyota is going to lose their butt on this. this isn't just a safety hazard for the drivers of toyotas but everyone else on the road as well, you never know when one of those ticking time bombs is going to slam into you and your family. scary thoughts

·
Registered
318 Posts
I think those 19 drivers were idiots, to be honest.

Put it in neutral, turn the engine off (optional - let it blow itself up, for all it's worth), and apply brakes and pull over.

But hey, all the safety stuff we have in our vehicles is the product of covering the lowest common denominator.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Brakes are the most powerful system in a car. They should be able to stop the vehicle even if the throttle is stuck (slower than normal obviously). But, without warning and in the wrong situation it could certainly be disastorous.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I think those 19 drivers were idiots, to be honest.

At first I thought the same thing. However, you put people in a situation like this that dont have time to think about what they are going to do before hand will panic. One moment they are driving like normal and the next their car is accelerating out of control. Their first thought for a few seconds is going to be WTF... Then hit the brakes, etc. If they shut off the engine they have to be careful that they dont turn the ignition all the way back and lock the wheel. If they can avoid that they can steer, but it wont have any assistance and wheel be difficult. During all this they still need to watch out for other drivers, barriers, houses, dogs, cats, squirrels, and on and on...

I wonder how many people will start to have panic attacks now when their camry does something slightly abnormal. Shut the engine off in the middle of the Interstate when there is nothing wrong? Could happen.

On a side note I wonder how many competeting car manuf are goint to try and capitalize on the "smart pedal"? GM was already trying to move in for the kill by offering some additional money on Toyota trade in's that are affected by the recall.

I dont know who would fall for this. Accelerating issues or not, Toyota still makes top notch products. The day I trade my Toyota in for a GM product...

·
Registered
2020 Toyota 4runner TRDOR
4,593 Posts
I knew our gen 2s were throttle by wire, but I never considered how that would effect power braking... and I believe that are some legit uses offroad for being able to do that (to a limited degree).

·
Registered
770 Posts
you can still power brake, it just does not go over 2200 rpms or so. mine will still spin the tires on pavement powerbraking, just not very fast

·
Registered
704 Posts
cant these cars simply be turned off in an emergency ,lets say this happens to you
pedal stuck(non responsive)WOT what do you do.keep going till you hit something/someone.i wonder how many people died in these cars before toyo found this to be a problem?

·
Registered
615 Posts
Like said, put trans in Neutral or turn ignition off. Or for god sake reach down and pull out the floor mat! I do feel bad, because I'm sure they were nice, good people that died. But all it takes is a little common sense and brain cells.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
I see so much inattention by other drivers on a daily basis. It amazes me how many people talk on the phone or text while driving. In that situation I am sure they would be in over their heads before they were able to gather their thoughts enough to react, which might be too late.

I often do a drill in my head when I am driving, of where I would go if something were to suddenly appear in my path or even this very thing that we are talking about. I had an old Ford many years ago that would sometimes have the throttle stick. Back in that day I didn't have power brakes or a steering wheel lock so it was no problem to shut off the engine and coast to a stop until I was able to correct the situation.

At my age now I am not sure if my reactions would be quick enough or if I have the strength to overcome the power steering.

I have a Toyota, but it is older than the recall cars. It has never given us any problems at all and it is 10 years old and almost 80,000 miles. I was actually thinking about a Camry for my wife when she retires, but will have plenty of time to wait and see if Toyota gets this cured.

·
Registered
13 Posts
all the safety stuff we have in our vehicles is the product of covering the lowest common denominator.
I applaud you sir.

As a professional driver, I can't expect everyone on the road to be as competent behind the wheel as those of us who are passionate about it and train for extreme maneuvers. However, there is something to be said for the astounding lack of common sense in this country.

I take the vast majority of safety equipment out of the vehicles I drive for fun. But when I'm on the road, those things are there to keep the old lady having a stroke, the hurried businessman, and the inexperienced teenager from endangering me.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
As for the people that died due to this fail, when the story first broke, It said that one of the drivers had enough time to call and have a conversation with a 911 operator. That to me says that people don't know how to react in a pressure situation. While I am glad that my Frontier had the smart pedal, I have driven a vehicle with no brake pressure due to a failed master cylinder (my 1968 mustang's master to be exact). This happened during rush hour traffic and yet somehow, I was able to successfully drive it with no way to stop except for the e-brake to the garage.

Now, I know people have taken to calling it the parking brake, but I was taught that it is the EMERGENCY brake. That name suggests that in an EMERGENCY you should use it to stop.....

But then again, common sense is not common (as we all see every day)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts