Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So many months back I started an experiment. I replaced one of my reverse lights with a 12VDC 20W GY6.35 halogen bulb. The bulb was a fair bit brighter than the stock reversing bulb. I had to remove the factory bulb and use some tools to squeeze the metal tabs tighter in the socket so that it would positively retain the GY6.35 bulb by just its metal pins.

Last week I was at a home improvement store and remembered the test and that it had been working fine for these months. So I bought a pair of 35W 12V GY6.35 bulbs, and I replaced both reversing lights with these. So far, so good, no fuses blown, the reverse lights are much brighter.

Sorry, no pictures yet. I still have the factory bulbs, I may set my camera up on full-manual exposure and take some before/after pictures of what the reversing lamps are shining upon if I have time. I also have a light meter so I can attempt to measure the actual change.

But either way, it appears that the factory fuse is adequate for the pair of 35W 12V bulbs.

·
Premium Member
5,933 Posts
C'mon man, you know pics are what sells! hahah

But seriously - 35w halogen bulb, be careful... that's a lot of heat source in a socket and housing that is designed for. You basically doubled the regular wattage from the OEM bulb (921 17.5w). Did you try a longer test under full load (vehicle on, all lights on, stereo on, A/C on)?

Hopefully nothing happens, but I've seen way too many lamp housings burned or melted because of high wattage halogen bulbs to know that it's definitely a possibility - specifically because you are still using halogen.

·
Super Moderator
10,503 Posts
I’d put two LED lights low by the bumper as opposed to taking a risk of wiring issues. Nissans have always been finicky in that way. Back up lights (reverse lights) are more to warn someone behind you of your intentions, not to light your way. Same thing as it’s a parking brake, not an emergency brake.

Clint

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Not only will it burn the socket, it will burn the lens if left in reverse for more than a very brief time... which is usually the case. Some folks have had luck with LED backup lights for a little extra brightness. But if you need a lot of light, do what Clint did and strap a couple of 'low hangers' on the bumper.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did not do an especially long test, but I did test with the vehicle running, with the radio on. Didn't test with the AC on, since it's winter, even if I am in the desert.

I'll check the lamp housings again soon. So far function has been maintained, both lights continue to illuminate when in reverse, and continue to remain brighter than the OE bulbs.

As far as actual amperage goes, I looked it up and the fuse for the backup lights is 10A. Two 35W bulbs are only drawing around 5.8 amps.

·
Premium Member
5,933 Posts
I did not do an especially long test, but I did test with the vehicle running, with the radio on. Didn't test with the AC on, since it's winter, even if I am in the desert.

I'll check the lamp housings again soon. So far function has been maintained, both lights continue to illuminate when in reverse, and continue to remain brighter than the OE bulbs.

As far as actual amperage goes, I looked it up and the fuse for the backup lights is 10A. Two 35W bulbs are only drawing around 5.8 amps.
Okay good - so amperage is fine... but the added heat might give you trouble.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts