Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My needle point was just below 1/2. Stopped to fill it up. I put 8.8 gallons in .. huh ?? I would have expected somewhere near 10 gallons.

Oh and mileage was 148.2 / 8.8 .. 16.84 mpg

You guys ever see that Seinfeld episode when Kramer and the used car guy took out a car with just about no gas. .. I think after the first oil change Ill carry 2 gallons of gas with me and be the Guinea pig. Run it until it runs out of gas....

·
Registered
605 Posts
I pretty much have figured out that at 1/4 the truck has used about 4 gallons. At 1/2 it is 8 to 8.5 gallons. at 3/4 it is 12 - 14 gallons.
One time I drove the Frontier till the warning light came on. Within a couple of miles I gassed up. It took 15.5 gallons.

I read somewhere that the tank while 21 gallons will only hold 19. 2 gallon of air space is left to accommodate the gas fuel expansion depending on how hot it is outside.

·
Registered
2015 Nissan Frontier SV Crew Cab LWB 4x4
1,844 Posts
The gauge on my '15 reads a little lower than the tank-fill actually is. Probably good to help keep people from running out of gas.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The fuel gauge on my 2016 Pro4X is very screwy. The computer will say I have zero miles left about the time the needle on the gauge is directly over the line for empty. I can carry on driving until it's at least 1/8" below the E line (30-50 additional miles) and still only fit about 19 gallons into the tank. When I first got the truck this past fall, I filled it up when the DTE read zero and it still had between 6 and 7 gallons in the tank. This whole thing is kind of annoying because I can't seem to get it to reset and act right to give me an accurate MPG on the computer readout.

·
Super Moderator
11,277 Posts
The fuel gauge on my 2016 Pro4X is very screwy. The computer will say I have zero miles left about the time the needle on the gauge is directly over the line for empty. I can carry on driving until it's at least 1/8" below the E line (30-50 additional miles) and still only fit about 19 gallons into the tank. When I first got the truck this past fall, I filled it up when the DTE read zero and it still had between 6 and 7 gallons in the tank. This whole thing is kind of annoying because I can't seem to get it to reset and act right to give me an accurate MPG on the computer readout.
DTE is based on all the tanks you’ve run and averages it out. Want it more accurate, unhook the battery for a few minutes and reconnect and it resets and you’ll see it’s more close to what you think it should say.
It’s not anything more than a suggestion as to what’s left, don’t get too into it as a way to know what is actually in there. Just drive and enjoy your truck.

Clint

·
Registered
994 Posts
I pretty much have figured out that at 1/4 the truck has used about 4 gallons. At 1/2 it is 8 to 8.5 gallons. at 3/4 it is 12 - 14 gallons.
One time I drove the Frontier till the warning light came on. Within a couple of miles I gassed up. It took 15.5 gallons.

I read somewhere that the tank while 21 gallons will only hold 19. 2 gallon of air space is left to accommodate the gas fuel expansion depending on how hot it is outside.
Yea, that's not true, 21 gallons is the capacity of fuel it will hold, its more like 23 gallon size overall including the fill neck.. I've filled 20 gallons, 19.8 the other week.

·
Registered
2016 Frontier SV 4x4 Crew Cab
1,100 Posts
As the manual states, the gas gauge is an estimated amount remaining, rarely are they super accurate. It's also funny how one half of the tank seems to drain faster than the other on many cars...
the ones that say "x miles left" are always conservative on every car to help people not run out of gas, on some cars you can go over 50+ miles beyond "0 miles left" .
for it to still have 6 gallons in the tank and say 0 miles left sounds like something is not right though...

·
Registered
348 Posts
I'm weird about filling up... I usually fill up around 1/4 tank left. In most of my cars. Its also just more convenient since I pass costco on my way home, so I usually just fill up Fridays or Mondays.

But, mine seems relatively accurate. Usually my DTE is about 310ish miles after a fill up. Hand calculated in the winter I've been seeing 16mpg. So 16x19=304. In the summer I was averaging closer to 18mpg, and the DTE numbers were more around 340 after a fill up. 18x19=342.

Of course each time I use 19 gallons in the calculation, I'm assuming the computer does too. Once winter ends I may drive it until DTE says 0 miles just to see how much I can fill it with then.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Yea, that's not true, 21 gallons is the capacity of fuel it will hold, its more like 23 gallon size overall including the fill neck.. I've filled 20 gallons, 19.8 the other week.
Then it would seem for me I would have about 5 gallons left when the low fuel light comes on. Good to know that the tank can hold 20 gals.

·
Premium Member
7,137 Posts
21.1 gallons is what Nissan claims as our fuel tank capacity. I put 20.1 in just last week. If I fill when the low fuel light comes on, I can usually put in a hair less than 17 gallons. Seems, for me at least, that I have a 'safe 50 miles' to go if needed after illumination.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts