Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was cleaning my engine bay the other day and I noticed some yellow slim on the lower radiator mount can't figure out where it's coming from or what it might be. It doesn't seem to smell, and I haven't noticed it in the 2 years I've owned the truck and I'm under the hood often checking oil and other fluids. Maybe something related to running the AC a lot lately? See pics for better description.

Can't get the last photo to rotate sorry. It shows better where the fluid is pooling.

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
That silver tube is AC line. Yellow would suggest coolant. Being so close to the radiator that would make sense. Typically you do not see leaking refrigerant.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Went for a drive, looks like it might be leaking from the "S" shaped silver rigid hose coming from the radiator area. I'm guessing that there's coolant running through it?

That "S" shaped silver rigid hose coming from the radiator area is the metal portion of the discharge line (high pressure) of the AC system. If that's where the leak comes from, what you are seeing is some PAG refrigerant oil that has some UV dye in it (not engine coolant).

That line - or at minimum its O-rings - will need to be replaced. For that, the refrigerant must first be recovered, the repair done, then evacuation and refill of your R134a.

·
Premium Member
7,856 Posts
Just run your finger underneath the a/c fitting and along the under side of that line (it gets hot so if you just turned the truck off give it a sec to cool down) and see if it's got a drip. If it's yellow it's most likely the a/c oil as stated above.

·
Registered
44 Posts
It will be cheaper to go ahead and fix the leak if it is coming from the AC. They can recover the refrigerant and make the repair. Then refill with the recovered refrigerant. Then you don't have to pay for all new refrigerant.

·
Super Moderator
3,681 Posts
It's the oil from the A/C system. Nissan has been installing dye in their A/C systems from the factory since around the early 2000's, so that's why it's that yellow-green color. Looks like you located the leak to the high pressure hose to condenser fitting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts