Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all! I'm the proud new owner of a 2000 Nissan Frontier SE 4x4 that's yellow, has a sunroof, running boards, and a tonneau cover although the latter is going up for sale here shortly as I don't care for tonneau covers.

The truck is nearly immaculate on the exterior and the interior is almost as good. There's 110,000 on the clock. I have a few issues to sort out but nothing major: there's some sort of retaining ring rattling loose on the driver's side exhaust, where it crosses under the drivetrain, and it needs to be re-homed; the front suspension screeches and pops when turning as tight as possible (torsion bar bushings?); there's a small power steering leak somewhere; the rear main seal is seeping; the rear tires are toast; the aftermarket stereo head unit is nice, but the speakers sound like they are blown OEM; the front shocks feel bouncy; the timing belt service is due; all fluids will be replaced with synthetics.

My driving is largely limited to the street with four wheel drive serving to handle the two weeks of snow per annum more gracefully. So far, from searching this site, I've found that the Frontier community regards Bilstein shocks as a very good street/offroad compromise with Monroe Sensatrac being a decent budget compromise. I haven't found anything yet on the tires: I have two newer Goodyear Eagle LS 255/65/16 on the front but the reviews for these tires on Tirerack.com are negative and the tires are pricey at $150 each so I may just replace all four tires, perhaps with the Kumho APT KL51 or the Yokohama Geolandar H/T-S G051.

Back to searching (I seriously despise the anti-spam measures in the Search function)!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Welcome.

I have always wanted a yellow Frontier as the color is eye popping.

I nice set of road tires are the Firestone Destination AT or the Bridgestone Dulalars AT. I have the Firestones. They run about 400 - 500. Just my opinion on this.

Your front screech is from running on the stearing stops. You can replace the nylon caps or lube the bolts.

Rear main leak is normal but most wipe down what looks to be wet and is such a slow leak you cannot even notice. If it dripping then I'd say wipe it and check it.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Welcome to the party! Your suspension issue is simple... Bump stops... Little rubber caps that go on the arms... Order lots because your going to eventually need them... You need to do your timing belt if you have not already done so (if your a v6 that is)Its due at or before 110k You probably have a bad Knock sensor and being that I see Joefrontier2 is looking at this thread right now,,,,, He will more than likely elaborate on the KS issue... Any questions, feel free to PM me and I'm sure Joe will welcome the same...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks guys, this is exactly the sort of response that I was hoping for.

I'll check out the steering bump stops. Would that also account for the pop I'm getting in tight turns? It feels like something binding and then releasing suddenly and it will do it more than once if I continue the turn, like if I just turn a slow donut with the steering wheel as tight as it will go. The popping is in addition to the screeching sound.

I take it that the knock sensor won't activate the Check Engine light if it has failed?

Oh, and what do you guys do for a service manual? I like factory manuals myself but the Nissan publications are prohibitively expensive, even by factory manual standards. I'm leaning towards buying a copy on a CD from eBay now, although I don't like reading from a PDF for that sort of work.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
If you look hard enough you can find a free FSM. There use to be a site called something like phat20.net. however, last time I went there it had been take over.

The nissan FSM are quite nice and explain quite a bit.

The KS take a lot of work to get to on a v6. It's below the lower intake. I wrote up a KS thread on how to relocate it to the upper intake. It will not throw the light.

Try changing the bump stops first. You can adjust them a bit to get the right amount of turn before the sequel or binding.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
THEY MAKE SUNROOFS ON KCs?

god damn i want one

·
Super Moderator
12,703 Posts
I've said it a million times on here before, I love that solar yellow color on the 1st gens.
And way to go on scoring the sunroof, I use mine every day unless it's raining.

Truck looks like it's in really great shape.
Apparently the previous owner was as anal as I am to keep it that nice. LOL.

Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
574 Posts
HOLY CRAP!
Congrats, what a wonderful looking ride.
Had Nissan offered the '09 PRO-4X in the same yellow they have for the Xterra, I too would be rolling in yellow...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts