Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've been trying DAMNED hard to figure out how to build out my truck. What to do, where to start, etc...

In my searching, I found this article:

Short Course Style Prerunners - Prerunner Trucks - Prerunner Maniac

I think this is something like what I want to do!!

It seems like this would do well for where I live, the kinds of surfaces I drive on. (gravel, loose dirt, back country roads, mountain roads)

Now, I just have to make it happen with my fronty instead of the Ford they built in the article....

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
:laugh::ugogirl:

hope you have some cash to throw away!

·
Registered
417 Posts
It will be a ton cheaper than building a trophy truck. But still wont be cheap.

·
Premium Member
13,985 Posts
Where are you located?? Pre-runner style vehicles aren't typically meant for the surfaces you described. Flat, open desert areas, and sand is typically what you see them on. And yes, as the others have said it isn't going to be cheap.

·
Registered
9,344 Posts
So, I've been trying DAMNED hard to figure out how to build out my truck. What to do, where to start, etc...

In my searching, I found this article:

Short Course Style Prerunners - Prerunner Trucks - Prerunner Maniac

I think this is something like what I want to do!!

It seems like this would do well for where I live, the kinds of surfaces I drive on. (gravel, loose dirt, back country roads, mountain roads)

Now, I just have to make it happen with my fronty instead of the Ford they built in the article....
you options are find used SLR kit (He is out business)

but total chaos still makes a kit Total Chaos 1999-2004 Nissan Frontier/Xterra 4x2 Long Travel Suspension System

fiberglass is here
FiberwerX Offroad Fiberglass Products: Fenders, Bed Sides, Dashs, and Complete Body Kits
Hannemann Fiberglass Inc.

and inspiration is here
Lets See Some Frontier Prerunners - DezertRangers.com

were are you located?

Where are you located?? Pre-runner style vehicles aren't typically meant for the surfaces you described. Flat, open desert areas, and sand is typically what you see them on. And yes, as the others have said it isn't going to be cheap.
Flat? whoops are not flat.

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
you got $100k to build a $7k truck?

·
Premium Member
4,118 Posts
You dont have to spend anywhere near 100k to build a prerunner, though there are many out there which cost even more to build. I think the shortcourse style is jut that... style. Use whats out there and just setup a low ride height and done.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
$$$

Hmm..

I guess I'd be looking to build a truck version of a Rallycross car...?

Mixed surfaces (ill-kept asphalt, to grass, to dirt, etc), going between each at different points of the drive. Keeping the speed up around 50mph, even in the transitions.

Are there trucks that race like this?

No, I don't have a ton of cash to spend. And, this would be my first ever project anything like this.

I'm open to suggestions. I just really want to make this truck "mine". I want it to have some more personality and ability beyond stock more than anything.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nwga

I'm in North West Georgia. In the mountains.

It would be nice to be able to put a rack on top for my Hangglider as well.

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
you would have pleanty of fun with a total chaos longtravel kit and some custom leaf springs and rear suspension. there are cantilever kits for rangers that could probably be retrofitted to our trucks. probably cost you $7k to get it to where you want it, but it would be damn fun.

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
they are closer to $3k, but with shocks, you are looking to spend around $4k.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'd say 10k's the limit. But, over probably 2 to 3 years. It's not gonna be a fast build. I'm all about researching before I jump in TOO far... Sometimes it works out for me.

Definitely call me out on this if I'm just being retarded. If I should just do the air box mod, put a better exhaust on it, potentially headers, and maybe put a little more meat on terra firma...? Oh, and armor!

I really had no idea how far you could go with one of these little beasts till I bought one and started checking this place out.

And, THANK YOU ALL for your help, advice, and especially patience! I've never been a "gear-head" of any caliber really. But there's something about this truck that makes me wanna tinker and build on it and really make it a bit of a monster!!!

·
Premium Member
4,118 Posts
I really had no idea how far you could go with one of these little beasts till I bought one and started checking this place out.
This is close to epitome for 1st gen prerunners IMO

In this pics its got deavers in the rear but its linked now
DesignsByKirby.com - KirbyOffroadRacing.com - Custom Fabrication, Welding, Class One Race Cars, Prerunners, trucs, Custom Parts, Custom Bumpers, roll cages, rocker gaurds - Serving Los Angeles County - San Bernardino County

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I like to think about that kinda fun as a possibility later on in life. However, for now I need to think about FUNctionality (FUN with some functionality still intact). That is to say that I'd still like to be able to take the trash to the dump, put rack on top for a canoe or my hangglider, etc....

I just got the K&N filter for my truck and put it in today! I can tell a difference in where I need to shift, just from the short drive from AutoZone to the house! I'm getting more stoked about this adventure as I research and learn more about the potential!

Oh, and what the H E double hockey sticks are "deavers", Frijolero? You must remember, I really don't know what more than half of the mods and parts are when people on here are talking about them. I'm not dumb, and I'm very educable, but I just get lost in the jargon. It's hard to know what's going on when you can't speak the language. I'm learning, but there is a curve.

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
Deaver is a manufacturer of leaf spring's. and one of the most well known. leaf springs are those curved bars under or over your rear axle.

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
its called explaining in laymans terms.... something i have to do alot in my job.. :facepalm: and if you have nothing constructive to say please dont say anything at all....

1 - 20 of 63 Posts