Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That really tick me off with my Frontier.

I only have 4000 miles on my 2016 CC Pro-4X and I find that for as old as this platform is, that it still has so many issues.

Today I was helping a buddy out. He has a canyon on his property and in it people have dumped trash over the years (prior to him fencing it off). So we were doing clean up today. There was a old, round corner refrigerator that we left for the end. And when we got to it, there was no room left on his trailer to load it up.

So I break out a tow strap and am going to drag it out. The trail in and out of the canyon is pretty steep and very "gravely". No problem. I put the truck in four low and we start out of canyon following my buddy in his Dodge 1500 and flatbed trailer full of junk.

I get about a 1/4 of the way out and am getting lots tire spin....the frig is hanging up in the ruts, etc....so I decide to engage the rear locker.

So it won't "lock"...locker light just flashes. So I put it in reverse. Light goes solid and the ABS light lightes up. Good I think. So I put it back in 1st. ABS light goes out and the locker light starts flashing again. WTF!?!!

So I switch it out of 4wheel drive and then back into 4 low. Now a buzzer starts squealing and the "drivetrain" symbol disappears and the 4x4 light starts blinking!!!!

I try switching it back to 2wd. Then back into 4 hi. And then 4 low. Nothing works. So I shut the truck off thinking this is great. I let it sit for a few minutes and start the truck.
The squealing buzzer is gone and the drivetrain symbol is back. I put it in 4 low. So far so good. I switch the locker....flashing locker light. Whatever. I start driving up the hill. Finally...after 100 feet or so...it locks in and I am able to pull the frig up the hill with minimal wheel spin.

So pretty much the whol rear e-locker is a joke IMHO. I mean if you actually need it....oh, you know....like your stuck or something...it is pretty much useless as it does not seem to want to lock up unless you are moving for awhile.
I tried it on flat ground once we got unloaded, and the same result as far as it not wanting to lock in until it has been driven a bit. "Swerving" from side to side seems to help it lock in a little faster, but still takes moving forward to get it to engage.

I know folks with ARB lockers and they are pretty much instantaneous when engaged. My buddy's Jeep Rubicon's lockers lock in fast as well.

Rant off.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When you say works....does that mean you flip the switch and it locks? Because from all read on these forms, it is a common issue. With the Frontier, Xterra, and Titian as well.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Comparing arb to the oem locker is apples to oranges. Did you put the tranny in neutral prior to switching to 4 lo? Lockers need to mesh up depending on the location of the teeth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
469 Posts
Did you put the tranny in neutral prior to switching to 4 lo? Lockers need to mesh up depending on the location of the teeth.

I was going to say this. You have to put the truck in neutral when going to 4 low. My locker works fine in my 05 Nismo.

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
Yepper .... Just as the others have said, placing the transmission in neutral works the best. Here's a link to the differential lock wiring modification that allows the Nissan's to use the e-locker in 4-Hi, 4-Lo and even 2-Hi (not on pavement). Simple wiring mod, and it works!
How-to: Overide M226 e-Locker - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)

PS .... Just a comment / opinion on your problems ..... You ran out of momentum on the steep grade, in gravel and needed the locker engaged. When it wouldn't engage immediately, on the fly you got frustrated and blamed the truck. What makes me think this? I have done it as well, many of us have. :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well it sounds like there is a problem with my truck and I will be taking it in next week.

Yes, I stop the truck...so not on the fly. Put it in neutral. I was already in 4 low before going up the hill. The issue is the rear locker does not seem to want to lock unless the truck is moving a bit. And then it still takes a long time....say 45 sec to a min plus. So again...if you actually need...or think you are going to need the locker, you better engage it prior to getting stuck.

As for the bypass mod, from what I have read, the wiring could be different on the 2015 and newer trucks and it might not work. And I have not been able to find a extra control module for it and I don't want to try it on the one in the truck if it does not work. But thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
2015 Xterra Pro4X
816 Posts
Improper switchology is the issue, there's nothing wrong with the truck. The locker won't just engage if internals​ aren't lined up, you might need to roll forward just a little. This is almost always the case for me. If you still think you have a problem, read up on how e-lockers or lockers, in general, operate. There is nothing wrong with your truck.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So riddle me this. If you are stuck, and the truck won't move. And need to activate the locker by rolling forward...then what?

I messed with it today and same results. I am stopped. I put the trans in neutral. Foot on brake. Switch into 4 low. Then engage the locker switch.
Result....blinking locker light. I sat for a timed 2:37 min., then started driving forward at a crawl. At about 75 feet of movement the light goes solid and the ABS light lights up.

So if this is normal...what a worthless design unless you are planning getting stuck and know you epneed to engage the locker 50-100 feet before you need it.

As far as reading up on lockers....I have owned two rigs with ARB lockers. One with just a rear locker and one with front and rear. I have a buddy who have a late model Rubicon and his lockers switch pretty much instantly when engaging them.

I have a appointment to take it in next week, and we will see what the dealership says about it.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
always put it in neutral buddy! or if you look in your owners manual, it will have it there too!:nerd:

·
Registered
2015 Xterra Pro4X
816 Posts
So riddle me this. If you are stuck, and the truck won't move. And need to activate the locker by rolling forward...then what?

I messed with it today and same results. I am stopped. I put the trans in neutral. Foot on brake. Switch into 4 low. Then engage the locker switch.
Result....blinking locker light. I sat for a timed 2:37 min., then started driving forward at a crawl. At about 75 feet of movement the light goes solid and the ABS light lights up.

So if this is normal...what a worthless design unless you are planning getting stuck and know you epneed to engage the locker 50-100 feet before you need it.

As far as reading up on lockers....I have owned two rigs with ARB lockers. One with just a rear locker and one with front and rear. I have a buddy who have a late model Rubicon and his lockers switch pretty much instantly when engaging them.

I have a appointment to take it in next week, and we will see what the dealership says about it.
You are comparing apples and oranges, air lockers to electronic, that's the difference. If you're stuck, it's too late to engage. If I'm in 4lo, I also have my locker engaged. 75ft to get a solid light is about right. Again, this is standard, nothing is wrong the operation, as you present it.

Edit: The link below explains the new Titan diff, but ours should be similar.
http://www.nissantechnicianinfo.mobi/htmlversions/2015-2016_Dec15-Jan16_Issue_5/Differentials.html

Edit to the edit: If you're stuck and spinning, you can still get the locker to engage. If the rear wheels are spinning, you'll eventually get the locker to engage.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well let's hope we can all plan ahead on getting stuck so we have the foresight to lock the diff.

·
Registered
2015 Xterra Pro4X
816 Posts
Foresight is being in the correct configuration for the worst possible conditions, even if you don't ever experience the worst.

Read up on e-lockers, many off-road models​ offered now have an e-locker and they all seem to operate similarly.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I know exactly what you did... because I did the exact same thing. Except my situation was a bit worse. When I got the blinking locker light, I took it out of 4wd and back to 2wd, and back again. This is a, well... big no-no.

Essentially you can confuse the 4wd actuator attached to the T-case by flopping the switch back and forth. It ends up going into some kind of failsafe position when you do this.

When I encountered the issue, I still needed to get the truck up the steep icy gravel driveway to the cabin, so I ended up crawling under the truck to do a diagnosis.

I removed the T-case skid, unbolted the 4wd actuator from the t-case, turned the key to RUN, turned the knob to 2HI, to 4HI, and then to 4LO to ensure the actuator was moving. Once I determined the actuator was ok, I then moved to the keyed axle on the transfer case. That moved just fine. So, what I did is I turned the knob to 2HI, aligned the t-case with the position of the actuator using a big flathead screwdriver. Then I bolted the actuator back up, started the truck and tested the 4wd system just to ensure everything worked, and it did. So I bolted the skidplate back on, and up the driveway I went. Haven't had an issue since.

I've also studied the procedure for engaging the 4wd system, and I won't be making that mistake again.

Bottom line is, be patient with the system, follow the rules, and it'll work just fine. Also, probably best to have the locker engaged before you need it.

·
Premium Member
2,133 Posts
Well let's hope we can all plan ahead on getting stuck so we have the foresight to lock the diff.
Curious, since it's been a week, what teh dealer told you... guessing he told you it's working as designed. You DO need to plan ahead before you get stuck. If you go down the trail in 2wd, get stuck in mud and try to engage 4Lo it probably won't want to do it. I know because I've made that mistake once or twice. You should be reading the terrain and choosing gearing before you're on it. eg: stickshifts heading into a mudhole or deep water crossing need to select 2nd or 3rd BEFORE they're into the hole. Much teh same in sand dunes as I understand it.

The truck is built with safeguards to prevent "stupid" drivers from damaging the truck. The transfer case has sensors to prevent it from grinding. Same with rear diff. They both also have a sensor that 'tells' the ecm that it has SUCCESSFULLY engaged. Sometimes the dashlight is blinking because it doesn't see its engaged despite the gears being meshed/engaged.

I had a Detroit E-locker years ago in my GMC. It was not instantaneous. And that was Without a sensor. IIRC the e-locker in the Pro4X is built by Detroit/Eaton for nissan. The bypass mod will allow the locker to engage faster as it won't wait for the gears to be lined up before trying to engage them. It'll let the springs toss them together and they'll engage when they engage. I had several times I flipped teh switch and hit the gas and then heard geargrind as the diff attempted to lock (but didn't)

Also I'm surprised that the ABLS wasn't able to get you out. I am impressed with how well it works. As long as I don't have a tire up in the air, as long as I apply constant moderate throttle it always climbs out/over the obstacle.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It goes in tomorrow 6/15. I just got done removing the breather mod and installing the factory breather. Don't want to give them any excuse.

Service manager told me it should engage within 10 sec if all the parameters are met. They have replaced the rearend on a few trucks due to non-engaging/slow engaging lockers he said.

So who knows? Maybe get a new rearend on a new truck with 4000 miles....

He said having to drive it 75' or more and it taking longer then 10 seconds to engage is NOT right. I agree.

I will post a follow up when I get it back.

·
Premium Member
6,397 Posts
Not to beat a dead horse, but I have always just flipped the switch if I think I will need the locker. Easier to flip it back off after clearing the obstacle than risk it not working.

With that said, I have found it seems slower to engage the first time I use the locker after not using it for a while. After that it will engage and disengage just fine for the rest of the trail ride.

With that said, are you waiting for it to engage while driving in a straight line or have you tried giving the steering wheel a little input? Many times a simple pull on the steering wheel one way or the other will allow everything to line up and the locker engages.

·
Premium Member
6,674 Posts
The truck is built with safeguards to prevent "stupid" drivers from damaging the truck.
Sorry, after reading through this thread I actually laughed out loud when I read that ::laugh::

·
Registered
377 Posts
That really tick me off with my Frontier.

I only have 4000 miles on my 2016 CC Pro-4X and I find that for as old as this platform is, that it still has so many issues.

Today I was helping a buddy out. He has a canyon on his property and in it people have dumped trash over the years (prior to him fencing it off). So we were doing clean up today. There was a old, round corner refrigerator that we left for the end. And when we got to it, there was no room left on his trailer to load it up.

So I break out a tow strap and am going to drag it out. The trail in and out of the canyon is pretty steep and very "gravely". No problem. I put the truck in four low and we start out of canyon following my buddy in his Dodge 1500 and flatbed trailer full of junk.

I get about a 1/4 of the way out and am getting lots tire spin....the frig is hanging up in the ruts, etc....so I decide to engage the rear locker.

So it won't "lock"...locker light just flashes. So I put it in reverse. Light goes solid and the ABS light lightes up. Good I think. So I put it back in 1st. ABS light goes out and the locker light starts flashing again. WTF!?!!

So I switch it out of 4wheel drive and then back into 4 low. Now a buzzer starts squealing and the "drivetrain" symbol disappears and the 4x4 light starts blinking!!!!

I try switching it back to 2wd. Then back into 4 hi. And then 4 low. Nothing works. So I shut the truck off thinking this is great. I let it sit for a few minutes and start the truck.
The squealing buzzer is gone and the drivetrain symbol is back. I put it in 4 low. So far so good. I switch the locker....flashing locker light. Whatever. I start driving up the hill. Finally...after 100 feet or so...it locks in and I am able to pull the frig up the hill with minimal wheel spin.

So pretty much the whol rear e-locker is a joke IMHO. I mean if you actually need it....oh, you know....like your stuck or something...it is pretty much useless as it does not seem to want to lock up unless you are moving for awhile.
I tried it on flat ground once we got unloaded, and the same result as far as it not wanting to lock in until it has been driven a bit. "Swerving" from side to side seems to help it lock in a little faster, but still takes moving forward to get it to engage.

I know folks with ARB lockers and they are pretty much instantaneous when engaged. My buddy's Jeep Rubicon's lockers lock in fast as well.

Rant off.
My 2017 book says to switch in and out of 4x4 low, you have to put the trans in neutral.

·
Registered
6,578 Posts
Mine never has a problem. Seems to engage instantly. Going out of locker mode often take a while. I also engage the locker and 4wd in general before I get stuck. Also I figure less wheel spin is better for my spider gears.

I do not stop or put the truck in N when I engage. Just flip the switch while driving.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts