1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
It'll be interesting on how the R8 coils work out for you. I know people have been experimenting with them on the VQ35 engines for a while. As far as the XTP plenum spacer, I have one on my 2006 Pathfinder. I did a number of bolt on mods plus a tuner. Of the bolt ons, the spacer was the only one that I could actually feel a difference, mostly in the mid-range. Since I do spark plug replacement without pulling the upper plenum, it also gives a little more room, which is a nice bonus.

·
Registered
20 Posts
How exactly does this increase performance just less heat soak like a throttle body spacer ?
Adds length to the runners of your intake manifold. Generally speaking, longer runners produce more torque while shorter produce more horsepower. Like I said, that is a rather broad generalization. To your point of the throttle body space, they are almost categorically worthless for modern fuel injected engines.

·
Banned
583 Posts
If you notice, todays engines all have manifolds that have double the length of runners than motors from the 80-90's.The longer the runner the greater the velocity of the A/F mixture into the cyl, with the velocity of air approaching 5-600mph range it allows the cyl when at BDC to actually continue to fill actually compressing the charge slightly until the valve closes.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
For me, it was worth it just for the ease of replacing the #1 and #3 spark plugs! I no longer have to take the #1 coil apart to get it through the opening in the manifold!

·
Rogue Admin
13,109 Posts
For me, it was worth it just for the ease of replacing the #1 and #3 spark plugs! I no longer have to take the #1 coil apart to get it through the opening in the manifold!
Oh I agree! I just had to replace the #1 coil, was grumbling that it could have at least been one of the even numbered coils to kick it. The spacer made it easier to get that out and back in. If Nissan notched the intake just 1/2" in, the plug would come right out as well.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Just remember that if you do want one, scroll all the way to the bottom of the page to get the members only prices. Save you $45.00

·
Registered
153 Posts
And take full advantage of the upgrade with and UpRev tune! Makes all the difference!!

·
Registered
153 Posts
It does give you 5 tunes, but I take full advantage and spend the time with a good tuner on the dyno, gets the most out of money well spent! And, sure makes it more fun to drive!!

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
And it is really not that much for a dyno tune. Well worth the investment. Just do your homework and find a good tuner. The first tuner I used really didn’t change anything and fudged the numbers. I found that tuner on the uprev website too.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
If the only thing that is being done is a plenum spacer, I don't know if going with UpRev is worth the money. If intake and exhaust mods (i.e. long tube headers) were being made or upgraded cams, then UpRev is definitely the way to go! But just for a plenum spacer, I would suggest going a simpler, less expensive route, like a Bully Dog tuner. Just my 2-cents!

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Bully dog is around $430 and I had mine dyno tuned for around $650 which included the uprev license.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I was ready to take the spacer out until I had my frontier dynoed, only made a difference in the midrange, once we spent the time dialing it in on the dyno made all the difference. Now on to the next upgrade, then only have to fine tune!

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
Curious: what's UpRev's deal, @9balllrook ? There's a member here w/ long tubes who got an UpRev dyno tune, fwiw.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Here is my dyno will only xtp ims, airaid intake, gibson cat back, and 87 octane. I do not care about peak numbers just low and mid range power gains.

8CE7660F-CC4A-4E8C-8E26-17A5BDC942F0.jpeg

next time I go for a retune I will have added Doug Thorley short tube headers and 93 octane.

·
Registered
18 Posts
That early TQ is what I want. I’ve done nothing yet, but planning to order the spacer and wasn’t sure if I needed to have it tuned for it to work properly ?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts