Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering if you guys could give me a little insight. I dropped my 09 off to my mechanic last week to do plugs and install an XTP IMS while I was on vacation. I come back this week to have him tell me he couldn't get the two studs out that needed to be replaced. He sprayed them and tried heat. He was afraid they were going to snap off. I would really like to get the IMS in and wonder if anyone has any suggestions or experiences with the studs snapping. Any help would be appreciated. I'm considering trying to lay the truck up for a weekend so I can spray the studs a bunch of times before attempting to remove them. FYI, the truck has about 93k miles on it

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
3,839 Posts
That was one of my concerns when doing mine, but, fortunately, mine came out okay.

Reactions: crzycrkr

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Mine had 193,000 miles ('05) when I installed the IMS, and the studs came out without any spraying. The studs were tight, however, and made a loud "pop" when they loosened.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What did you guys use to break them loose?

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
3,839 Posts
I sprayed it with a little P-blaster, installed the inverted torx socket and ratchet, gritted my teeth and turned it until I heard a "crack." Opened my eyes to make sure it wasn't broken and then it came right out!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Any take photos of their install? Also, thoughts on performance?
I watched a video linked to by XTP to get me through - the install was performed on an X-terra, which was a bit different from my '05 Fronty, but not by much. Other than that torx socket, you don't need anything else that's out of the ordinary. The install took me less than an hour, including re-watching some video segments and putzing around ;-)

The torque between 2 and 3K rpm is much improved - a godsend for 6MT trucks like mine; I think that it's a worthwhile upgrade for not a whole lot of money.

·
Premium Member
12,169 Posts
hmmm i didnt like the idea of applying tq at the top of the bolt. i took two nuts and took them down as far as they went, then pressed against one another and the bolts came right out.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Was wondering if you guys could give me a little insight. I dropped my 09 off to my mechanic last week to do plugs and install an XTP IMS while I was on vacation. I come back this week to have him tell me he couldn't get the two studs out that needed to be replaced. He sprayed them and tried heat. He was afraid they were going to snap off. I would really like to get the IMS in and wonder if anyone has any suggestions or experiences with the studs snapping. Any help would be appreciated. I'm considering trying to lay the truck up for a weekend so I can spray the studs a bunch of times before attempting to remove them. FYI, the truck has about 93k miles on it

Thanks
One of mine was extremely difficult. Sprayed PB and let it sit. Eventually I tried tightening it just a touch and that seemed to do the trick. Note that I did not have the proper socket.

Any take photos of their install? Also, thoughts on performance?
Touch more low end oomph. Anecdotal but, I feel like my mileage went up about .5mpg

·
Registered
534 Posts
I've been trying to source one in black or silver but no luck yet. I missed the group buy and the only bite I did get on a used but never installed spacer the color was red and I just can't get over that lol.

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
I've been trying to source one in black or silver but no luck yet. I missed the group buy and the only bite I did get on a used but never installed spacer the color was red and I just can't get over that lol.
did you reach out to NCFronty (the seller)? If he doesn't respond here (he sold his truck for a bowtie IIRC) try his website. When I bought mine he honored the GB price back in '15. Just ask. Doesn't hurt anything, worst he can say is no.

·
Super Moderator
3,839 Posts
I got a red spacer on my Pathy. Honestly, it's so buried in there, especially with the engine cover on, you can hardly see it, anyway.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I just bought from his site for $215

hmmm i didnt like the idea of applying tq at the top of the bolt. i took two nuts and took them down as far as they went, then pressed against one another and the bolts came right out.
I must be having a brain fart, but can you elaborate further? For some reason I'm not getting what you did

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I must be having a brain fart, but can you elaborate further? For some reason I'm not getting what you did

I might be wrong as I have not looked at mine, but if it is a stud I think Andy took 2 of the nuts that would fit on the stud and threaded them down to just before they hit the manifold and locked the 2 nuts together and then used a wrench on the bottom nut to break it lose so that he would not have the rotational torque in the length of the stud while turning, it would just be the tiny bit between the botton nut and the manifold.

·
Registered
534 Posts
did you reach out to NCFronty (the seller)? If he doesn't respond here (he sold his truck for a bowtie IIRC) try his website. When I bought mine he honored the GB price back in '15. Just ask. Doesn't hurt anything, worst he can say is no.
I just did and he was a big help, ordered and on it's way soon. Thanks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts