Nissan Frontier Forum banner

121 - 136 of 136 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
6 pin wire harness for xterra off road switch

Hello!

I found a harness that plugs into the Xterra Off road Lamp Switch. CON-640 6-CONDUCTOR LOCKING CONNECTOR W/ LEADS $2.60 plus shipping...

All Electronics | Electronic and Electro-Mechanical Parts and Supplies at Discount Prices

I have everything wired in my truck except the switch thanks to this thread! ::smile::

I had to use a razor to cut off the ridges to get the connector to sit all the way down on the pins on the switch

Attachments

·
Registered
267 Posts
Hello!

I found a harness that plugs into the Xterra Off road Lamp Switch. CON-640 6-CONDUCTOR LOCKING CONNECTOR W/ LEADS $2.60 plus shipping...

All Electronics | Electronic and Electro-Mechanical Parts and Supplies at Discount Prices

I have everything wired in my truck except the switch thanks to this thread! ::smile::

I had to use a razor to cut off the ridges to get the connector to sit all the way down on the pins on the switch
Thanks for this!!! still confused as hell but at least I wont be hacking my switch up now

·
Registered
59 Posts
Update:
Went ahead and installed it while ignoring the non-existent green wire. Something's up:
1) switch illumination works as expected.
2) pressing the offroad lights switch does nothing.
3) off road lights are being turned on and off by turning off ignition (every other time). Example: turn ignition to on, then off. Lights off. Turn ignition on, then off, lights go on. Turn ignition on, then off, lights go off. Why is the switch being energized by the ignition switch?

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
I'd need a drawing of the latching circuit but you clearly have it miswired. you have the trigger attached to the ignition lead. Do you have any of the circuit tied to the BCM? the swiching of the ignition power is whats toggling the latch, rather than the button push. I'm guessing you have one leg of the circuit tied to a constant +12 that's why its retaining "memory" of its last state. OEM design would have the circuit unlatch every time you turn off hte ignition

·
Registered
59 Posts
Fixed

I'd need a drawing of the latching circuit but you clearly have it miswired. you have the trigger attached to the ignition lead. Do you have any of the circuit tied to the BCM? the swiching of the ignition power is whats toggling the latch, rather than the button push. I'm guessing you have one leg of the circuit tied to a constant +12 that's why its retaining "memory" of its last state. OEM design would have the circuit unlatch every time you turn off hte ignition
Thanks. Bought the correct (5-wire) latching relay and works like a charm.

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Okay got all this together, stupid question, how do you the the dummy plug out of the dash? Through the front or out the back?

·
Registered
378 Posts
I have a 20" Rigid Industries light bar that I'm trying to wire up using the OEM Xterra Off Road Light Switch. I understand that the switch is a momentary switch and so I need a latching relay. Per a thread on Titantalk.com (OEM Off Road Lamps switch pin out with pics - Nissan Titan Forum) the 12V latching relay that is mentioned is a Durite Latching change over relay (part no. 0-728-02), which I bought directly from Durite. In this thread the OP also lists the OEM Off road switch pin outs. What I plan on doing is using the wiring harness that Rigid provides (that incorporates an inline fuse holder and a 12V relay) along with the Durite latching relay; in addition to the harness that is mentioned in post #121 that plugs into OEM Off Road switch. I'm attaching a PDF file of how I think it should be wired... Key word 'think' I'm not an electrical guru at all. I'm a mechanical guy. So I'm turning to the Frontier community to look at what I have and help put me on the right path if I'm totally looking at this wrong. Thanks in advance

Attachments

·
Registered
378 Posts
I can't believe that I've yet to receive any sort of feedback on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Back from the dead.

Just completed the install as outlined by Nismo, using the updated DEI design. Everything worked well, thanks for the great right up!

Turned out great!

20190726_220757.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey I'm a little confused on the latching relay you have set up. So based on what I know, latching relays keep a circuit closed by shutting with a pulse. Which is what allows the xterra switch to work.

Are you able to shut down the system by pressing the button again or does the truck have to lose all power before the lights go off?

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
The button servs as a toggle (pulsed) signal. Rather than using standard toggle switch.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I know, this is a bit of an old thread, not long, long stale, but stale enough.

The lights on the Xterra are controlled by the BCM, right? Dumb question, but does the Frontier's BCM have the necessary programming and pinout to run a set of accessory lights if the full Xterra wiring were spliced-in from the switch to the BCM? Seems like it would help to eliminate the need for additional relays that way, especially if there's a relay position available in the stock position.

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
I know, this is a bit of an old thread, not long, long stale, but stale enough.

The lights on the Xterra are controlled by the BCM, right? Dumb question, but does the Frontier's BCM have the necessary programming and pinout to run a set of accessory lights if the full Xterra wiring were spliced-in from the switch to the BCM? Seems like it would help to eliminate the need for additional relays that way, especially if there's a relay position available in the stock position.
The roof boobs on the X are set so they only enable when high beams are selected. When you go to low beam it drops the latch and when you go back to high you have to turn them on again.
I would be surprised if the frontier has the capability to run boobs like you are suggesting. Its easier to either build the relay pack, or run a normal switch.

121 - 136 of 136 Posts