Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all, the name's Eric. Bought a 2017 frontier last month after years of considering one. I hunted and off-road a bit with my 05' Xterra S 4x4. Last year when I got a deer and put it in the back, I knew it was time to find a truck.

Got some good tips from you all already on what to do with the truck once I got it. So far, upgraded to 275/75/R16 ATs (Hankook Dynapro AT2's), put a Ready Lift 2.5" leveling kit, 5100 Bilsteins, and OEM 'skid plates'.

Earlier this year I attempted Broken Arrow in Sedona in the X and got just past the mushroom looking rock but couldn't get up that tough ledge and had to go back down. Lots of scraping. Broke my trailer plug in the process. With the new truck and upgrades, I aired down at the trail head (down to ~23 psi, not comfortable enough to air down to 15 like I saw stated in here), and made it all the way through with only a couple scrapes on the skids (frame actually), a couple bumps on the receiver, and no pin striping! One of those pink jeep drivers was giving me crap at the start "oh you're pretty brave taking your new truck out here" (I still got the temp license plate on the back). We let them pass and they hit up the submarine rock. Turns out they ended up right behind me again as I was descending devils staircase. Showed him what's up and nailed it without any scrapes or stops. So proud of my new truck!

·
Registered
781 Posts
Psh... pink jeep drivers... whadda they know about a real truck?

I'd love to have a X.

Edit: Forgot to welcome you to the forum. Enjoy your new truck!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Munga! Yeah I miss the X it treated us very well, from 105k to 161k, but I need the bed from the frontier, and we aren't ready to be a 3 car family. I'm just glad it feels so similar, though not quite as nimble.

Reactions: Munga Brown

·
Registered
572 Posts
Welcome aboard, Eric! I've always liked the X's, especially the Pro-4x trim.

Prolly a pipe dream, but it would be neat when the '21 Fronty starts production for a similarly updated X to be built alongside of it

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
congrats on the new wheels! As you've no doubt noticed, its same as driving the X, but poorer breakover and departure angles. BUT climbing is much less 'tippy' feeling. and taller lifts are not as much a hassle ( I really hate that nissan used a CV at the pinion end ). Biggest thing I notice jumping between my fronty and X is the turning radius and how much easier it is to negotiate tight spots in the X, and how much more stable the frontier is (like on quick lane changes)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh yeah I miss the turning radius. I had a 2020 ranger as a dealer vehicle while my wife's car was in the shop and that thing turns on a dime! (that 10 speed felt wierd though)

The breakover and departure angles were the 1st thing I tried to improve so that I can go all the same places the X could. I'm looking at the shrokworks rear bumper to pull the hitch receiver up higher, but after trying the truck offroad this weekend, I'm deprioritizing it.

But definitely feels "stable" on the ground.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts