Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that there is quite a difference in volume levels on my XM radio compared to FM, CD etc. The volume of the XM is very low and I have to turn it up to about 25 in order to hear it properly.
When I switch to a different media, the volume is much louder and I have to turn it down to about 10-12 for decent sound.
Called the dealer, they said this was normal, I said it isn't.(at least on any other vehicle I've owned).
Can you help me? Is it normal or not and if not, what should I do?
Driving a 2016 SV with premium pkg.

Thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've noticed that there is quite a difference in volume levels on my XM radio compared to FM, CD etc. The volume of the XM is very low and I have to turn it up to about 25 in order to hear it properly.

When I switch to a different media, the volume is much louder and I have to turn it down to about 10-12 for decent sound.

Called the dealer, they said this was normal, I said it isn't.(at least on any other vehicle I've owned).

Can you help me? Is it normal or not and if not, what should I do?

Driving a 2016 SV with premium pkg.

Thanks.

I have to have mine right at 25 to hear it well.

I use my Bluetooth for google music as well and it has to be at 25 to hear well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
485 Posts
Interesting, my 2012 has the factory installed AM/FM/XM stereo and there is no difference in volume levels when switching from one type of source to another. I usually have it set from 8 to 12 or so for what I consider normal levels for all 3 sources. Of course I have an older system but the fact that it has more or less equal input levels indicates there is a problem with yours.

The fact that you guys both have to turn it up to 25 for XM is definitely not normal. It may mean that Nissan is getting these newer audio systems, from whoever they buy them from, adjusted wrong. Some audio systems have a way to equalize the inputs from the different sources, I assume you have looked at the documentation and verified that the user can not do this?

·
Registered
92 Posts
My 2014 Frontier with the rokford system and my wifes 2013 Rouge with the Bose system both do this. The stream from XM is so compressed that is lessens the quality and make it a bit more muffled.

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
I've never noticed but I'm not an audiophile.

·
Registered
485 Posts
My 2014 Frontier with the rokford system and my wifes 2013 Rouge with the Bose system both do this. The stream from XM is so compressed that is lessens the quality and make it a bit more muffled.
I agree the sound quality of XM/Sirius is pretty dismal. But I didn't think that should cause the volume to be any lower. It seems people with newer audio systems should hear the poor quality muffled sound at the same volume as the AM & FM radio stations. Otherwise I would have the same problem with my 2012 audio system that they do and I do not. Somewhere in the audio system after all the inputs are converted to audio there needs to be individual adjustments for levels and they all need to be equalized, it appears this has not been done correctly.

·
Registered
532 Posts
My sirius sounds fine. Just wish the Fosgate system had some more juice.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
358 Posts
I don't notice any difference in volume between sources on my 2015. I do notice the huge difference in sound quality when going to satellite though. Man it's bad lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
10,434 Posts
All five of my vehicles have xm radios but only the ones with a free trial are active, sound quality sucks and they are out of their minds on monthly cost. Any product that offers a discounted promotional price is over price they are trying to entice or tease you into a longer term. I would signup for $60 for 12 months.

Clint

·
Registered
216 Posts
I would signup for $60 for 12 months. Clint
That's exactly what I pay, $29.99 for six months. But you gotta' play the game. That being, call just before your renewal date and tell them you'll cancel if that can't give you a great deal. They'll generally make an offer or two that's higher and just say no until they get down to $29.99 (sometimes $25.99). It's worth the $5 a month it for long trips alone (IMHO).

·
Super Moderator
10,434 Posts
It would easier if you didn't have to play that game twice a year. I don't want them to have access to renew on my card automatically, I'd prefer they send a statement and I renew as a one time payment.
I just drive to south Florida and back and yes it's nice to be able to stay on a channel for as long as I choose.
The company doesn't GET IT, currently they get zero of my dollars based on their prices. It is absolutely NOT worth $16 per month.

Clint

·
Registered
216 Posts
The company doesn't GET IT, currently they get zero of my dollars based on their prices. It is absolutely NOT worth $16 per month.

Clint
I agree, if they just charged everyone $5 a month, no games, they'd probably have more subscribers than they could handle.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I don't get it. Would you expect to pay $5 a month for cable? You get a ridiculous amount of stations with every type of music and entertainment possible no matter where you go. With no commercials and you don't have to listen to the same 5 songs over and over again all day long.
Once I got it for my Suburban I never looked back. Got it in my Fronty as well and that's pretty much all I listen too. One in a blue I'll use my ipod.

Reactions: c72980

·
Registered
11 Posts
I don't get it. Would you expect to pay $5 a month for cable? You get a ridiculous amount of stations with every type of music and entertainment possible no matter where you go. With no commercials and you don't have to listen to the same 5 songs over and over again all day long.
Once I got it for my Suburban I never looked back. Got it in my Fronty as well and that's pretty much all I listen too. One in a blue I'll use my ipod.

100% agreement. The price they charge for the quality of content is spot on.

I get incredible talk radio and I get awesome music shows hosted by artists I like and I can stream online and on the app with the ability to rewind or use on demand.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

·
Admin
3,282 Posts
I meant to test this earlier, but I finally remembered to test this today,

On my '13 I would say the XM volume level is about 75-80% of the FM volume.

I rarely switch back and forth so I never noticed that difference before.

·
Super Moderator
10,434 Posts
In my case I listen to only 2 music and 1 talk station, not worth $16 a month.

Clint

·
Registered
61 Posts
It's funny I see 25 listed here as 25 is like my default volume setting but then on FM or whatever I do think it's a bit louder but not much, like I might turn that down to 21 or 22.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I pay about 108 bucks a year on XM. In my truck the volume is pretty low on XM but then again I have really good hearing (like dog ears) so it doesn't bother me. One thing I found though that some of you may not realize, on my 2013 SV radio (non Nav with BU camera), there is a setting to allow for speed sensitive volume increase. I think I have mine on a setting of about 2 or 3. It helps a bit to overcome speed increased noise.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts