Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am fairly new to the forum and wanted to get some input from others who may have some experience with this subject. I have a 2006 Frontier CC SE 4x4 and I just installed my XM Radio about a week and a half ago. I had this exact setup in my old vehicle and the antenna was mounted on the trunk lid. Long story short...it left a bunch of scratches. I have done a bit of research on here and saw that some people had good luck with the antenna mounted inside their truck. I have tried this method in a couple different spots in my truck, with little success. I have no problem having the antenna on the exterior of the truck (most likely through the cargo light opening). My worry is the paint getting scratched, as a result of the antenna moving around when I go through the car wash, etc. Has anyone had any experience (good, bad or otherwise) with glass mount antennas for XM?
I guess I am just looking for suggestions to help me decide what direction to go with this. Any help, suggestions, advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have mine in the center of the roof right at the windshield,but could you use some review mirror glue and mount it close to the mirror on the inside.
I should have mentioned before that I first tried it on the little square in the center of the dash, @ the base of the windshield. When that did not work all that well I used double sided tape to mount it to the inside of the windshield behind the rear view mirror. With the first method the signal cut out too much for my liking. I figured the second method would work a lot better because the antenna is up so much higher, but to my surprise it hardly works @ all.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I ran mine in the cab and out from the cargo light on the top back of the cab. Works great and no one ever notices it.

·
Registered
210 Posts
x3 with the cargo/3rd brake light install. I've ran my truck through the car wash 2 times and it has not moved at all. I can't speak on the scratches issue since I've only had it a month like that, but I've read on here from another member that he has had his installed like this for over a year with no issues.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
by the cargo light

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have my sirius antenna mounted right on the dash and it works perfect. I prefer mounting on the inside, I don't really like the way it looks on the outside. Inside mounting makes running the wire alot easier and you don't have to worry about scratching paint or leaks. But test out different locations and see what works best for you.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
On My Titan it was by the third brake light. The new frontiers have it mounted on the roof by the rear view mirror. Reception was so so with the after market receiver/antenna (Titan) Factory mount (Frontier) is awesome very rarely loose reception.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I have my sirius antenna mounted right on the dash and it works perfect. I prefer mounting on the inside, I don't really like the way it looks on the outside. Inside mounting makes running the wire alot easier and you don't have to worry about scratching paint or leaks. But test out different locations and see what works best for you.
Same here, no need to place it outside. Mine is a little closer to the windshield. I ran the wire through the little area (mine has the headlight sensor) between the vents. Dremeled a little bit for the cable to go through so that the headlight sensor would snap back down in place.

·
Registered
174 Posts
i tried mine on the dash in the little pocket thing, didnt work for **** so ran it out the sunroof, i'm gonna try it further up towards the windshield.

apparently it uses the metal to help gain signal? thats what i heard anyway, a buddy of mine mounted one under the dash on the dash frame, said it worked good, not on a frontier tho.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks to everyone for all of their input. I am not sure that the antenna will or will not move, while going through the car wash. Based on what I am reading, it won't. I was more trying to avoid having the wire outside of the vehicle and the paint getting scratched. I think I worry too much sometimes. :)

I think I am going to go through the cargo light opening, using the write up that I saw on the boards the other day. Thank you all, again for your input. I will let you know how it goes.

·
Super Moderator
12,703 Posts
Mine never moves at the car wash, so there's more peace of mind on that topic for you.

As far as the scratches . .
a) when you bucket wash, clean under the magnet by hand.
b) I haven't noticed any scratches, but a ring/mark does form around where it makes contact, this always comes off after hand washing and/or waxing.
c) it's on the roof so don't sweat it ;)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just an update... I finally decided on which route to go with my antenna. I used advaqua's write up in the following thread: http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f24/satellite-antena-diy-installation-55221/. I did it today and it took less than an hour, from removing the antenna from the interior to completion of the write up. It looks great and the reception is fantastic! Thank you again for all of your input.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts