Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had an XLERATOR dual in single out muffler installed for $318.
This was recommended by the local muffler shop for performance without the noise.
It's a small muffler that is basically an internal y pipe with glass packing. For its size, I was amazed at how quiet it is.
I was looking for more performance/flow than sound and I got it.
Not much drone, sounds like a Z.

·
Registered
562 Posts
any video's on it? I've been looking for a muffler with a some-what nice sound, with performance.

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No vids. I have nowhere to post them or a camera with decent sound.
I didn't notice an RPM change at speed.
Sound is subjective. There's a slight rumble at start up but then its quiet. If accelerate, it sounds good. I would like it a little louder (meaner) but after owning a car that would wake up the neighbors pulling out of the driveway, this is nice.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
after the glass packing fully breaks in the sound should be a bit louder but not much louder.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
yes just give it a few weeks to break in, are you a 4banger

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Did they build a new Y pipe for you then to run from the cats? What year/model are you?

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's a 2010 KC Pro4-X 6 speed.
The the tech removed the y-pipe and just fabbed pipes to fit. It's a hack job but its under the truck and works.
Flows much better than that OEM D-shaped y pipe thing.
The muffler is essentially a straight through design. looking in either end, you can see though it. Again, for as small as it is I thought it would be a fart can and drone.
I need to find an intake and Cortex next.
I'm looking at the Injen CAI, a plain replacement K&N, BMC or UNI plate filter due the ease of installation.
The Volant sounds like it will just piss me off due to lack of standards, attention to details, quality assurance and workmanship pride.

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
The Volant pissed me off during the install but the first time I mashed the gas peddle after the install, all was forgiven. If I did it over again I would go with the Injen though.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
so whats everyone having problems with, with the volants- the horn issue and just plain fitment? or what lol

·
Super Moderator
12,703 Posts
so whats everyone having problems with, with the volants- the horn issue and just plain fitment? or what lol
One box attachment hole had to be oblonged to line up with the truck's threaded mounting hole and the horns had to be moved.
That's all I had to deal with on with my Volant install.
Not a big deal at all.

Should something designed for our trucks new right out of the box have to be modified to work correct?
Probably not, but again, it was not a major issue on my 2006.
I'm very happy with my Volant aside from the install hassles.

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
It's the overall finish of the product. It fits and does what it's supposed to but there is more work involved than there should be. The biggest two complaints are all the holes in it don't line up with the mounting points on the truck and the hole for the MAF sensor has been known to not be cut right causing fitment issues. To me, moving the horns is not that big of deal because that's just part of modding. Sometimes things just have to be moved to when modding.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Looks like he just got rid of the Y pipe completely.
Yeah, I saw that, I just didn't know if the older models had a different setup stock where it could have been a dual in. Never crawled under a pre-05 model.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts