Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have seen post about this before and thought it only happened to people that jump there trucks or that wheel extremely hard but today i went through a section of a trial and hit my hitch on the ground pretty good didnt think anything of it till i got home and started washing it but damn dented both sides and its down to metal on one side only thing i can think of is that with the 2" body lift that the bed/cab were able to move a little more just cause of the longer bolts have less sheer strength still sucks though now i have to take it to the body shop cant just leave it bare metal could be an expensive whoops :(

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
There is no point to take it to the body shop if you plan on wheeling again. Might as well just get a body color pen and slightly sand the area and color over the area. If you have it sprayed or filled or whatever, it will just happen again.

Didn't someone mention something about adding some kind of material to this area to prevent the rubbing while offroading. It won't prevent the flex but may limit it and limit the "damage" caused by it.

·
Banned
6,781 Posts
Thats an expensive whoops if you take it too the body shop.

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
Didn't someone mention something about adding some kind of material to this area to prevent the rubbing while offroading. It won't prevent the flex but may limit it and limit the "damage" caused by it.
What if you were to make some sort of bumpstop? Just a thought, not a big 1, just enough to keep it from pushing the cab. But like I mentioned just a thought

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
its the flex that causes it , i have it on both side of the cab
so do i but the passenger side is the worst almost looks like a pellet gun shot it cause the bed is rough right there lol

if i use a pen to fix the paint will it still rust ?? it is bare metal :crikey:

What if you were to make some sort of bumpstop? Just a thought, not a big 1, just enough to keep it from pushing the cab. But like I mentioned just a thought
i dont know if it would work but maybe a half inch piece of rubber on each side bolted to the bed might work have to look into that

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
I think NizMut posted within the last year that they make a sandpaper pen, a primer pen and a paint pen. Use them in that order and it should be good to go. Just make sure the surface is clean before you start the primer and paint.

It may also be beneficial to make some kind of corner cover out of rubber and slip it on when offroad and take it off when use it as a DD.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I think NizMut posted within the last year that they make a sandpaper pen, a primer pen and a paint pen. Use them in that order and it should be good to go. Just make sure the surface is clean before you start the primer and paint...
^I've got those dents too... I use(d) a Sharpie and touch(ed) up the white parts.. :laugh:

·
Registered
534 Posts
My '06 did the same thing... I found that airing down the tires when on a rough trail really helps stop the bed from jumping around. I just used the factory touch-up paint to fix it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
"if i use a pen to fix the paint will it still rust ?? it is bare metal"

If it ever does rust, just apply a Rust Converter then paint. (they work great) Available at Walmart or any auto parts store.

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I think NizMut posted within the last year that they make a sandpaper pen, a primer pen and a paint pen. Use them in that order and it should be good to go. Just make sure the surface is clean before you start the primer and paint.

It may also be beneficial to make some kind of corner cover out of rubber and slip it on when offroad and take it off when use it as a DD.
thanks ill have to pm nizmut ask him about the touch up pens but i dont know if a slip on cover will stay on if the bed is jumpin around enough to hit the cab

^I've got those dents too... I use(d) a Sharpie and touch(ed) up the white parts.. :laugh:
nice but i dont think a sharpie is gonna work for my bare metal but lets see if you can get some bare metal going at hollister next weekend :laugh:

My '06 did the same thing... I found that airing down the tires when on a rough trail really helps stop the bed from jumping around. I just used the factory touch-up paint to fix it.
thats a good idea never really though about airing down on this trip because traction wasnt an issue but definitly will next time thanks

"if i use a pen to fix the paint will it still rust ?? it is bare metal"

If ever does rust, just apply a Rust Converter then paint. (they work great) Available at Walmart or any auto parts store.
if it does ever rust i might seek profesional help at that point but lets hope it never gets that far

heres a better pic of the passenger side

·
Registered
377 Posts
Mines been hit pretty badly too and I don't jump my truck either. Like someone already said, its got to be the flex. On my truck I can see where the front of the box has rubbed the cab along almost the entire width. Its especially bad at the spots where you took the pics because there's a bit of a sharp corner on the box there. What I was eventually going to do before painting the chip was to grind/sand that corner down a bit so that its flush and then paint both sides. That way if there's any more contact, it'll spread the impact out and hopefully just chafe and not chip. If/when I ever get around to doing it, I'll post some pics.

My buddies 03 Tacoma doesn't have this problem, so much for the big tough boxed frame....

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
It looks like it is time to lose the bed and to build a complete cage rear. Looks like the only solution to me, lol.

That last pic looks nasty. I do thou think a DIY solution is needed over a body shop. Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
here you go, they use glass fiber so wear gloves or get itchy finger webs:laugh:

Wally World aka Walmart

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
...nice but i dont think a sharpie is gonna work for my bare metal but lets see if you can get some bare metal going at hollister next weekend :laugh:
^wayyy ahead of ya..

as said earlier it's just gonna get bashed again.

·
Banned
6,781 Posts
thanks ill have to pm nizmut ask him about the touch up pens but i dont know if a slip on cover will stay on if the bed is jumpin around enough to hit the cab

nice but i dont think a sharpie is gonna work for my bare metal but lets see if you can get some bare metal going at hollister next weekend :laugh:

thats a good idea never really though about airing down on this trip because traction wasnt an issue but definitly will next time thanks

if it does ever rust i might seek profesional help at that point but lets hope it never gets that far

heres a better pic of the passenger side

That last pic looks like some shot your vehicles cab man.

·
Registered
227 Posts
is this something that can happen to a non body lifted truck? or just bodylifted? damn dude thats crazy it should do that

·
Banned
6,781 Posts
I just went out to my truck and it has 2" of lift. It has a slight ding nothing noticeable on the right passenger side like you have nismo5. I know its from my recent inccident at Coal Creek where my right tire was stuff completely into my bedside creating the flex in the suspension needed to have my bed hit the cab. Nothing as extreme as yours though. But now i can say i have it.

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It looks like it is time to lose the bed and to build a complete cage rear. Looks like the only solution to me, lol.

That last pic looks nasty. I do thou think a DIY solution is needed over a body shop. Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.
i think im gona try and stick some rubber bumpers in there some how i will post when i ghetto rig something in there
here you go, they use glass fiber so wear gloves or get itchy finger webs:laugh:

Wally World aka Walmart
thanks robin ill check it out i love wallmart i always feel better about myself after each visit:laugh:
That last pic looks like some shot your vehicles cab man.
right where the metal on the bed bends theres a pointy spot never noticed it till it decided to hump my cab
is this something that can happen to a non body lifted truck? or just bodylifted? damn dude thats crazy it should do that
yeah look at the above pic of devius 1 he has no body lift but he likes to take hillclimbs at 50mph:laugh: just depends on how hard you drive your truck

1 - 20 of 39 Posts