Nissan Frontier Forum banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
yea the air raid is a piece of crap i ahve to change my signature i took that thing off a while ago

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
lets be honest here..basically any tbs is a piece of aluminum with a hole in it. some try to add a spiral, some make it the exact same size as the tb opening...there are only soo many options and so few differences. I really like WRP products, but this one should be interesting to see what sets it apart. how about something more useful like the swaybar or the controller.. just my $.02

·
Banned
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Well I'm pulling for ya. You do make very nice stuff and so far everyone has been real happy. 75.00 sounds like a decent price....if it produces. I paid 25.00 for an Airaid and still couldn't justify keeping it.

understood - i will also be doing a comparison to the airraid since we have that on the test vehicle as well

lets be honest here..basically any tbs is a piece of aluminum with a hole in it. some try to add a spiral, some make it the exact same size as the tb opening...there are only soo many options and so few differences. I really like WRP products, but this one should be interesting to see what sets it apart. how about something more useful like the swaybar or the controller.. just my $.02

well it makes a difference if it's to small to make any difference and if any research is behind it - the dyno testing is why we are doing that - i have several different sizes to try it with to determine two things:

a) does it work for the vq40?

b) if it does, what is the best size for this?

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I'm following this one.

·
Banned
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
yay today is the dyno day - hopefully we won't have problems with the dyno again -
seems like it's always my luck, when i schedule for the dyno, something happens :) 3rd time is a charm right
today i am going to measure the before and after of both the airraid unit and our new prototype units - i will be taking the highest of each, for example, i will measure the highest hp output without any tbs on, and then i will measure the highest output with the airraid and then the highest with ours - it should be itneresting to see what exactly unfolds this morning

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
good will. hopefully all goes well and we see some nominal gains. better make sure mine has a tap though..

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Post up all the numbers when you get them. I'd love to see what you're able to do over Airaid.

·
Banned
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Post up all the numbers when you get them. I'd love to see what you're able to do over Airaid.

well i just got back from the dyno a few moments ago - and well, it's very interesting -

I am going to take some pictures of the dyno sheets so i can post them up in a few minutes -

·
Registered
505 Posts
well i just got back from the dyno a few moments ago - and well, it's very interesting -

I am going to take some pictures of the dyno sheets so i can post them up in a few minutes -
ooo.. the suspense is killing us.

X2 I'm dyin over here, it's been like 50 minutes:comphead::comphead::comphead:

·
Banned
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Ok here it is guys -

I didn't want to leave room for speculation on how ours work v\s the competition's out there -

We discovered that you guys reporting losses from the AirAid Units to be accurate. We ran multiple test on this vehicle to see just where the losses came in. When you compare the Air Aid unit to stock, we found that immediately once we took the unit off, we started making more power.

On the dyno, we were able to pull 4 more lbs of torque and 3 horsepower. I decided to use the lowest numbers from all accounts to show the smallest gains so that there was little room for what people like to refer to as "dyno error" - It is my best speculation that the reason why people lose power after close imspection is that the Air Aid Unit is not only to small thicknesswise, but the inner diameter of the unit is to small. I don't know if this is because they want to "force" air through the vortex thing, or because it's just a sloppy measurement? I do know that by bottle necking right after the throttle plate makes complete sense to why you guys say that it losses power.

That being said - We Moved on to a side by side comparison of the AirAid vs Ours -
It is apparant that their unit is just to small - it's not going to have the added benefit of increasing the plenum size like it should do -

In these two dyno's listed below we are comparing two things

a) the first dyno is the WRP Technology TBS vs the Air Aid unit - We made 9lbs of tq and 6 hp more then the Airaid.

b) This is the stock numbers and then the WRP tech numbers: - I think the biggest gain from the smooth bore throttle body spacer is that it allows the larger plenum to benefit when the secondaries open up around 4500 rpms - see the shift in the power band.

Notice how we have the stock numbers on one, you can compare them to the airaid unit on the other - there are losses evident. The other thing I want you guys to notice is one of the things I have always said before. Using cheap gasket maker breaks down over time. It is only best to use the factory gasket for several reasons. It's replaceable, and will last the lift of the truck if not tampered with. Something I can't say the same for on the other unit....

·
Registered
505 Posts
I cant read the text on the sheets. Could you retype the hard numbers?

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
how thick is yours? i know with the one I have, it took some creativity to fir the CAI without having to shorten the tube.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts