Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed new rubber bushing between the front sway bar and frame. Over time my truck had developed a strange vibration / quiver when driving on rough paved roads. It is hard to describe the feeling that it had in the front end, quiver is the best word I can think of. The whole front suspension and cab would shake like Jello… I thought it was my front shocks for sure.
The other day I was under there changing my oil and was looking at the original rubber bushings on the sway bar. They looked hard and deformed, actually squeezed out of the U bracket that holds them in. I picked up a $8 set of new bushings Beck-Arnley, just stock rubber. They are not easy to put in, can’t believe a 12mm thread can be that tight, broke one socket, then switched over to my air impact.

OMG what a difference! The test drive was one of those rare moments when you say “this is nice”. It felt like I had rebuilt the entire front end and put new tires on as well ! In my 52 years of wrenching on cars and trucks this would be one of the more noticeable part changes I have ever done for $8. That sway bar is a critical component in the front suspension of these trucks and has to be held tight. I thought about urethane but I’m an old man, I like a smooth and quiet ride.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
There was a Nissan service bulletin issued on this problem. Nissan updated the sway bar mount bushings so that the "split" in the bushing is no longer directly between the sway bar and the cross-member, where the bar would squeeze through and hit the frame. Now the split is diagonal from the corner, which corrects the issue.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Installed new rubber bushing between the front sway bar and frame. Over time my truck had developed a strange vibration / quiver when driving on rough paved roads. It is hard to describe the feeling that it had in the front end, quiver is the best word I can think of. The whole front suspension and cab would shake like Jello… I thought it was my front shocks for sure.
The other day I was under there changing my oil and was looking at the original rubber bushings on the sway bar. They looked hard and deformed, actually squeezed out of the U bracket that holds them in. I picked up a $8 set of new bushings Beck-Arnley, just stock rubber. They are not easy to put in, can’t believe a 12mm thread can be that tight, broke one socket, then switched over to my air impact.

OMG what a difference! The test drive was one of those rare moments when you say “this is nice”. It felt like I had rebuilt the entire front end and put new tires on as well ! In my 52 years of wrenching on cars and trucks this would be one of the more noticeable part changes I have ever done for $8. That sway bar is a critical component in the front suspension of these trucks and has to be held tight. I thought about urethane but I’m an old man, I like a smooth and quiet ride.
I have my skid plate off right now refinishing it. I wonder if I should do the same. Did you disconnect the sway bar links in the lower control arms as well?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, you only have to undo the (4) 17mm bolts holding the bushing retainers. The top (2) bolts are in slots, just back them out about (5) turns. Note: those bolts are tight, I broke one socket. You will need a breaker bar and a 2' pipe extension or an impact driver. The top bolt on the left side by the radiator hose can be a pain.

·
Super Moderator
3,086 Posts
There was a Nissan service bulletin issued on this problem. Nissan updated the sway bar mount bushings so that the "split" in the bushing is no longer directly between the sway bar and the cross-member, where the bar would squeeze through and hit the frame. Now the split is diagonal from the corner, which corrects the issue. View attachment 307179
Great info as usual! Thanks!

Any chance you remember what model years the bulletin applied to?

·
Registered
566 Posts

Hi Brian, I just looked at my 12 and it has the diagonal bushing from the factory. Hopefully yours does as well.

·
Super Moderator
3,086 Posts
Hi Brian, I just looked at my 12 and it has the diagonal bushing from the factory. Hopefully yours does as well.
Thx cuda!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The more I think about those bushings they should be treated as a normal wear item. That rubber age hardens and work hardens over time. With the constant movement of the sway bar it just wears out the clamp up force it originally had when new.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts

I can't remember if it was 2005-2008 or 2005-2010?

·
Registered
579 Posts

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Are those the right size? BECKARNLEY 101-7997
If you look under the Beck~Arnley part number on the box, you'll see the Nissan part number, as well as molded into the bushings, themselves. My guess is they probably just take genuine Nissan bushings and throw them in a Beck~Arnley box, which isn't unusual for them to do.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When you go to install them you might think they are too small for the sway bar. The ID of the bushing is 32mm and the OD of the sway bar is 34mm. There is a lot of compression of the bushing required to get the U clamp down tight, this is probably by design. That is why there is a slot on the top of the U bracket, it helps you hold it in place to compress and tighten the lower bolt.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts