Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 07 LE CC 4x4 and really like my truck, but I have had to deal with the timing chain issue and do the radiator bypass to prevent the contamination. I think these are the two big issues with this vehicle. So my wife and I have been shooping for her a good used SUV 06 to 09 with less than 50k. We are hung up between the Pilot and the Pathfinder. I guess my question is would you pick the Pathfinder knowing you will probablyhave to deal with this at some point. Or go with with the Pilot which is a little more in price with a little more room. Also my 2nd Cousin is the service Manager at the local Honda Dealer.

· Registered
1,087 Posts
I'm looking at a new pathfinder for my wife, but I read online that premium unleaded is recommended. that might be a deal breaker for me if I have to pay for the most expensive fuel. can anyone who owns a pathfinder confirm or deny this?

· Registered
26 Posts
I have the a 06 Pathfinder and find very comfortable, yes it does say premium fuel recommended, But since Ive owned it, ive used nothing but 87 octane 90% of the time and have no issues, I did how ever did the bypass before it was an issue.

· Registered
3,328 Posts

· Registered
5,346 Posts
I'm looking at a new pathfinder for my wife, but I read online that premium unleaded is recommended. that might be a deal breaker for me if I have to pay for the most expensive fuel. can anyone who owns a pathfinder confirm or deny this?
It may state that, but it is not required. My wife has an 07 Acura MDX that says premium only. We have been running regular with no problems whatsoever for more than 2 years. I certainly would not make that the dealbreaker reason.

I had 95 Pathfinder and I would buy a new one no problem. They are sweet. There is a certianly good things about having a closed backend sometimes compared to a pickup. Ive considered it too, for my wife if we decided to trade in the MDX, however Im not sure if I'd want essentially 2 of the same vehicle at the same time (pathfinder and frontier).

· Registered
8,530 Posts
The pathy would make maintance and other items easier but since your cousin is at the Honda dealer, it may be better to go that route.

The real question is "what does your wife like better?" that is the deciding factor in most cases.

· Registered
26 Posts
Im guessing if you have a 4x4 you would want the other vehicles to have it too, and I can tell you the pilot is not nor can you get one in 4x4, I know cause my mom is really disappointed due to that fact, yes it does have auto 4 but will only engage in 1st-2nd gear at low rpms.

· Registered
659 Posts
i was looking at the pathy before my truck. so i would personally go with the pathy but only the V8 one. My friends getting a new car and i saw a used one on the lot. But then again as frontyfan states u would possibly have the same issues.

· Registered
1,278 Posts
hands down a pilot. my wife and i bought our trucks new at the same time. she has a 2007 pilot (last generation) top of the line 4wd w/leather. 50k miles to this day and only ONE trip to the dealer for a cracked leather seat bolster that was changed under warranty. no squeaks, rattles, power window problems.... etc. my frontier on the other hand has had a quite a handful of problems... I say it all the time, if honda had a real truck i would have bought one.

· Registered
579 Posts
I would get a 4runner

· Registered
1,260 Posts
Nissan has pissed me off so much with this truck that I am pretty sure that it is going to be Ford for me from here on out. Yes, the last 3 Nissans I have owned have been nothing other than great but Nissan is going down hill and doesn't help me out on my problems. Great truck up till 144,000 and now I have the cross contamination, fuel sending unit again for the forth time, transmission slipping, etc.

At this point I don't trust Honda ether. My sister called me to tell me she has a big a$$ crack running through her block on her 2006 Civic. The head did not crack, the freaking cast iron block did. That's crappy to me.

· Registered
200 Posts
honda or nissan?

I have a 07 nismo, bought used in october of 07 with 34k miles that was included a certified use warrenty, the wife has an 04 pilot,she bought used 2 years old with 87k miles on it. She has had no problems and is now at 190k miles. I have 89k miles and have had a list of problems including fsu, leaking rear diff, anti-lock brake sensor, some emission valve, cost to me to repair weeks of down time due to no parts available and 1000's of dollars because of BS certified used warrenty. plus the constant worry of the timing chain issue as well as the transmission raditor problem. MY CHOICE HANDS DOWN PILOT!!! This was my second nissan first was an awd maurano that had constant fear of tranny failure, I will not own another nissan. My next truck will be a ford, my wifes next vehicle will be a honda. I am disappointed in nissan and agree with the post above about nissan going down hill...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.