Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

If anyone is interested, I am considering hosting a workshop day in Canberra.

My D40 is approaching 30,000km and I will be doing the 40km service items early. That means diffs, transfer case and gearbox fluids as well as normal service items such as engine oil and filter etc.

If anyone is interested in attending to learn how to do some of their own maintenance work, let me know. If I end up going ahead with this session it will likely be sometime in mid February.

I am a qualified mechanic and do all the servicing on my D40.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Sounds like a damm good idea

Hey Ants , you have some knowledge of rego etc so how do you recon they will react to PRG Upper Control Arms
I have tried to call them and ask them and its like talking to the back end of a Bus. They have no idea.

My understanding is they shouldnt need an engineers report done as its a direct bolt in and doesnt require any mods to be done to the truck to fit them.
I have a set on order with Greg from PRG but am hesitant to bring them over if Rego is going to play stupid and then stuff up my insurance as well.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi Anthony,

I cant attend your day, but can I get some help?

When you do the 40k service what parts do you replace, like for diffs and transfer case do you change the gasket on the bolts.

The parts listed by Niisan

Gasket-eye bolt - 1 piece(s) Sump plug?
Brake & clutch - 1 piece(s) ??
Filter assy-oil - 1 piece(s) Oil Filter
Cartridge assy- - 1 piece(s) ??
Fuel filter - 1 piece(s) Fuel filter
Element assy-ai - 1 piece(s) Air Filter?
Filter kit-air - 2 piece(s) Pollen filter?

Hope you can help me out

Thanks
John

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like a damm good idea

Hey Ants , you have some knowledge of rego etc so how do you recon they will react to PRG Upper Control Arms
I have tried to call them and ask them and its like talking to the back end of a Bus. They have no idea.

My understanding is they shouldnt need an engineers report done as its a direct bolt in and doesnt require any mods to be done to the truck to fit them.
I have a set on order with Greg from PRG but am hesitant to bring them over if Rego is going to play stupid and then stuff up my insurance as well.
Strictly speaking, the replacement arms are not factory (or factory endorsed) so you would need to have them engineer approved. That is the bottom line.

If they are not engineer approved, noted by rego and your insurance company, and they fail, then your vehicle is technically unroadworthy. Ergo no insurance of any kind (third party, comprehensive etc).

That is the bottom line. The problem is, we've seen evidence of this here in Australia with another Navara over in WA where the PRG arm failed. I understand there may be "more to it" than what appears on the surface, but the result for that owner was as described - no insurance, no coverage for the damage etc.

However they are probably a lot like exptended shackles in the real world. Lots of people use them without getting caught and without noticing any problems.

I guess my attitude is pretty hard line - I think people who knowingly use non-complied or illegal mods deserve to get caught and prosecuted to the full extent of the law. Like speeding, drink driving, running red lights etc.

All that being said, I understand your unique requirements due to your track work, and to be perfectly honest I would suggest your chances of getting caught and prosecuted would be minimal.

Hope that info helps mate.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Anthony,

I cant attend your day, but can I get some help?

When you do the 40k service what parts do you replace, like for diffs and transfer case do you change the gasket on the bolts.

The parts listed by Niisan

Gasket-eye bolt - 1 piece(s) Sump plug?
Brake & clutch - 1 piece(s) ??
Filter assy-oil - 1 piece(s) Oil Filter
Cartridge assy- - 1 piece(s) ??
Fuel filter - 1 piece(s) Fuel filter
Element assy-ai - 1 piece(s) Air Filter?
Filter kit-air - 2 piece(s) Pollen filter?

Hope you can help me out

Thanks
John

Hi John,

I usually don't replace gaskets/crush washers on diff fill bolts/gearbox fill points unless they need to be replaced. That is judged using experience and the good old mark 1 eyeball. I usually have plenty of these kicking around in various sizes so if they need to be replaced, I do so. That doesn't help you though....sorry. I would suggest however that the gaskets/crush washers probably don't need replacing.

With regard to the other parts you listed:

Brake & clutch - 1 piece(s) ?? No idea at all
Filter assy-oil - 1 piece(s) Oil Filter Oil Filter element
Cartridge assy- - 1 piece(s) ?? could be one of the fuel filters (on vehicles equipped with 2 - some diesel navs have 2 fuel filters)
Fuel filter - 1 piece(s) Fuel filter "main" fuel filter assy
Element assy-ai - 1 piece(s) Air Filter? probably
Filter kit-air - 2 piece(s) Pollen filter? probably

Not much use I know - but since I haven't done the service yet, and the only filter I will be replacing at the 40K is the oil filter (I replaced the others recently) I can't really help you with what filters are what.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Great idea Anthony, but I'm worried my diff/transfer/gearbox filler plugs might fall out on the way up, its a long drive.....
Seriously though - I think it would be a good idea for those who can get along to it. If you use your Nav for any sort of offroading, its best to know some things about it.
My most recent experience just goes to show you cant be to complacent and you can't always trust/rely on others to do things properly. The ability to be able to double-check over things has saved destroying my transfer case twice now (once due to seal failure and the other due to poor nissan workmanship)

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I hear ya Anthony
I wanna do it all legally and not put my insurance at risk.
At the end of the day I think honestly that issue in WA might be a one off deal. I have spoken to Greg on that issue actually when I was in LA not realising it was that WA truck
The design was changed and as far as I know Greg did try to rectify the guys truck , well as much as you can from around the globe.
Regardless of that the fact remains we still need some form of camber adjustment for those whom arent lucky to get it factory fitted.

Anyway the workshop day will be good just from the meet n greet deal to meet some of the other members .
I want to get some measurements to see if there is in fact any difference between a 4x2 and a 4x4 from Spain.
The more we can get there the better.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Sounds like a good plan to me Antz.....just have to fit in with my work as I'm currently working between Canberra and Nowra so would need to organise a sickie or some such thing:)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have cracked 28,000km so will likely get onto this in the next....say....month to 6 weeks? I need to have it done before hunting season begins again as I won't have any spare weekends after that.

For those who are interested, is there any preference as to whether it's a Saturday or Sunday?

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
well my 50k is due anytime now so apart from the next 2 weekends Im up for it .
Would you be happy to sign off on my service Antz?
I would just buy the oil n filter and just have to drop it and refill .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts