Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1998 Frontier 4x4 Ka24de king cab 5 speed, I wish they would release a new 2010 4cyl 4x4 frontier 6 speed. That would be an awesome truck in my opinion, I love the gas mileage I get (22 city, 28 highway). I have never had power issues off roading with my 1998 4L is tons of torque.

I also have a 3in lift and 31s. Its not a fast vehicle by anymeans, but gets the job done very well, I think I will have it for a long time, 68k miles right now.

Attachments

·
Registered
417 Posts
Sweet pics. I agree, if they made a 4 cyl 4x4, I would be all over it as well.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I agree! And it would be a real sale argument. Many people wanna get a 4x4 but not everyone need power, towing capacity, and can deal with higher initial and maintenance cost (fuel, oil, tire, brakes) of V6 engine. And toyota offers a 4cyl 4x4 tacoma now...

·
Registered
578 Posts
i agree....if i had to get a new truck it would be a tacoma that is 4x4 with a 4cyl

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
the current frontier would need to shed a few pounds to make a 4x4 4cyl an attractive option.

·
Registered
578 Posts
or just make a better 4 cyl

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
or just make a better 4 cyl
there's a problem of diminishing returns with a 4cyl gas engine. it could be upped from 2.5L to slightly more displacement or turboed or supercharged; or mate it with a tranny that has the ratios to favor slower 4x4 work instead of highway - but by the time all that's done might as well add two cylinders and call it a day - or put the existing 4cyl in a lighter, smaller platform - which if I'm not mistaken Nissan is headed that direction with the future of the Frontier.

·
Registered
578 Posts
that would be a good thing.... im sure they could still squeeze some more hp outta a 4cyl and then put a 6speed manual that is very low in the first few gears to cope with the lack of power in towing and off road situation and then have efficient gears in say 5th of 6th for the highway

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
yea i was jealous at not having the option of a six speed manual. i imagine nissan was managing the price point of the XEs and decided a six speed was too much. But who am I to talk I went with the auto anyways.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think that a 2.5l qr that didnt blow up would be good enough, 6 speed with some low gears and light weight body, very rigid suspension and frame, factory winch option like the new FJ cruisers lol

·
Registered
578 Posts
I think that a 2.5l qr that didnt blow up would be good enough, 6 speed with some low gears and light weight body, very rigid suspension and frame, factory winch option like the new FJ cruisers lol
WURD

·
Registered
427 Posts
I would buy one as well. I'm fine with the power I have in my 4cyl (wouldn't mind more though) and would only use the 4wd for winter weather. Would be perfect IMO.

·
Registered
509 Posts
yeah D22 and D40 4cyl diesels are very common and still being made.
now if only they shoved the 6 speed into the 1st gen ;)

·
Registered
417 Posts
Hopefully Nissan does some serious research to what 4cly drivers/future buyers want. Power is nice, but I dont need it. 4x4, however is very needed for my location.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I have a 1998 Frontier 4x4 Ka24de king cab 5 speed, I wish they would release a new 2010 4cyl 4x4 frontier 6 speed. That would be an awesome truck in my opinion, I love the gas mileage I get (22 city, 28 highway). I have never had power issues off roading with my 1998 4L is tons of torque.

I also have a 3in lift and 31s. Its not a fast vehicle by anymeans, but gets the job done very well, I think I will have it for a long time, 68k miles right now.
Yeah me too, Toyota makes one but they want you to pay up the swazzola to get one. By that time you can get a high end Frontier with ALL the bells & whistles. (the dirty rotten :censor:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts