Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Nissan Frontier SV Crew Cab LWB 4x4
Joined
·
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Glutton for punishment that I am I decided that I didn't want to modify my truck's wiring harness in order to wire-in the canopy middle brake light. That meant getting wiring harness parts to make inline adapters that go between wiring harness connectors. Unfortunately Nissan doesn't offer any crash-repair wiring harness parts, one has to buy whole harnesses which are expensive, and they don't publish part-numbers either, so one can't even use Nissan's data to order third-party. It eventually meant going junkyarding, and finally this week I had time to do it.

This is the goal:



As you can see, in addition to the two wires for Brake Signal and Ground I have taps for the other six. This is so if I ever put an aftermarket bumper on the truck I can make use of these other signals for lighting in that bumper.

First step was tracking-down parts. Nissan doesn't sell crash-repair wiring harness pieces so I ended up getting used ones. In the 2015 FSM the parts are labeled as Connector C15 and C200. Unfortunately junkyards aren't so good at understanding this, so I had to basically have them put the truck up on the hoist to cut pieces free for me.

C15 connector:



C200 Connector:



I started with about 6" pigtails from each:



Trimmed one end to length, then took the other end and stripped insulation from the center, tinned the end of the one side and the middle of this side, then slipped on some heatshrink tubing and soldered:



Folded-over the six ends that I am not going to use for now, then put heatshrink tubing on them, shrunk-down all the heatshrink tubing with my heat gun, then started wrapping electrical tape over the heatshrink tubing:



Finally took a bit of the corrugated wire harness innerduct and put all inside except for my two stubs for the tail lights:




to be continued...
 

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 Nissan Frontier SV Crew Cab LWB 4x4
Joined
·
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I wanted to be able to easily and cleanly unhook the wiring from the canopy when it's not in use. I finally settled on using "SAE" connectors, which are two-pin hermaphroditic connectors that look like the ground and one signal pin from a four-pin trailer harness. I went with them in-part because I figured they work well out in the elements already, and because the harness connector was available with a bulkhead-mount where it didn't take up a whole lot of depth behind the panel it's mounted to.

The ones I ended up with are actually intended for wiring-up kayaks, YakPower Panel Mount with SAE connector. Smallest bulkhead-mount I could find:



Plus it comes with the second connector, so when I trim this to length in the quarter panel I can use the other end of the connector for the canopy-side. I also decided put an inline fuse in so that if there's a problem with the canopy light it might not take-out my other brake lights.

I chose to mount the connector where it's forward of the tail light, basically on the backside of the tail light in the bed under the rail. The tail light's well is very large, much larger than the housing takes up, so there was plenty of room for a connector here. I made a template, drilled it out, filed it to shape, drilled holes for the screws, and bolted the harness in.





I wanted the bulkhead connector to be inconspicuous and to have a cover when the canopy is off the truck.





again, to be continued...
 

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 Nissan Frontier SV Crew Cab LWB 4x4
Joined
·
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With the panel-mount in place I figured out where I wanted the inline fuse, then cut the positive (red), applied heatshrink tubing to the wiring, then soldered it in, shrunk the tubing, and taped it:



Pulled the whole length of harness down inside the bed wall and to the bottom, brought my previous adapter down, cut wires, applied heatshrink tubing, soldered, yadda, yadda, yadda:



Finally took the rest of the wiring with the SAE connector and connected it to the canopy brake light wiring. Looks good:



Tested all of my lights, everything seems to work.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
277 Posts
With the panel-mount in place I figured out where I wanted the inline fuse, then cut the positive (red), applied heatshrink tubing to the wiring, then soldered it in, shrunk the tubing, and taped it:



Pulled the whole length of harness down inside the bed wall and to the bottom, brought my previous adapter down, cut wires, applied heatshrink tubing, soldered, yadda, yadda, yadda:



Finally took the rest of the wiring with the SAE connector and connected it to the canopy brake light wiring. Looks good:



Tested all of my lights, everything seems to work.
Dayam! Impressive! I was doing a search on where to connect my topper and never expected this! WOW!
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top