Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For anyone who might know. I'm wiring in an LED utility light that is rear-facing, 120W (10-15A Fused lead will be added). I already wired up the relay to work as I want it to. The LED will switch on when I flip a switch or when I'm in reverse.

I need a +12V continuous lead that can handle a 15A draw and a +12V Reverse signal lead that only serves to activate the relay. Are there any good leads inside the cab? I don't have a Haynes manual to check the wiring schematic, but I'd prefer not having to go through the firewall, all the way back to the battery.

'15 Crew Cab, BTW. Thanks.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd prefer not having to penetrate the firewall, if possible.

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
Direct from the battery through the firewall is the safest way. I am not aware of any circuit in the cab that can handle an additional 15a. There is a nice boot by the brake booster that you can poke a 12+ lead through with no ill effects.

·
Premium Member
6,402 Posts
Look under the brake booster, there is a large harness that goes through the firewall. The hole in the firewall is huge and so there is a large amount of rubber on the grommet to cover the hole. I punched a small hole with a pick in the middle of the flat area on the grommet and shoved the wire through the hole. No hole was drilled in the firewall and it is still water tight.

I would have issue pulling 15 amps of an existing circuit personally.

·
Registered
549 Posts
There is no reverse wire inside the cab. You must get it from the relay under the hood.

You can get power from plenty of places in the cab. My 07 has 1 hot at all times and 2 switched accessory outlets. The fuses are 15 amp.

If you decide to tap off the battery, make sure your new circuit is not fed off a fusible link. The positive terminal has a fuses built in that are not individually replaced. Make sure your new circuit has it's own fuse as close to the battery as possible.

Reactions: ef9

·
Rogue Admin
2007 LE 4x4 Crew Cab Long Box
13,815 Posts
Direct from the battery through the firewall is the safest way. I am not aware of any circuit in the cab that can handle an additional 15a. There is a nice boot by the brake booster that you can poke a 12+ lead through with no ill effects.
Then once you realize how easy that was, you start running all kinds of wires. ::grin::

To make it easy, I use an old coat hanger and tape the wire into the end - then feed that through the grommet. Takes so little time you can crack that beer before you start on this one.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Guess I'll be going through the firewall. I'm familiar with the process, I just hate having more wires hanging off the battery.

I'm going to have to run the wires from the bed, into the cab, to a switch, then back out of the cab, into the engine bay. I'm glad I made the harness super long.

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
I have 3 large gauge wires (stereo, power inverter&fuse block, plow) connected to a modified factory terminal. Most wouldn't know it's ever been touched.

The wire that goes to the power inverter runs along the firewall loom and through a grommet near the booter. It's connected to the inverter and splits off to a fuse block for various circuits.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
362 Posts

Use the grommet near the ECU as this is the shortest run.

I would recommend running 4AWG power and 9-conductor Speedwire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
I hope this isn't considered too much of a thread jack, but as the OP is wanting to install switches & an easy way to connect his accessories, I thought this would be pertinent. As has been mentioned before, if youd like to add an auxiliary power system you should see about adding a Bussmann RTMR setup. I added one to my truck awhile back & now installing accessories & running power to them is a breeze. No more running wires to the battery, or splicing in fuses, or running extra wiring for the relays. And, best of all, its all weatherproof!::grin:: Basically, you install this setup then whenever you want to add something to your truck, you make your own harness or run the harness that came with your accessory then connect it to the Bussmann unit & you're all set.::smile:: I got all my info on how to do it from this site (bodenzord.com). Its VERY detailed in how to build it from scratch. It literally tells you EVERYTHING on how to build it & why to build it a certain way, what tools to use, where to get all the parts, & all sorts of other stuff. Although its geared for the Taco crowd, its easy enough to adapt it to our trucks. Anyways, heres a few pics of my setup...

This is the unit with a bracket I made so I could install it next to the brake booster

The Bussmann RTMR is in the back corner by the brake booster & the pigtails from it are running under the ABS system towards the air filter

Heres another shot of it with the top off to show how to get to the relays & fuses if need be.

And heres the lower center-stack piece I got to install 5 of my switches & also my trans temp gauge.

I apologize in advance if anyone thinks I jacked the OPs thread. That was NOT my intention at all. I merely wanted to offer a possible way for the OP, & anyone else for that matter, to install his/her accessories in a clean manner & also in such a way to have room for future expansion.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I hope this isn't considered too much of a thread jack, but as the OP is wanting to install switches & an easy way to connect his accessories, I thought this would be pertinent. As has been mentioned before, if youd like to add an auxiliary power system you should see about adding a Bussmann RTMR setup. I added one to my truck awhile back & now installing accessories & running power to them is a breeze. No more running wires to the battery, or splicing in fuses, or running extra wiring for the relays. And, best of all, its all weatherproof!::grin:: Basically, you install this setup then whenever you want to add something to your truck, you make your own harness or run the harness that came with your accessory then connect it to the Bussmann unit & you're all set.::smile:: I got all my info on how to do it from this site (bodenzord.com). Its VERY detailed in how to build it from scratch. It literally tells you EVERYTHING on how to build it & why to build it a certain way, what tools to use, where to get all the parts, & all sorts of other stuff. Although its geared for the Taco crowd, its easy enough to adapt it to our trucks. Anyways, heres a few pics of my setup...

This is the unit with a bracket I made so I could install it next to the brake booster

The Bussmann RTMR is in the back corner by the brake booster & the pigtails from it are running under the ABS system towards the air filter

Heres another shot of it with the top off to show how to get to the relays & fuses if need be.

And heres the lower center-stack piece I got to install 5 of my switches & also my trans temp gauge.

I apologize in advance if anyone thinks I jacked the OPs thread. That was NOT my intention at all. I merely wanted to offer a possible way for the OP, & anyone else for that matter, to install his/her accessories in a clean manner & also in such a way to have room for future expansion.

That's an ultra sweet setup!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Thank you! It was a LOT of work the way I did it, but it has definitely paid off, especially after installing a couple sets of lights & not having to mess with running wires to the battery. Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
I hope this isn't considered too much of a thread jack, but as the OP is wanting to install switches & an easy way to connect his accessories, I thought this would be pertinent. As has been mentioned before, if youd like to add an auxiliary power system you should see about adding a Bussmann RTMR setup. I added one to my truck awhile back & now installing accessories & running power to them is a breeze. No more running wires to the battery, or splicing in fuses, or running extra wiring for the relays. And, best of all, its all weatherproof!::grin:: Basically, you install this setup then whenever you want to add something to your truck, you make your own harness or run the harness that came with your accessory then connect it to the Bussmann unit & you're all set.::smile:: I got all my info on how to do it from this site (bodenzord.com). Its VERY detailed on how to build it from scratch. It literally tells you EVERYTHING from how to build it & why to build it a certain way, what tools to use, where to get all the parts, & all sorts of other stuff. Although its geared for the Tacoma crowd, its easy enough to adapt it to our trucks. Anyways, heres a few pics of my setup...

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Dang it! Sorry everyone for the double post. Im still trying to figure out how everything works. I tried to edit my original post & after I was finished it ended up posting it twice. Again, I apologize for the double post.

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Dang it! Sorry everyone for the double post. Im still trying to figure out how everything works. I tried to edit my original post & after I was finished it ended up posting it twice. Again, I apologize for the double post.

Can run wires like a ninja, can't post on a forum....

Just busting your chops, that is a sweet setup.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
LMAO! Yeah, i guess ya got me there! As long as i can actually hold it in my hands & im physically able to manipulate it to the way i want, im not too bad. Otherwise, im sorta lost. LOL! Anyways, thanks for the compliment! Im planning on doing a write-up on it but of course i gotta find the time to do it since its a pretty in-depth undertaking. Sorry to the OP for jacking your thread. Now lets get back to helping this fellow frontier owner out with his situation.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts