Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 Frontier 4x4 Club cab 4.0 V-6 with Tow Package
Weird question:
Just purchased a camper with an Electric Jack.
The jack has its own independent plug (7) and will not work in my 7-way plug on my Frontier.
Now because of the way it was wired on the vehicle of the person I purchased the camper from it works fine on his vehicle. We plugged it in and used it to hook-up to my truck so I could tow the camper home.
I checked the Jack plug today and the yellow/green is on 3 and the black is on 2.
So....before I move wires and blow fusses etc... Do you think if I move the yellow/green to 4 and the Black to 1 It will operate the electric jack?
OR what would be the correct terminals to move the wires to, to get the jack to work.
I know the jack works, I just don't believe that Jack plug is wired the right way to work in the 7-way on my Frontier.
Opinions welcome,
Thanks,
Brad

·
Premium Member
2020 PRO-4X, Icom IC-229H ham radio, 4K front and rear dashcam, Leer canopy
432 Posts
Check to make sure your truck is wired to the "standard" 7 pin arrangement. If it is then I'd say re-wire the camper plug to match you truck.

·
Registered
'21 SV 4x4
138 Posts
Yes, I'd double check the wiring on your truck and then rewire the trailer jack to match the standard arrangement.
Also, stupid question, but did you try it with the truck key "ON"?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I'd double check the wiring on your truck and then rewire the trailer jack to match the standard arrangement.
Also, stupid question, but did you try it with the truck key "ON"?
There are no stupid questions LOL! Yes, truck was running when we first tried it on initial hook up, and I tried it again after I towed the camper home.

I'll probably change the wires in the plug to Aux/Battery and move the ground wire to ground that matches the standard 7way plug or the truck, I'm assuming that will give me 12vdc to run the electric jack, based on the fact that I have the factory tow package AND all the lights, signals and brake lights work from the "Trailer Plug" the Aux/battery terminal is the only one left that would accommodate 12vdc power - Agree ? Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2012 CC "S" 4x4
942 Posts

·
Registered
'21 SV 4x4
138 Posts
That should provide 30 amps of 12v power. If you haven't already, get a meter and check that your truck is providing 12V on the aux pin and check the ground. If that looks good, I'd connect the jack directly to a battery to make sure it still runs.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Well that didn't work...now what?
Make sure the house power and trailer brakes pins aren't swapped, a big known problem and one that has generated multiple threads passing blame between Nissan and the aftermarket harness manufacturers. Do a quick forum search and you'll find the animus.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Make sure the house power and trailer brakes pins aren't swapped, a big known problem and one that has generated multiple threads passing blame between Nissan and the aftermarket harness manufacturers. Do a quick forum search and you'll find the animus.
Ryan, I believe I found that thread, not totally sure.
Anyway to know if I have that aftermarket Tekonsha or the Nissan OEM wiring other than testing every terminal? Is there a serial # scheme that says what yr/model trucks have these.
I know I should apply a test light and check the terminals.
When you reference "House power" I assume you mean "Auxiliary" ?
I need to plug the camper back in and make sure all functions work before I switch wires.
I haven't got a brake controller so I want to make sure it will work. Looking at the Drawtite 5505? with a Nissan harness
for Plug and Play. I hope I have all the relays already in the kick panel, haven't looked.

BTW Thanks a million for your knowledge!!

·
Premium Member
2012 CC "S" 4x4
942 Posts
Reactions: Iffin'itaintbroke

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
the way it should be, with its own in line fuse. that's how my last 2 trailers came from the factory.
Unless the trailer has its own solar panels or generator, the battery will eventually go dead and the jack will be useless anyway. The house power / aux situation must be corrected eventually, regardless, if you plan on using the extra battery.

Reactions: Grampy Matt

·
Premium Member
2012 CC "S" 4x4
942 Posts
Unless the trailer has its own solar panels or generator, the battery will eventually go dead and the jack will be useless anyway. The house power / aux situation must be corrected eventually, regardless, if you plan on using the extra battery.
yes, if trailer battery goes dead then yes plug into truck wich will power jack, and should charge trailer battery while towing. my jacks came with a tool to manually crank jack if no power. Font Circle Diagram Parallel Data storage device

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yes, if trailer battery goes dead then yes plug into truck wich will power jack, and should charge trailer battery while towing. my jacks came with a tool to manually crank jack if no power. View attachment 347535
Thank you for the diagram. I will look at it again this weekend changes the wires on the trailer plug again to match the Blue and White from the diagram and see what happens.

Many Thanks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts