Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 Frontier SV Crew Cab. I have a Leer 100R cover on the rear.
I am wanting to mount an inverter (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004MDXS0U/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) in the bed, so I can charge my 20v saw batteries.

Would I be able to tap into the 7 way wiring in order to wire this in? Is the 7 way hot wire always hot, even when the ignition is off? I would only want to charge my saw batteries when the truck is running. I'm also worried if the 7 way hot wire draws enough amps to power the inverter.

·
Registered
2004 Nissan Frontier XE KC KA24DE
3,549 Posts
Are you sure that particular inverter can handle the load of the 20v charger?

I don't think it would be enough to handle my DeWalt 20v quick charger that has a built in cooling fan.

If you're a DeWalt 20v user I think it would be wise to invest in a extra Flexvolt 60v 6.0 AH or 9.0 AH battery.

·
Registered
11 Posts
This -

If and when I get a inverter to install...it's going to be direct to the battery.
Otherwise something will fry and the smoke that makes the vehicle run will escape. Once the smoke escapes, finding the leak is a pain in the arse, and getting new smoke installed can be expensive.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
This will draw 22 to 25a at full power and the trailer circuit's rated for 20a, on a fuse. See what comes next? I wouldn't recommend this, you will be blowing the house power fuse way too often, unless you're plugging in something small. I'd measure what the draw is on the intended device and proceed from there. Remember at 120v, 300w is 424 va, is only 3.53a.
The 7-way is only hot with the ignition ON.
I'd recommend a dedicated, fused line back to the battery, on a minimum #8ga circuit ( 40a fuse ), #6 recommended for minimum voltage drop ( 50a or 60a fuse ). Also Nissan doesn't ground the truck bed to the frame so if planning to run a hard circuit to the truck bed and use the bed as the ground return, add a bonding wire from the frame to the bed, which should also be a #6ga. Ask me how I know.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
so I can charge my 20v saw batteries.
Which model charger do you have? What is its electrical draw? If you flip it over it should have an input rating (like 120V at 3.0 amps).

For example, a Dewalt "8 amp" fast charger draws 120v at 3.0a, which is 360 watts. The Dewalt DCB101 draws 120v at 1.5 amps, which is 180 watts.

When designing wiring, I work backwards from the output. In other words, figure out what the maximum draw you need at the outlet or connector in the bed, then find suitable wiring and electrical components.

For example, I installed a 12v outlet in the bed. I knew I'd only use the outlet to charge a Jackery 240 when the engine is running. The Jackery's internal charger draws 65w max.

After referring to a wire ampacity chart, I used 18 gauge wire, which can safely carry 10 amps at 12 volts DC (180 watts) for up to 50' of wire. Following the 80% rule, I can safely draw 144 watts, which is plenty.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Which model charger do you have? What is its electrical draw? If you flip it over it should have an input rating (like 120V at 3.0 amps).

For example, a Dewalt "8 amp" fast charger draws 120v at 3.0a, which is 360 watts. The Dewalt DCB101 draws 120v at 1.5 amps, which is 180 watts.

When designing wiring, I work backwards from the output. In other words, figure out what the maximum draw you need at the outlet or connector in the bed, then find suitable wiring and electrical components.
This is correct, you must do it this way, unless you are just planning for a general power outlet with a maximum power capacity, then as you add accessories, you find out if the branch circuit is heavy enough to support them. I have a 20a power outlet in my bed, up under the UtiliTrak on the left side near the taillamp. It wasn't installed for any specific purpose, just to have power in the bed, so anything that draws more than 18a is going to be off-limits. I've used it to power my portable air compressor to fill tires and inflate the RideRite air bags, works great, this is exactly what it was installed for. And if I'm ever tailgating w/ my kids ( who aren't really kids anymore at 20 and 18 yrs old ) they can power up their phones right off the USB ports directly.

Reactions: TwoWheelsDown
1 - 8 of 8 Posts