Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't want to post anything up as far as write up or services until the truck was done and on the road. I'm going to talk to my step dad tomorrow as far as what he wants for the relocation of the pins and plugs for the vk swap.

i spent around 1200 in diag and r&d on this project alone.
the wiring is not fun and is no small task by any means.
trans plug needs re pinned and a v6 connector, to ipdm needs re pinned, 4x4 needs re pinned and connector, starter wire needs re pinned. and i think there is one more plug but im not 100% sure.

my pins i have on my truck are spacers if you will. i can honestly go 100% back to stock with the removal of all my spacer pins. but to do that i had to hit up a lot of junk yards and find wrecked titans and frontiers for this.

let me know what you guys would pay for the rewire of the harness.
you would need to ship out your vk harness and some plugs off your vq harness. im going to ask him and give him your feed back on what you want you would pay. other wise the best advice i can give is get the two service manuals and have at it. i will have a motor swap write up, but not a wiring write up because A. i didnt do it. and B its not easy.

let me know what you guys think.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hmm well if they supplied the parts (as long there the right parts lol). I would say $400-500 for a 4x4 harness and $300-400 for 4x2. Assuming that he noted all the connector pin changes, and had everything on hand, it could be done in a weekend.

This is also assuming that you are not having to do any soldering( just swapping pins into new connectors...

·
Premium Member
12,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i will get all the work and everything that must be done tomorrow sometime.
ill have listed how many soldering connections must be made, how many pins must be changed, what plugs you will need. will all be listed tomorrow to give a more accurate description of what you guys would have to do on your own or how much you guys would want to pay to have it done.
this is a key reason of why my truck has been down for so long. a lot of long weekend nights reviewing plugs and making sure all connections were right by sending power through them and checking on the other end.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Get the wiring harness from a V8 pathfinder and get a manuel for the pathy. The transmission is a little different because it has a +/- selector insted of a first gear selection. I wish I waited a month becasue those are sweet rides.

·
Premium Member
12,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah if someone wants to pay for the r&d on that then by all means.
but the v8 pathy is still very new. finding on will not be easy, and paying for one wont be fun. will be a few more years before you can get those parts as easy as you can get the titan parts.

but it wouldnt hurt at all to know the trans difference with them if any. even if the selectors are different doesnt mean the trans are.

·
Registered
135 Posts
are the actuals pins them selves different? on alot of harnesses I have worked on the connectors are diff. but the actual pin is the same, they are some times a real pita to pull out even with a good pin tool like the matco one... cause if that were the case then it takes a whole lotta time out of the job...

·
Premium Member
12,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
plugs are different so end would be cut off of one and soldered on another. pulling pins would be enormously time consuming when we switched plugs.
pulling them is an option but i think it would take more time than wrapping tape with their labels then going to town with some solder.

·
Registered
253 Posts
hello andy

First congrats on your swap!

I do control retrofits to machine tools,milling machine and lathes.

I understand you wanting to recoup some of your cost of R&D, my first retrofit was 9 weeks at a customer's site 5 weeks of my time and expenses where out of my pocket.

I was able to recoup my R&d cost over many other retrofits and 2 years.

First I have to warn you about liability in these times of sue happy people and product liability.

I UNDERSTAND YOU WANT TO HELP OTHERS TO DO WHAT YOU HAVE DONE!

But I would come up with some kind of release form and make customers sign it and it be notarizied, relieving you of liability for any stupidity done after they receive your harness.

On the other hand if you send them a harness and it damages components or causes failures of any kind and it can be traced back to the harness mods you provided you are still liable.

I would think twice about doing this.

I think the way I would do this is to due the write up with pics maybe supply the parts to complete it and charge per write up with lots of disclaimers attached that people who purchase your write assume responsibility for all mods.

I carry $4 Million Liability insurance for my business.

Just my .02

·
Registered
8,742 Posts
I was under the impression you were gonna do a electrical write up that we could follow.

I'm disappointed your going to try and sell something instead. *shrug* Your market is going to be extremely limited.

·
Premium Member
12,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i would do a write up for sure. but ME personally did not do the wiring.
so i wouldnt be able to tell you guys whats what.
and for the old dirty bastard to do a write up on it. he will definitely want money.

i have no problem showing you guys what i did on the motor swap. i did that, i feel confident answering any questions about it. but i really have no idea how im going to give you guys the wiring that you need when i dont know what it is.

·
Premium Member
12,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i spoke to him, and he wants to do a write up. but as i thought he does want money.
i ***** him down to 50$. ill pay him myself if this is something people really want/need.

this is when i really need feedback.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Ill send you some money for a write up. That's something that will take a lot of time! But it better be detailed

·
Registered
135 Posts
detail is fine but it better make sense, u know how them ODB's can get :laugh:

how much of the frontier interior and dash were u able to keep functional(aka bcm)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts