Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thanks in advance again. I ordered blue LED lights for my interior of a 2012 PRO 4X, and it came with two extra bulbs for the license plate. I don't want to change that from stock so thinking I can grab some cheap bulb sockets for these and install them in the footwells. I just need to know what wires to tap into. I was thinking of tapping into the map/courtesy lights but don't want to run wires from there if I can avoid it. So where do these wires go? A post driver side?

Just got done adding the remote tailgate lock by tapping into the rear door lock wiring, thanks for all the ideas.

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
Thanks in advance again. I ordered blue LED lights for my interior of a 2012 PRO 4X, and it came with two extra bulbs for the license plate. I don't want to change that from stock so thinking I can grab some cheap bulb sockets for these and install them in the footwells. I just need to know what wires to tap into. I was thinking of tapping into the map/courtesy lights but don't want to run wires from there if I can avoid it. So where do these wires go? A post driver side?

Just got done adding the remote tailgate lock by tapping into the rear door lock wiring, thanks for all the ideas.
I would tap into the cabin light circuit at the BCM (just above your brake/gas pedals). Either pin 50 (cargo light) or 63 (interior room). IIRC the BCM is providing a ground to the circuit, but be sure to test.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply and please forgive my ignorance. So if I understand this, to install lights I need to provide a constant positive to these lights and then tap into the switched ground wire? If this is true, is there a wire I can tap into for the constant power? Also, what wire is 63 on the BCM? Will it be the same color as the wire at the map/courtesy light?

·
Registered
215 Posts
BCM pin 56 supplies "battery saver" protected +12V to the interior cabin lights. If you forget to fully close a door, for example, pin 56 will turn off after 10 minutes, preventing battery run-down.
As mtyler11 said, BCM pin 63 switches to ground whenever a door is opened, so is the correct wire for the negative side of the LED bulbs.

I was already running a microphone wire for Bluetooth phone, so found it more convenient to tap these wires at the room/map light assembly, as opposed to folding myself under the instrument panel, to provide power my foot well LEDs (2011 SV king cab). The A pillar trim garnish is easy to remove and reinstall; I used cable ties to fasten my wires to the existing factory harness run there. However, you do have to be careful not to disturb the air bag mounted behind the A pillar trim (disconnecting the battery first reduces the risk).

I have assumed you prefer the foot well lights to turn on with the dome lamps. If no, the wire recommendations will be different.

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
Take pleanty pf poctires pf the install and finished product please

Sent from my iPhone 7 plus using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 5 of 5 Posts