Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased this backup camera and plan on installing it on Saturday. There is a black, red, and green wire coming off the harness. Black is ground, red is power and green goes to reverse light. I need to run a wire all the way back to my reverse light from my mirror. However, I only have 14 gage wire laying around. Would it bad to run the 14 gage wire to the rear attached to the 18 gage wire harness? I think the wires are 18 b/c they are really small.

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
Running thicker should be fine, I flex loomed mine for the trip along the frame

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk Pro

·
Super Moderator
11,254 Posts
I’d buy the same gauge wire and have there be zero questions.

Clint

·
Premium Member
6,666 Posts
I purchased this backup camera and plan on installing it on Saturday. There is a black, red, and green wire coming off the harness. Black is ground, red is power and green goes to reverse light. I need to run a wire all the way back to my reverse light from my mirror. However, I only have 14 gage wire laying around. Would it bad to run the 14 gage wire to the rear attached to the 18 gage wire harness? I think the wires are 18 b/c they are really small.
Your link goes to a rear view monitor (?) - is that the right link?

For add-on cameras, usually there's 4 connections - red, black, and green(or blue, or some other color other than red and black) bare wires + yellow RCA video output plug.

Red - 12v switched
Black - Ground
Green - Reverse trigger from backup lamp
Yellow RCA - Video signal connects to video monitor

Also just to answer your other question, yes you can use 14-ga for this application, it's a low draw device.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I linked the correct item. The camera part showed up yesterday and the RCA cable has the little red wire coming out of it that allows me to hook that up to the reverse light to send the signal. This way I only have to run 1 cable to the front of the cab not 2. I wasn't expecting that little red wire to be attached so that was a huge plus.

·
Premium Member
6,666 Posts
Well the link doesn't work, but whatever

You're still running "2" wires, they just made it convenient by adding the red wire to the RCA.

Tip: you can run the RCA into the cab through a small grommet under the rear floor. A lot of people use the pressure vent at the back of the can, but that vent is supposed to stay closed until needed (having wires go through there keeps the vent open). With the grommet you can run the cable through and seal it

·
Registered
69 Posts
Did you get a chance to install your mirror, did you already have a camera if so how do you like it?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did you get a chance to install your mirror, did you already have a camera if so how do you like it?
I installed one camera and the mirror last weekend. I taped the mirror power into the radio use using a fuse tap in the glove box. Hooked the back up camera into the reverse light wires like most people do. I ran the temperature sensor to the lower part of my grill and seems to be working nicely down there. I'm not in a big hurry to wire up the front camera as it's -22 outside right now. I know my wife will like the front camera so she doesn't hit anything while trying to park in the garage. The picture on the mirror is actually pretty decent, so I'm pretty happy with it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thanks, never thought about a front camera. What kind of cameras did you get? Will you wire in a switch for front one?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This Mirror --
These cameras --
The video quality is pretty decent for the money.

I plan on just hooking the front camera up to something that is always powered when the car is running. The mirror is touch screen so you just tap it and it will change to the next input.

·
Registered
79 Posts
If your running wires, you may want to consider lighting for the rear. At the very least better bulbs in the bed light.

It's dark back there!

·
Premium Member
6,666 Posts
You guys should look into the cameras that have built-in IR so you can use the camera whether it's day or night.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts