Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so here's a new one...The windshield wipers turned on by themselves and will not turn off as long as the vehicle is running. I replaced the switch and nothing. On the wiper motor I found small blk box about 2" square and about 1" thick. It was attached to a strap clamp on the motor. I disconnected it and they shut off. The wipers now work but not the intermittent setting and they will not park anymore. Thought I would try a new part. Nissan calls it a wiper assembly amplifier. problem is, it is no longer made by Nissan. I can only assume this is the problem but can't find the part. Any advice?

Barry
1999 4x4 v6.

·
Registered
337 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Could you send a picture. I just went and looked on my truck and I don't see the part your talking about. All I see is the wiring harness connecting to the wiper motor. Mines a 2002 6c, 4wd, but when I looked on rockauto the 99 and 02 wiper motors are the same. I like to try and solve other peoples problems, so I'll know what to do when they happen to me. Good Luck.

·
Registered
337 Posts
My 02 is different than yours, it looks like they changed the switch, and the switch for the 02 has that wiper amp built in (at least what my pea brain sees from the schematics) I wonder if its possible to use a 02 switch in your 99. Look at the schematics for yours and the 02, and see if you think it would work. Good luck. I truthfully admit, I'd rather try to count snakes in a bucket, than figure out electronics.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think the 2002 is the same as I have a seperate harness going to the Amplifier and one to the motor. It still may be the motor and the "park" switch inside it. May just get a new motor and install at the auto parts store. If it works, great. If not just walk back in and return it. Unlike Nissan, Advanced Auto Parts will accept a return if it's not the solution. I have mechanical ability but electronics, escapes me.

·
Registered
337 Posts
It's definitely different, but it looks like that if you replaced the switch with a 2002 one, the 2002 has the amplifier built in to the switch, and not a separate unit. It looks like it would work. If the new motor doesn't work, I think I would try a new switch from a 2002. Good luck.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input. The issue with trying a newer motor is that I have 2 female harness plugs, one for the motor and one for the amp. A newer motor would probably only have the one input for the motor. Going to order a new motor from Autozone and see if it works. Will post if it works Thanks again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had this exact problem a few months ago. Turned the truck on and the wipers just started going on their own. I took out the fuse until I had time to solve it. A day later it started to sprinkle while I was leaving work, so I put the fuse back in. At that point they worked fine and haven't acted up since (actually kinda forgot about it)... IDK. I know the previous owner swapped out the wiper assy for one that had different speeds, so I know that the parts are interchangeable...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmmmm. Good to know. Exact thing here. This happened 3 months ago and was corrected by a new switch...or so I thought. Guess it wasn't the switch after all. Going to order a new motor and see if it works. If not they will take the return. Thanks again.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Problem solved...it was the parking switch within the motor. New motor corrected the problem. Note: Using the VIN number at Nissan was the only to get the proper part. Two aftermarket motors were incorrect and, amazingly Nissan was the cheapest. Who knew?

·
Registered
178 Posts
I know this is old, but it I had the same problem with another Nissan.
My fix was the wiper control module.
One of the soldered connections had come loose on the plug in terminal.
Had to open the box, re-soldered them all, and never had a problem again.
Way I found it was moving the wires around when the wiper wouldn't turn off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts