Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a really bad leak at the bottom of my windshield washer fluid reservoir where the pump is. How do I remove the pump, do I just pull outwards as hard as I can? I did some searching online and there is a rubber grommet. My first guess is that is where the leak is... has anybody else had a leak there? I can't find a part for just the grommet but on Ebay there are cheap pumps with grommets for $8 that fit my 2002, so I am thinking of ordering a pump just for the grommet.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
On my 1998 Frontier, it was the washer pump itself that was leaking. I had to remove a bit of the front grille for access.

My '98 Frontier used Anco #67-17, bought it from Rockauto.com, was a perfect replacement/fit. Electrical harness plugged right in. Under $9, plus shipping. Looks like same one for your 2002 2002 NISSAN FRONTIER 3.3L V6 Windshield Washer Pump | RockAuto

·
Registered
195 Posts
should be able to reach under it and feel it, it will have a rubber hose connected to it and just pull it out and replace it with a new one, when i got my truck mine was broken

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
should be able to reach under it and feel it, it will have a rubber hose connected to it and just pull it out and replace it with a new one, when i got my truck mine was broken
"should"

My pump was stuck, and I didn't want to break the reservoir too ! My old one still pumped, leaked at the bottom seal and I couldn't fix.

·
Registered
337 Posts
"should"

My pump was stuck, and I didn't want to break the reservoir too ! My old one still pumped, leaked at the bottom seal and I couldn't fix.
"Should" and "maybe", will almost always get you in trouble. Both can be used sparingly, but only in an emergency.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice. I can get to the pump easily, I just couldn't figure out how to remove the pump.

My reservoir has been dry and empty for about a year. I had a leak about 1/4 way up the reservoir that I finally was able to fix a couple weeks ago. It was a piece of metal that was rubbing against the reservoir and had gnawed a hole in the reservoir. It was an hour job to fix, I plugged it with RTV and grinded away a chunk of the metal piece so it wasn't touching the reservoir anymore. Pic below is the metal piece that I modified.
Filled the reservoir and then saw water leaking out of the pump area...

So I just ordered a new cheap pump with grommet on Ebay. I will try just the grommet first to see if that fixes the leak.

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is really really frustrating... I took out the old windshield washer pump, the grommet looked perfect. So I installed the new pump and new grommet. Water is still leaking out of the pump area. AND, I have a second leak, which just appeared out of nowhere. I plugged the second leak (which is actually the third leak in the reservoir at this point) with some RTV.
So now I have two leaks plugged with RTV, and the pump leak which is still leaking. I have no idea what to do at this point other than go out and buy another pump. The one I bought was an ultra-cheap $8.50 thing I bought on Ebay.
I would like to remove the reservoir but I can't figure out how. Cannot believe how much time I have wasted on this problem...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts