Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have a guess as to what % are rear & back windows are tinted to from the factory? I was kicking around getting the front two windows done but I want something lighter than that.

· Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh yeah I will definitely be illegal no matter what I put on. I am thinking 35 or even 45

· Registered
97 Posts
You have it backwards, Spike. The percentage is the amount of light allowed through. So 45% is a light tint, compared to 20% which only allows that much light through. 0% would be paint.

· Registered
5,941 Posts
the rears on the 05's(which i would think would be the norm for all if not most) is 24% per a calibrated VSP(Va state police) tint meter. had a friend check it the first week i had the truck.

· Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I understand that the % is the amount of light allowed through. I just want a little bit of tint on the fronts

· Registered
97 Posts
My bad. I thought when you said that yours would def be illegal, you were going dark.

· Registered
97 Posts
This is mine with 35%.

Attachments

· Registered
192 Posts
35% or lighter would be too light for me, when you had 35% plus your factory tinted glass, it would make your 35% front windows seem darker from an angle looking, since the half of the cab has been darken by the factory glass, I had 35% for the two front windows just to stay legal, and 20% over lay for the rest, sunroof and sunvisor. Since I got 20% tinted on top of the factory glass, that made the two front 35% much darker from an angle view, I had not have any problem with cops yet, even I parked next to them at the stop lights, because it still seem light with direct look through the cabin, but when it out in the sun, hot/bright the truck look pretty cool, and cool too. I did this to my wife van too, as long as the two front you must stay legal, since it's a truck, truck/van you can go as dark as you want all the way around except the two front windows. But I don't think you want to do this on a sedan, cops will pull you over and you won't pass inspection.

· Super Moderator
12,712 Posts
Any tint on front windows is technically illegal here in Pa, which it sounds like you already know.
That being said the 35% I have up front has not caused me any grief so far.
The 35% is definitely lighter than the factory rear, which I think is a good thing rather than matching it.
If it's matched to the back you would definitely draw attention to yourself/truck here in Pa.

Prepare yourself by reading this first, then decide if you still want tint here in Pa, the laws are not very black and white but the fines are.

For what it's worth, I think the 35% is just about perfect.
It doesn't cause issues at night using the side mirrors and with my sunroof shade open I can brighten the cab whenever I want (like when the police see me).
Also, my truck passes inspection with the 35% here in my area without a problem.

Go look in my gallery if you want some photo examples.
Even the SE-R has 35% on it all the way around.
You can see from the different angles how dark it looks on the truck.
All of those shots were taken with my sunroof shade 100% open, for the record.

· Registered
318 Posts
In my 370z, I had 20% tint all around. Great in the daytime, horrible at night...but since I didn't drive the car much at night, it wasn't a big deal...

Something to consider!

When I get mine done, I'll probably go with 35%, even though it won't match the back glass. Mostly it'll be to help keep the interior cooler (ideally) and then to also keep idiot drivers from looking in.

· Registered
192 Posts
Man up. 5% all the way around! They can't see in. But you can see out just fine. And its not as bad as people make it out to be at night. I love it.
Damn 5% all the way around, that is crazy insane, and asking for trouble, I don't have the gut to do so, and wouldn't want to get pull over either. I had 20% on top of the factory tinted glass was way dark/sick, but I stick with 35% on the front. I've seen people paid for the same amount of cost to tinted as dark as they want regardless the tint law, and when they get the ticket, plus cost them the same amount of money just to remove the old tint and addittional cost to re-tint to legal limit, the tint guys will tint as dark as you want, but you be the one who will get pull over and won't pass inspection. As I said you can tint as dark as you want all the way around except the two front windows on truck/van except sedan. It's cost money to make it look cool, but make sure it done right within legal limit. I had a buddy that got 5% all the way around on his Mustang, and the dude parked next to the cop at the stop light, got two front windows rolled all the way down in pouring rain, and that is rediculous.

· Registered
192 Posts
Move to New Mexico. The 5-0's don't enforce the laws for tint.
That's nice, but too dark for my liking, and trouble some when pull in/out drive way or parking lot at night.

· Registered
725 Posts
That's kinda why I got it dark. Parking lots at night. Hell even in front of my apt. When I have the sun shade up no one can see in to plan on stealing my stuff. I like the things in my truck. I'm sure they'd look good in someone's car too but no thanx. And I hear ya too. Different strokes for different folks! Its all good. As long as you like it that's all that matters right!

· Registered
1,537 Posts
When I have the sun shade up no one can see in to plan on stealing my stuff. I like the things in my truck.
it works the opposite way too. buddy of mine had an all factory radio but 5% tint. some punk busted out his side window thinking he had good stuff hidden in there. he popped open the glovebox but missed the gps in the center console. the door was still locked when my friend went to work in the morning.

· Registered
318 Posts
it works the opposite way too. buddy of mine had an all factory radio but 5% tint. some punk busted out his side window thinking he had good stuff hidden in there. he popped open the glovebox but missed the gps in the center console. the door was still locked when my friend went to work in the morning.
I agree...some people think that tint is a good way to "hide" things - but a thief will think - if they spend the money on tint like that, they probably have something worth stealing to hide...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.