Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive all over my metropolitan area 4 days a week, with over 100 stops a day. It comes to about 50k miles a year. I carry two fiberglass ladders all day, a 20ft, and 28ft. My truck is kind of like my little office. I'm in it most of the day and I need to rely on it to run every day, or I can't work. My truck NEEDS a topper, because of the valuable contents kept in the bed. Lastly, my new truck will have to have a hitch that is high enough off the ground to haul my race bike on the hitch-haul. I currently drive a single cab ranger and after two years with it, I am done putting up with its shortcomings. Its two faults are that it is single cab (making me crazy needing more room), and the hitch being too close to the ground for my bike carrier (it leaves the end of the carrier 1 inch off the ground when fully loaded). I'm also a little tired of the manual transmission, but that is just a small issue.

My question is this: I really want to go with a 4 door frontier, but I am not sure how I would go about keeping the ladders. I need to see some pics or links to products that would make it possible. If I put a topper on the bed, the racks would be too close together for the 28'. The only solution seems to be to put a topper on with one bar and use the factory racks on the cab for the front of the ladder. Does anyone see a problem with this? If I find a truck without the factory racks on the cab, how hard is it to have them put on?

·
Registered
2020 Toyota 4runner TRDOR
4,593 Posts
tough call.
the ladders are a big question mark. are they extension ladders or step ladders?
for the most part, Yes, it will handle what you need, but there are a couple other modifications your going to require. helper springs or airbags are a must. its going to squat when you load it up.
Im not sure how much cab room your going to need, my gen 1 KC is big enough for a couple banker's boxes behind the seats. I have moved more to all electronic and actually carry very few papers anymore.
The other side of that, the Gen 2 Dodge Dually I used to drive at work was a standard cab and the center console was large enough for my laptop, and put the bag behind the seat. Only a couple times did I get that truck loaded enough to look loaded...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are extension ladders. The weight of the ladders is not the concern. Their weight will be distributed on the bed/cab. The 199lbs of the bike on the carrier is what will cause the squat. I don't think any of the 4 door models are low enough to worry about that, either. Cab room is a non issue. I have been using the single cab ranger, so the 4 door is obviously enough for me.

My main concern is a topper with the factory racks. I have spend the last few hours researching this forum and found out that buying factory racks and installing them isn't out of the question. Those, along with a nice topper with a bar would solve my problem.

·
Registered
2020 Toyota 4runner TRDOR
4,593 Posts
Im guessing your planning on a LE CC with a long bed?
If you get another set of roof racks to mount to the topper, you should have room for both ladders side by side on the rack.
The problem is the roof of the topper may not support the weight.
If you go with the SE CC LB, the roof rack isn't there so the rack on the topper should keep the ladders supported and off the cab of the truck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im guessing your planning on a LE CC with a long bed?
If you get another set of roof racks to mount to the topper, you should have room for both ladders side by side on the rack.
The problem is the roof of the topper may not support the weight.
If you go with the SE CC LB, the roof rack isn't there so the rack on the topper should keep the ladders supported and off the cab of the truck.

I don't know what all those abbreviations mean. The topper should support the weight. The other 9 guys with my company all carry the same load with their fiberglass toppers. Here is my current set up:

Finding one with a topper like this would make it easy.

I also just saw this and learned that the 4 door was offered with a long bed. Awesome!

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
That 2003 Nissan is perfect. Put a exo-contractors frame on that, and you can carry the ladders with ease. I have a CC lwb, and I do a lot of work that requires the bed, and it rocks. That is a good price too.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I think you'll be pleased with its performance. Sit in the seats before purchasing. My 2nd gen driver seat isn't the most comfortable. One of the few complaints I have about the truck.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I don't know what all those abbreviations mean.
cc = crew cab
Lb = long bed
s/c =supercharger

get the long bed and every fronty tends to squat with a load in the bed. go with the helper springs or air bags.

also check out the mods and issues people have had here. you want those fixed or you will see a lot of lost power.

also, the truck isnt that great on gas mileage and gets worse with engine lights on and heavier loads. i think MPG might be the biggest drawback if using it all the time.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
On my KC, I have a locally fab. co's. rack and have 10 feet of rack. 6 ft over the bed and 4 over the cab. I chose a retrax cover because I need the option of hauling tall items. I carry extension ladders fairly frequently and the only thing I don't like is the ladder whistle I get at any speed over 40.

Just another suggestion.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts