Nissan Frontier Forum banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Went to nissan today, showed them the pictures and sadly the guy knew exactly what I was talking about and the bad news is a 400-600 dollar entire shifter assembly to get this part.

My offer still stands, anyone that wants to take the 5-10 minutes to show me a picture of the exact metal piece attached to that switch, I'll pay pal you 5 bucks maybe more.
almost no tools needed, pop the cup holders out, put the shifter in 2nd and that entire center piece pops out, flat head screw driver to pop the top shifter plate off to see the switch.
I'm desperate at this point

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,041 Posts

The lever measures just a tad over 30mm long (measured from the hinged end to the point where it bends back a bit)
Lever width is 3.5mm, and the material is 0.7mm thick.

Have fun: Mouser Electronics - Snap Action Switches :p

Reactions: Zedbra

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
I would see if you can see any manufacture name or number on switch then try to find part through internet search.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
How often do you drive in 1st gear?

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I would see if you can see any manufacture name or number on switch then try to find part through internet search.
Yep, just knowing the manufacturer would be a good start.

Most manufacturers publish datasheets that cover entire classes of switches - Here's an example.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Looks like a generic micro-switch, just match up the connectors and make sure 12v is in its range.Or buy a cheap 5 dollar on-off toggle switch at autozone and mount it on dash somewhere, you'll accomplish the same thing, put it in second gear and reach up and throw toggle to get first gear lock.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Be sure the missing tang is not lodged in the underside of the shift indicator bezel.
It has to be inside that console somewhere.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #33

The lever measures just a tad over 30mm long (measured from the hinged end to the point where it bends back a bit)
Lever width is 3.5mm, and the material is 0.7mm thick.

Have fun: Mouser Electronics - Snap Action Switches :p
Thank you so much..

What am I looking at though, what is that yellow thing under there? and then that white plastic under ?

is this INSIDE the top plate of the shifter or is that connected to the switch itself? It's a weird angle that is all

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Be sure the missing tang is not lodged in the underside of the shift indicator bezel.
It has to be inside that console somewhere.

for all I know I threw it out, who knows at this point, I changed out my shifter light bulb a few months ago now.

I just wish I knew how that metal level operated, it looks to me like that picture skibane took was from under the top plate of the shifter which is NOT connected to the microswitch and some sort of plastic retainer, damn this sucks!

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
No, that's the microswitch, with the lever poking through a slot in the top plate. It clicks when you push its lever, like most microswitches do.

It's not complicated - When the shifter stalk gets moved all the way to the passenger side (to the 1st gear position), it moves the lever on the microswitch. Moving the lever pushes in the little button (yellow on my vehicle) in the microswitch, which closes its contacts.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I have a buddy thankfully who let me diagnose, here are the pictures I got

Obviously since it snaps in with those clip types on the top this is going to be so much harder to fabricate

if I could get the microswitch amps or something I think I can just buy a generic one and mount that?

I could also be unethical and... rent a frontier.. Truth is no one ever would even notice, but bad Karma so I can't do that

·
Premium Member
5,969 Posts
Junkyard?

Reactions: MiniDuti

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
If you buy a microswitch, try to get one that's roughly the same physical size, with the same spacing between the two mounting holes - That way, it'll fit without any modifications. The original one has a Single-Pole Double-Throw (SPDT) contact arrangement, but only one of the two "throws" has anything connected to it - so you could probably use a switch with a Single-Pole Single-Pole (SPST) contact arrangement instead.

The amps rating probably won't matter much - It's connected to the transmission control module, so it's not carrying much current.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
OK thanks.

As for the Junkyard, they will charge me the entire shifter assembly as well. I'm sure hundreds of dollars

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
The logo on the side of the switch in those pictures looks like Matsushita (Panasonic).

21 - 40 of 74 Posts