Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Kinda freaking out a little here. 2017 with 40k miles. I changed the battery today, not because it needed it but I'm planning on a winch soon so I got the x2 power group 35 battery. Installed the battery, changed my oil and drove home from my parents.

I heard a little metallic sound which I think was my resonator or heat shield again vibrating it was happening around 1.5k rpms, so to replicate it I put my gear shifter in first gear, until I realized it still said 2 on my dash.

no matter what I do it stays in 2, never do I see 1. It shifts fine, I see everything else, P,D,432 nothing. I turned O/D off and still never see a 1.
I've never heard about this, I've never seen this and I'm kinda scared this is going to be a big deal.

EDIT* Since I guess some think I'm a moron lol, I know how to operate the shifter, I off road this truck pretty often and need to keep it in 1st for many things.

need an expert

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
When you put the shifter in the 1 2 position it will stay in 2nd until you push the shifter over towards the passenger side.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When you put the shifter in the 1 2 position it will stay in 2nd until you push the shifter over towards the passenger side.
yea dude I got that, lol . its not going to 1, it will not show 1, and i don't think anyone will have an answer other than shelling out thousands to nissan now

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
does anyone know if there is some sort of safety system with our trucks? I mean if I'm doing 80mph, and slam it into 1st I don't think the truck will let me, is there something telling my **** I'm going to fast?

I'm thinking of anything right now

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
That is strange. You don’t need to take it to Nissan. There has to be a good local shop that deals with transmissions.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Your 2017 should have a 60 month / 60,000 powertrain warranty. You said you only had 40k on it. Take to a dealer for warranty work.
"TRANSMISSION AND TRANSAXLE
Case and all internal parts, torque converter and converter housing, automatic transmission control module, transfer case and all internal parts, seals and gaskets, clutch cover and housing, A/T cooler, and electronic transmission controls."

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea I know.. Just I have a lift and 33's on it, I know what they'll say lol

It's the ECU and that's not covered, something along those lines and you're lift and tires have been so much strain on the transmission or something like that.

was really hoping someone would know, I know it was a long shot since this is something so weird

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did go into 4wd and and lo and back out no luck. i'll try disconnecting the battery. Someone on the facebook group said they had the same problem and never figured it out. I guess he lives without being able to hold 1st, then again he's 2wd, so it wouldn't matter. I off road as much as I have time for and need to be able to hold 1st.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What are the connections on the battery terminal for? i installed the new battery today and had to adjust that top piece that goes on top. does that have anything to do with the transmission?

·
Premium Member
486 Posts
There is a switch in the console shift area that changes the indicator when you move it sideways. It has been awhile and I can't remember it exact location. I accidently moved mine out of position when I had to replace shift cable grommet and had same indication. Once I took console back off and put switch where it belonged it fixed my problem.

·
Premium Member
486 Posts

here is a link from previous post read from reply #7 it describes your trouble

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
WOW!! thanks guys

I'll be doing this in an hour or so and will let everyone know! thanks again

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Of course I'm never that lucky. Took the entire shifter assembly out, I see how 1st gear gets engaged, below is a pic I took. See that little red switch when that's pressed it's in 1st gears, I'm not sure what I'm looking for but I took the entire shifter out and there is nothing I see nothing. So now how do I go about getting this peice.. I'd pay someone to take a picture of what this piece looks like, I've tried a ton of shifter assembly schematics with no luck ..

·
Rogue Admin
12,994 Posts
^ that other thread that was linked earlier details how there was a metal bar over that microswitch that had fallen off of the microswitch. Have a look into the shifter area, see if you can find it, Use a magnet.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks..

Yea I took the entire assembly out, took the cables off and all, its not there. I'll pay pal someone 5 bucks to take a picture of the part.
I either need to make a new one or something because I cannot find this part anywhere online

·
Registered
398 Posts
Its located just to the right of shifter when shifter is in the 1-2 position, a black box with red spring loaded button that shifter presses in when shifter is pressed to the right to engage 1st, svc manual calls it a 1st gear position switch.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
A lot of microswitches are factory-equipped with a lever permanently attached - like this:

So, if you just order a replacement microswitch from Nissan, it may come with the lever.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts