Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 4x4 automatic--- After recent trip out west and a bit of off road jaunts I now seem to be unable to shift into 4LO.
While out west I had a brief problem after a WET slick off road jaunt when the she would not shift from 4LO back to 4H. Eventually after sitting a while, she finally shifted into 4H and I then shifted to 2H for the LONG trip home.
When I got home I have noticed that the truck shifts fine from 2H to 4H but the 4LO light flashes when trying to go into 4LO and it is obvious that it is not in 4LO. One more bit of info., I did not attempt to shift into 4LO until after I returned home after the issue with not going from 4LO to 4H I stated previously.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
^^^ Like she said.

If that doesn't work put it in R and roll back slowly for a bit. Mine's stubborn once in a while, but it always ends up kicking in.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have tried a bit of everything. When I got home I did change fluids and the transmission had a brownish tint and the transfer case fluid was grayish (this was initial change at 56000 miles). Did I overheat the tranny and transfer case when I was out west? The problem with NOT shifting out of 4LO happened after finishing the trail to Crystal City Mill in Colorado. It rained the whole time and the trail was steep at times on slick rock and water holes. Out west it finally shifted out of 4LO after it set for about 20-30 minutes as I explored the Marble city quarry. Being so far from home I did not attempt to put it in 4LO until I returned home. I live in NC and it would of been heck if she stuck again in 4LO so far from home.
I am going to try and clean the electrical connections today and put electrical grease on them as maybe water has created a short. Still stumped...

·
Premium Member
6,426 Posts
you having any weird noises coming from the front diff? i know there are a few guys that were able to still shift into 4hi with busted front diff , they finally got it to go into 4lo and it was binding so they gave it some gas and finished off the front diff

you could try disconnecting the front driveshaft then switching in 4lo and see what happens , if it doesnt then you probably have an issue with the transfercase

im just guessing though

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
When I bought the truck it had about 30k miles and I had a lot of trouble shifting into and out of 4low. I end up using 4lo about once every couple months, and as long as I use it fairly often it works more reliably. My Ranger was the same way...as long as I used it occasionally it would work fine, but let it go a year and it would give me troubles for awhile.

Like sexy6chick said, are you in neutral when you go from Hi to Low and vice-versa? Bumping the drivetrain a little like zluke13 said works for me too when the transfer case is stubborn.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finally

I did manage to shift into 4LO. I was down by my barn on an incline with nose up and you could hear the familiar shift when I tried to go to 4LO. Don't know if it was the incline or the fact that the truck wanted to roll backwards down hill that helped the shift. I have tried the shift several times since and now all seems fine. I had previously cleaned the electrical connections, but initially the cleaning/greasing had no effect. Still at a loss but at least she shifts OK now.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Maybe there's a little bit of something stuck in the gears of the actuator in the transfer case that engages and disengages low range. Look into it, see how its mounted and installed, take the actuator off and lube it up.. maybe thats it? Eh?

Could also be vacuum controlled, i'm unsure. I'm still use to how my isuzu works, haven't messed with the mechanics much on the 2nd gen nissans just yet; bound to though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts