Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be picking up my new Craftsman riding lawnmower Saturday morning.

It weighs 495 lbs. I know our tailgates are rated supposily at 200 lbs. However, my wife and I have sit on it several times and together we are close to 350 lbs. I never have had any problems with bent hendges or any other tailgate problems.

I plan upon arriving at home with it, backing into my front yard ditch. After reaching the lowest spot I should be a little less than 4' to the ground. I purchased two metal ramps to roll it down to the ground. One of my neighbors will help me with the unloading. Of coarse we will not be standing on the tailgate ourselves.

Does anyone have a better suggestion to offer?

Thanks to any comments.

·
Registered
578 Posts
wont be an issue i have a 450lbs fourwheeler and i put it in the bed with the rear wheels resting on the tailgate all the time and i do it in my first gen. and in my moms 2nd gen. and i drive it up the ramps with me on it and i weigh 165lbs and the tailgate is fine

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
number 1: what is the deck width on that mower? i ask cuz it prolly wont fit between your wheel wells which means the mower will sit back on the gate for your ride home also.

number 2: go to lowes or home depot, spend the $20 on their rental truck, which comes with ramps, and then pick up your stuff at sears. trust me.

number 3: this advice comes from 6 years of experience with ppl trying to shove 48" deck deere's in their pickups at lowes. im not saying the truck cant handle it, clearly it can. but if your worried about your gate, be aware of all aspects. just want you to be prepared before you show up at the store with your ramps....

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
The lowes/homies idea is best. It only costs 20 bucks for the first 75 minutes so its a simple, deal and you don't have to worry about the trucks tailgate nor the width of the bed.

Also, the 200# limit is in the manual but nobody follows it.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I had the same problem with my John Deere ride on mower.

My solution was to rent a low rider trailer from U-Haul. It cost $30 per day. The critical feature is its low height which facilitates loading and unloading.

But....Home Depot did not have the mower ready so they delivered it free of charge.

Now that I have more experience with the mower, I think I can load it onto the Frontier with my ATV ramps. My cutting deck is 42 in.. The front wheels have a smaller track than the rear wheels so they should fit between the wheel wells (47 inches).

·
Registered
578 Posts
you really arnt gonna bend you tailgate from a lawn mower youll be fine you can save the 20 bucks and just put it in your truck

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
rent a small "flatbed" trailor. i looked into getting a uhaul trailer for a day to get some sod, and it was only like $20 for like 8 hours or something.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had the same problem with my John Deere ride on mower.

My solution was to rent a low rider trailer from U-Haul. It cost $30 per day. The critical feature is its low height which facilitates loading and unloading.

But....Home Depot did not have the mower ready so they delivered it free of charge.

Now that I have more experience with the mower, I think I can load it onto the Frontier with my ATV ramps. My cutting deck is 42 in.. The front wheels have a smaller track than the rear wheels so they should fit between the wheel wells (47 inches).

This picture without the leaf bag attached looks simular to my mower.
The mower is 42" the ramps look to be the same type.

I want to thank all who commented. All gave good advise I will be carefull while loading. If problems arise I will either have it delivered or rent something.

·
Registered
430 Posts
If you drove a Tacoma, I'd be worried! haha Seriously though, the tailgate should be fine with that load. My tailgate has been solid so far, and I've hauled quite a few heavy loads.

·
Registered
154 Posts
My taigate hinges got bent when my friends unloaded a motor. Stupid asses didn't take off the gate (don't ever let your friends borrow your truck!). The motor was probably 600lbs. If you're concerned figure out a way to remove the gate, load the mower, then put the gate back on to support the back of mower. Half the mower won't hurt the gate, the whole thing plus you driving it up might.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
The main concern is not the loading/unloading since the odds are you will be pushing it up the ramps for extra safety but its the fact that it could rest on the tailgate while on the way home. This could increase the strain on the hindges which would cause them to bend. It may only be 150lbs or so but in a vibration motion, that load is amplified to a point where it may not be able to handle it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I've loaded a few motorcycles in my truck each of them being 400-500 lbs. The gate took the momentary load just fine. However the back wheel was still in the bed during transport even though I couldn't shut the tail gate.

I have two kickstand dents in the bed though. The bed dents real easy (like the rest of the truck). :?

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update

One of my neighbors noticed me backing down into my ditch. He came over to lend a hand.

We had that mower off the truck with no problems. Tailgate hinges just as good as before.

This mower length is just long enough where I couldn't close my tailgate. However, the tires were not quite touching the tailgate. So no weight on it.

The two fellows at Sears that loaded the mower for me acted like they had loaded other Frontiers and they knew it wouldn't be a problem.

Funny thing while I was waiting I struck up a conversation with another Frontier owner waiting behind me, a black. 07 CC

Thanks again fellows!:noworries:

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
if i had seen this earlier i could have told you that you wouldnt have a problem. i load a 42" JD 115(i think) every 2 weeks to cut my grass. been doing this for 2 summers and have never had a problem. i use 2 8klb ratchet straps to hold in in place. one across the front and one across the rear.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Fit my new john deere in the bed with tailgate down just fine.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have loaded my 1000rr several times in the bed of my truck. It weights about 420+ and I weight 230+. I never remove the tailgate and I walk it up, me on one ramp and it on the other and have never had any issues.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts