Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In stock configuration the axle is sandwiched between two steel plates essentially; the leaf pack and the lower axle plate. Pretty beefy.

Our trucks suffer from some degree of axle wrap. This is due primary to the twisting of the soft leaf springs. However some of it must come from the connection between the leaf pack and the axle.

One would think that a flipped U bolt would be a weaker connection and thus increase axle wrap.

Does anyone have some experience with this. I know that many that have flipped their U bolts have also upgraded their leaf pack (like the set up pictured), so it is not a straight comparison.

I am thinking about flipping my Us, adding a 1" lift block, and making a custom top plate that will accommodate my airbag.

As a side, I do not think that airbags do anything to reduce axle wrap.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Lift blocks will increase axle wrap considerably.

That's why I ditched the lift blocks on my Hardbody.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
362 Posts
The taller the lift block, the worse the axle wrap gets. That's pure physics.

But there are ways to counteract axle wrap, traction bars (used them too, didn't like them) or link kits using johnny joints, which are difficult to install.

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
I agree that lift blocks will increase the potential for axle wrap.
The main cause of axle wrap is too soft of springs.
Friend drove my truck just recently.He said he felt either axle wrap or wheel hop whenever he took off.Hard to believe it's axle wrap since I have increased the stiffness of the springs.
I am hoping it is wheel hop.Easier to correct.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I agree that lift blocks will increase the potential for axle wrap.
The main cause of axle wrap is too soft of springs.
Friend drove my truck just recently.He said he felt either axle wrap or wheel hop whenever he took off.Hard to believe it's axle wrap since I have increased the stiffness of the springs.
I am hoping it is wheel hop.Easier to correct.

Easy to check.

Just have someone else drive your truck and you watch from outside (sitting down on a curb).

That's how I got to see how much axle wrap I was getting on my Hardbody when my wife was driving it.

Soon after I swapped leaf packs and removed the lift blocks.

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
I am pretty sure it''s not axle wrap. With the old Deavers there was none.The new Deavers are a lot stiffer.I think it's just a matter of adjusting the.by pass shocks
We did major work on the suspension and just need to tune.

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts
In stock configuration the axle is sandwiched between two steel plates essentially; the leaf pack and the lower axle plate. Pretty beefy.

Our trucks suffer from some degree of axle wrap. This is due primary to the twisting of the soft leaf springs. However some of it must come from the connection between the leaf pack and the axle.
One would think that a flipped U bolt would be a weaker connection and thus increase axle wrap.

I am thinking about flipping my Us, adding a 1" lift block, and making a custom top plate that will accommodate my airbag.

As a side, I do not think that airbags do anything to reduce axle wrap.
The bottom 'plate' is a non-issue as its under the axle tube. A good U-bolt will do equally good job at clamping. The working point is the spring perch & pack mating point. As you pointed out, the wrap is due to weaker springs. The other reason is flat spring pack. A pack with greater concave shape will reduce wrap. Also any size spacer will exacerbate wrap. Your choices (to reduce or eliminate wrap) is a new springpack or to go multilink or ladderbar or tractionbar/slapperbar. Personally, if you're running (mostly) stock power and not racing, I'd put in the spacer and save for a new springpack when you start to notice springpack fatigue (loss in static height). I'm currently running a 2" block and will upgrade my leafs after I've bought&mounted my front bumper. I wheel and will be ready to replace in another year or so (~30k mi).
Now if you frequently launch yourself then I can see your issue with wrap...
http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/susp/axlewrap/

·
Registered
6,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have airbags in the rear so if my springs were fatigued it is hard to tell. I only feel the axle wrap when hooning around and peeling out/hard launching.

There has been a bunch of axle wrap threads on Titan talk. A simple solution is to install a hellwig type helper spring. pretty easy solution. I have seen many "traction bar" type solutions as well, however the basic single point (on each side) should be avoided as they tend to bind.

Just considering some options as a planning my rear suspension rework.

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts
how lifted is your front? since your truck has some miles on it, have you considered a new&improved pack? i had a helper spring on my old truck ('76GMC) and it made the ride Much worse/stiffer. YMMV

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
I have airbags in the rear so if my springs were fatigued it is hard to tell. I only feel the axle wrap when hooning around and peeling out/hard launching.

There has been a bunch of axle wrap threads on Titan talk. A simple solution is to install a hellwig type helper spring. pretty easy solution. I have seen many "traction bar" type solutions as well, however the basic single point (on each side) should be avoided as they tend to bind.

Just considering some options as a planning my rear suspension rework.
First you need to determine if it is axle wrap or you are getting wheel hop.
A good way is to use a "Go Pro" camera if you can.
Friends still need to test but I still believe it is wheel hop.
Don't think these springs will cause axle wrap.
Failed to mention everything felt was in the dirt.

Attachments

·
Registered
260 Posts
My pre runner Toyota With Deavers, Diff mounted on top of leafs. Had Wheel hop so bad in deep sand and any hill climb.It was hoping so bad no traction to get going. Local off road shop mounted 1 traction bar on top of diff,off center. 95% cured the problem will take pictures of traction bar.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts