Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried searching but cant seem to find anyone running this size tire on OE suspension.

I am about to buy some wheels/tires and they come with 285/50/20 Nitto Terra Grapplers.

The stock tires on the SE quad cab 4x4 are 30.6 tall and 10.43 wide.

The 285/50/20 are 31.22 and 11.22 wide

The 285/55/20 are 32.34 and 11.22 wide

I am pretty sure the 285/50's will fit without a lift but will the 285/55's???

I am planning on eventually adding a 2 front 1.5 rear lift but was hoping the larger size (285/55) would fit now before the lift (the deal for the tires/wheels is now so I need to jump on them).

THanks in advance!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so no 285/55/20 on OE suspension.

You think the 285/50/20 will be ok? You mentioned the width being close...If it does rub will it be in an area where I can just trim the fender liner?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I've got a275/55/20's with a 2" PRG Mini Lift. I couln't have fit them without it though. Where you gettin your specs at? The 285/55/20 is damn near 12" wide (11.73) and the 55 is 11.69. You wont be able to fit any of their 20" tires without a lift.
My 275's are 11.1" wide.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well any given tire should be the same width regardless of the aspect ratio (meaning a 285/50/20 should be identical in width to a 285/55/20) The only thing that could affect this is wheel width (as that will change the profile of the tire which will affect the tread width). Unless the manufacture states the width as that... cuz your numbers are only hundredths difference which is pretty much nothing).

But your right... I just did the math on 285 mm's (2.54 cm in an inch...so 25.4 mm's per inch) to get to inches and come up with 11.22.

So... are we still thinking the 285/50/22 will NOT clear on the OE suspension?

We were hoping to buy the tires/wheels now (install) and put the lift in in a few weeks. If all that needs to be done is trim the fender line thats easy. Would it be anything worse than that?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
Okay, I have noticed that you are very knowledgable about the tire size but the real thing to look at is the rims themselves.

We have a crazy wierd bolt pattern with an odd offset that makes aftermarket rims almost never fit. I am not saying that none will fit but you do have to look at that as an variable.

So, which rims are you actually considering?

Lastly, the 285/50r22 is a big azz tire that will not fit with the OE specs without doing some melt-mod and trimming.

Side Note: I know you are more focused on the rims and tires currently but have you looked at your brakes yet? This is a common part that is overlooked when adding hugh rims and tires.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
I'd give it a day or so and I am sure we can get it up to 24s. Heck, he could be the first to have 26s on a Frontier. I just think it may require the Calmini lift and a couple of extras.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lol dont know where 22's came from.

Looking at 285/50/20 on stock suspension. The guy at the tire shop claims it fits with NO rubbing on OE 4x4 suspension.

So now that the info is set straight, any more opinions on the matter? A little fender-liner massaging or trimming is no big deal but im not about to roll the fenders on a damn truck LOL.

Also the wheels are the "Rockstar" wheels in size 20x8.5.

Available offsets are +10 and +35. What is OE on the SE 4x4?

Thanks guys

1 - 10 of 10 Posts