Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanna make sure before I buy them....stock Alloy wheels of a 2000 DR, just wanna make sure they will work on this rim, I am 90% sure they will, just double checkin, thanks guys

·
Registered
881 Posts
This sounds like you are asking if an 11.5" wide tire will fit on a 7" wide rim.

I wouldn't try it.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright, did some searching in here and it has been done by other members, and they look pretty good, I have the 3" SL, so clearance isn't an issue.
I need tires, came acorss a good deal on some 32" BFGs, so I'm gonna go for it and try them out.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeayo, I will have them on next week once I get some time.
It sucks in the rain right now cause I am sliding all over the place, so def looking forward to some better grip and stability

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
i run 12.50s on a 7 inch rim

your fine

there actually a poor mans beedlock and can be aired down to 10psi safely

·
Registered
145 Posts
Resurrecting this old thread and want to know if current thinking has changed at all? I would like to run the same set-up and will air down for off-roading, but manufacturer specs call for 8" wide rim minimum for 11.5" wide tire. I'll still be good, right? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Your call !!!

Toyo says 8.5" wheel is ideal (7"-9" OK) for 10.5" tire. I would want at least an 8" for 11'5" tire.

·
Registered
145 Posts
It'll work. It'll "balloon" some which will increase overall diameter of the tire

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
The guys at Tirerack don't recommend going outside tire manufacturer recommendations. I was told that the tire could pop off the wheel if a curb is hit or something to that effect. I assume they have to give an official response like that for liability reasons.

Is there anyone here who has had problems running a tire that is 1 inch wider than the recommended minimum?

·
Registered
27 Posts
The guys at Tirerack don't recommend going outside tire manufacturer recommendations. I was told that the tire could pop off the wheel if a curb is hit or something to that effect. I assume they have to give an official response like that for liability reasons.

Is there anyone here who has had problems running a tire that is 1 inch wider than the recommended minimum?
You are correct, for liabilty reasons they ha e to suggest against it.

I have been in the tire industry for 12 years. A wider tire on a narrow rim is more difficult to pop off in a situation you described. Going wide wheel with skinny tire like is the new craze is the one that's scary to me.

I currently run a 35 12.50 15 on a 7 inch wide rim.

·
Registered
145 Posts
You are correct, for liabilty reasons they have to suggest against it.

I have been in the tire industry for 12 years. A wider tire on a narrow rim is more difficult to pop off in a situation you described. Going wide wheel with skinny tire like is the new craze is the one that's scary to me.

I currently run a 35 12.50 15 on a 7 inch wide rim.

Thanks for mentioning you are also running a wider tire on a narrower rim. Do you also agree that airing down to, say, 15 to 20 PSI will not pose any problems?

·
Registered
27 Posts
What you are able to air down to depends on alot of factors.

But wider tire on narrow rim should help with that becuase the sidewall of tire will naturally push against the bead.

Under most circumstances I don't think 15psi would be an issue. I ran 10psi on the trail with stock wheels and 265 75s and had 2 blown beads in the course of 2 years but push things harder than alot.of people do

·
Registered
145 Posts
What you are able to air down to depends on alot of factors.

But wider tire on narrow rim should help with that becuase the sidewall of tire will naturally push against the bead.

Under most circumstances I don't think 15psi would be an issue. I ran 10psi on the trail with stock wheels and 265 75s and had 2 blown beads in the course of 2 years but push things harder than alot.of people do

Thanks for your input, offroadohio. Any other last words of wisdom or things for me to consider?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts