Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it wont start just click's i checked the batt. connections they were fine i put the battery on charge and it checked out ok. when i turn the key off it makes a funny noise and the all the hands start bouncing oil, temp, speed, rpm. anyone else ever have this problem?

·
Registered
17,538 Posts
could be a lot of things but first i'd try switching out the battery for another if you have one just to see if it will start that way. i tested a lot of batteries at the dealership that said "good" but couldn't turn a can opener...

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Sounds like a bad battery. A lot of times battery checkers can be inaccurate since they can't put a load on the battery. It would appear as ok but as soon as you open the circut it doesn't have enough to turn it over.

Just take a walk to walmart and buy a new one

Mine does the samething when the battery goes bad(with the gauges and noise)

·
Registered
832 Posts
Bad battery for sure. Take the terminals off, brush them with a wire brush, both the battery terminals and the cable's terminals and hook it back up, worth a try.

Maybe something was left plugged into the 12v outlet inside that constantly supplies power when the key is off, one of them turns off with the key, one of them stays on.. may report 12v or so, but no amperage to get it started.

·
Registered
463 Posts
ditto, my Frontier did the same thing about a year ago. Gauges went crazy,truck wouldnt start. No notice, just went to start it and everything went crazy. Put a new battery in and have had no problems since.

·
Registered
2020 Toyota 4runner TRDOR
4,593 Posts
I recently replaced the battery on my wife's 06 X. I dont like pushing an OEM battery more than 3 years. an aftermarket battery, should go a good 6 years.

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
Check the terminals first. Nissan told me I had a bad battery, but they changed it and it did the same thing. They're techs were stumped, so I fixed it myself by changing the neg. terminal. They are really thin and cheap from the factory, and if it doesnt get a good connection, it wont let it do anything.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Yep, still sounds like the battery. The electronics go nuts when lacking power. And like bwarren said goes ahead and change the terminals. They are cheap and caught fire on one fire my past Nissans because they can't handle the power. If there is corrosion inside the terminals you are not doing anything with a charger.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
clean terminals with baking soda mixed with water and a brass brush or even an old tooth brush. make sure to make plenty of the mix and continue to brush/pour it on the terminals till they no longer bubble. do the same with the battery post then tighten everything down.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
confirmed bad battery, it would take a charge and not show any faults but i load tested it today and it couldn't take a load so i replaced it and everything is fine now. i have never seen one go this quick without dragging first expecially after making it through a rough winter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts