Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Nissan Frontier SV Crew Cab LWB 4x4
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about the suspension. The Frontier's stock U-bolts on my C200k-equipped 4x4 are roughly 11mm thick, and are designed to wrap around the leafspring and bumpstop perch on top with a pair of hard square bends, and hang with the bolt-ends down to pass through that plate which wraps around the axle, with the nuts installed from below.

There are U-bolt flip kits, but I'm not really sure what's so special about them. When I was dealing with older Mopar RWDs with spring-under rear suspension (ie like Xterra) the cars did not feature U-bolts with hard square corners, instead they had actual half-round curves, wrapped above the axle (remembering axle is on top) and then stuck down through the flat plate that was pressed against the leaf spring before the nuts were installed.

So turning that over to reflect a spring-over suspension setup we end up with this:

Essentially a 3" U-bolt, and if 1/2" (12.7mm) rod diameter, somewhere over 6" long, through a flat retainer plate drilled to accommodate the center pin and holes for the width of the 3" thick axle tube and 2.5" width spring. So half-inch holes drilled 3.5" and 3" apart.

Trailer U-bolts for up to 7000lb axle applications are available basically in this configuration, though are closer to 7" long than 6". You're talking $20 from a catalog like Amazon but admittedly without retainer plate sized for 2.5" wide springs.

So why are U-bolt flip kits $100+? It seems like at least for C200k with 3 inch diameter axle tube that it would not be too much of a challenge to roll your own.

·
Premium Member
2,156 Posts
Capitalism. Just as you can cobble together a axle breather kit yourself for $10 or buy anyone elses for $30 or so.
Not everyone has the stuff to cut down 3/8 plate to make the top plate or the desire to search out the right size ubolt.
Is it hard? No. But some just want bolt-on.
Hell, look at the hood strut kits. You can do it yourself for $40 or less, but you'll be fiddling with alot of stuff. By the time i was done with mine, it would have been same money and much less hassle to buy Angel's kit.
So much wasted time with waiting on the wrong ball-end brackets... and wasted money...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Yep I like fiddling around and making things work but sometimes convenance isn’t that much more than what I would have in it after all said and done.

·
Registered
2015 Nissan Frontier SV Crew Cab LWB 4x4
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I made my own u bolt flip kit using the spring plates from a xterra and a set of u bolts from advance auto. All in it cost me around 40 dollars.
Last night in my sleeplessness I found references to Jeep XJ parts. 3" diameter axles are very, very common on Jeeps. It looks like possibly CJ, XJ, and YJ Jeeps used 2.5" wide leaf springs with 3" diameter axles. Some models put bumpstops on their spring plates, others put shock mount rods or holes on. It looks like the the cheapest spring plate that might fit is $6.99 per side, a Crown Automotive 52006421. I find it listed for the YJ, but I have not specifically confirmed fitment.

I might have also found a source for 14mm-thick U-bolts for 3" axle tubes for $14, and $14 for spring plates, it would be about $28 to do a U-bolt flip kit.

The nice thing about going with 14mm U-bolts, keep the truck metric so one doesn't have to carry more tools.

The small metal shop that sells the U-bolts opens on Monday, I may order a set since that's little more that the cost of a casual meal.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Don’t forget about the bump stop. You could modify and reuse the stock one by drilling and tapping holes and bolting it to the top plate or to the frame. Or an aftermarket universal bump stop. Funny, I’m doing the same thing myself right now. I looked around at a lot of sources but decided to go with the ADO kit (all zinc plated now) and a Daystar bump stop to custom mount. My calipers were just barely deep enough to measure my axle — 80mm or about 3-1/8” dia.

EDIT: I forgot that you have aftermarket bump stops already.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts