Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately i have kind of reached the point where i do not want to mess around with my suspension in my truck anymore and want to switch to the performance mods.

I was always under the impression my truck had the WOT restriction but being a 15' it does not. That was my biggest reason to get a BD tuner. Now that i am certain that my truck Does not have the WOT restriction, my main use for it would be for the transmission and coolant temp gauges when i am off road.

So the Question i want to ask and i have tried to figure out is why do i want a BD tuner. Am i going to see that much performance gain by Running the Premium tune? Why the +2 Degrees of timing(seems like a common change)?

What else am i going to get out of it? I really want one but i can not justify why and at 4 Benjis i want it to be money well spent.

What do you guys think? is it worth it?

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
I have a Bullydog tuner. I mainly use it to clear codes. I have the WOT restriction on.
I don't have the monitor on the Frontier(I have regular gauges). I do have the monitor on my Dodge and it's great. I can monitor all sorts of things. Exhaust temp is important with a diesel. I can keep an eye on both pre turbo and after turbo temps. Worth it in my book.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Went with the ScanGauge II - clears codes and displays what you've described. Easy to mount above the rear view mirror too.

·
Registered
257 Posts
How do you know if you're under WOT restriction and what does that do to you anyways? Very unclear on this obviously.

·
Premium Member
5,877 Posts
Honestly, it sounds like you're just searching for reasons to justify buying a BD... if you just want to keep tabs on temps, you could always go with an Ultragauge or Scangauge. Also, that +2 degrees whatever won't turn our trucks into rocketships... it's still a truck, will always drive like a truck
::smile::

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Don't buy a Bullydog if you are looking for HP gains. It makes zero HP. I dyno'd my truck with and without it and the results showed less than 1/2 whp gain.
Hmm... thats interesting considering that they claim anywhere between 25 to 30 hp gain on the premium tune and at least 10 on stock. Good to know.

How do you know if you're under WOT restriction and what does that do to you anyways? Very unclear on this obviously.
Any gen 2 frontier after 2013 does not have WOT restrictions, trucks below 2013 do. It essentially does not allow the throttle to fully open all the way when you put your foot down. With the WOT restriction someone told me it was only open 40% even with your foot all the way down

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
The route I went with was Uprev. Getting a custom dyno tune with Uprev, instead of getting a generic tune with BD or Hypertech.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The route I went with was Uprev. Getting a custom dyno tune with Uprev, instead of getting a generic tune with BD or Hypertech.
Are you pretty happy? how is the difference? pretty good?

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I am very happy and would do it again. The difference was awesome. Picked up power throughout the entire rpm range. Also got a little better mpg.

IMG_0788.JPG

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am very happy and would do it again. The difference was awesome. Picked up power throughout the entire rpm range. Also got a little better mpg.

View attachment 225865
Thats pretty good. Got me thinking about that now. What did that run you?

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
$640.

·
Premium Member
6,101 Posts
Don't buy a Bullydog if you are looking for HP gains. It makes zero HP. I dyno'd my truck with and without it and the results showed less than 1/2 whp gain.
Was your throttle response better w/ WOT-Restriction removed?
Any comment on the 2 degree advance in timing?

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

View attachment 225865
Did you do just the up rev tuning with everything else stock or did you have any form of CAI done or Exhaust?

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
XTP IMS, Gibson Catback Exhaust, and Airaid Intake.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts