Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
that I don't see many Frontiers on used car lots? There are always lots of Rams. Chevys & Fords. Also don't see allot of Tacomas either.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Its like a Harley, everyone has to have one till they realize what POS's they are. Craigslist has 10 Harleys for sale to one Asian bike. The good clean Used Asian trucks sell fast, hard to justify a 100Kmi+ American rig? At least for me!

·
Super Moderator
11,530 Posts
Probably because the smart consumers see the value in these trucks.

Clint

·
Registered
125 Posts
People appreciate what they have. I rarely see a Frontier on a lot around here. See more Titans and Tundras than the mid size trucks. And I can't remember the last time I saw a Hardbody on a lot.

·
Registered
520 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
I would also say it could be due to people knowing that Tacos and Frontiers hold pretty good resale and that they'll likely get more for it in a private sale than on trade at the dealer.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I think it has to do with the driver's love of the truck. They enjoy the driving, tinkering, etc. so much that they can't part with it until it just starts falling apart to the point that it can't be repaired. So, it goes to the junkyard, and the driver is off in search of a new Frontier to start afresh.

·
Rogue Admin
2007 LE 4x4 Crew Cab Long Box
14,021 Posts
Sentiments above set aside, the sales numbers of Frontiers also relate directly to used market availability. I don't know the numbers in the USA, but here in Canada, what Toyota sells in a month for Tacomas is what Nissan sells in a year for Frontiers; hence the lower availability.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Like Zedbra said "Sales Numbers" from new.

Below is cut and pasted from here:
Top 13 Best-Selling Pickup Trucks In America - 2014 Year End - GOOD CAR BAD CAR

Sales numbers for the US

Ford F-Series
2014 753,851
2013 763,402

Chevrolet Silverado
2014 529,755
2013 480,414

Ram P/U
2014 439,789
2013 355,673

Toyota Tacoma
2014 155,041
2013 159,485

Nissan Frontier
2014 74,323
2013 62,837

Although I am willing to bet the Frontiers sales numbers are up this year with the high price of the new tacoma and the GMC/Chevy canyon/colorado.
And just noticing here on the forum...seems like an increased amount of new members with brand new frontiers.

·
Premium Member
6,551 Posts
And as I already mentioned, the big three like to lease as well. I have two friends who just bought new trucks. Buth like to lease (work truck) and the best deal for one was a ram (his 3rd in a row, shops price, not looks), and the other Really wanted another Frontier, but there were no good lease deals so he bought. With a lease, they get turned in at 3 years, that's one more reason you see more used on the lots.

·
Registered
968 Posts
And as I already mentioned, the big three like to lease as well. I have two friends who just bought new trucks. Buth like to lease (work truck) and the best deal for one was a ram (his 3rd in a row, shops price, not looks), and the other Really wanted another Frontier, but there were no good lease deals so he bought. With a lease, they get turned in at 3 years, that's one more reason you see more used on the lots.
Yes good point on the lease returns.

I was just looking a the shear volume/quantity .... heck those sales numbers I found may include lease's?

Ford F-Series
2014 753,851

Nissan Frontier
2014 74,323

Thats about 700,000 difference LOL

Also that is one thing I really like about driving a Frontier , you dont see Qty 20 of them on the road just driving to the convenience store to get a gallon of milk. LOL
As the old saying goes:
Why flock with the seagulls when you can sore like an eagle !!!

·
Premium Member
6,551 Posts
This. Plus idiots who trade in every 3 years to get the new and improved faux big-rig styling and heated/cooled/massaging pleather seats.

Not always. My friend gets a new lease every three years. It's a company truck, so he can write it and his miles off on his taxes. Also, the last Ram he had which while not optioned out, did have plenty of comforts. He was paying about $250 A month. Rode it hard, put it way wet and turns it in.

And as far as leases go, the big three are also big in the Fleet lease game. I used to work for a large fleet lease company and they had over 1 million vehicles in their fleet in the U.S, Canada and Puerto Rico. Most were light trucks and 4 door sedans. Many were cycled through as soon as they hit 3 years or 36K miles.

With that said, my truck was a lease return. 3 years old and 38K miles on it.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Not always. My friend gets a new lease every three years. It's a company truck, so he can write it and his miles off on his taxes. Also, the last Ram he had which while not optioned out, did have plenty of comforts. He was paying about $250 A month. Rode it hard, put it way wet and turns it in.

And as far as leases go, the big three are also big in the Fleet lease game. I used to work for a large fleet lease company and they had over 1 million vehicles in their fleet in the U.S, Canada and Puerto Rico. Most were light trucks and 4 door sedans. Many were cycled through as soon as they hit 3 years or 36K miles.

With that said, my truck was a lease return. 3 years old and 38K miles on it.
My cousin gets a new mid-size truck every 2 years through his work. He's gets to choose from the usual fare exc Taco. He's had all of them over his 24yrs with the irrigation co. He only chooses the Frontier now, part of the reason I chose the Fronty, His driveway on a Mtn side in Colorado would make you choose Fronty too! But I guess you already did;)
On the leases, Spokane is not a big city at a population of 200k/500k in county. I'm out working on the lot at my last job. A well dressed gentlemen in a lifted F-150 pulls up to look at some trailers. We get to talking, turns out he's the fleet lease guy at the North-side Ford dealer here in Spokane. He said it was a full time job and quite busy. I was amazed that he could kill 40/wk doing fleet sales in this area. He made it sound like a major revenue stream for the dealer. Something I never saw at the Toyota Dealer with their non-existent fleet program.

·
Premium Member
6,551 Posts
Until you get in the lease game or know of someone, you really don't realize how many there are out there. In actuality, most large companies have all of their vehicles leased. Sears, Most rail road companies, ADT, etc. All lease every service vehicle and loads of companies lease their sales person's 4 door sedans. By not owning the asset, they don't pay taxes on it, just make a payment, it's still under warranty so they are only paying for oil changes, tires and brakes and as soon as it is out of warranty, to auction it goes. Their sales people and technicians are NOT making money when the vehicle is at the shop.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Here you go:

September 2016 Pickup Sales Breakdown - PickupTrucks.com News

The Frontier is not doing badly in its class given that its an eleven model year old design and everything else in its class is new since 2014. Its not that far behind the Colorado though the Tacoma sells almost as many as Chevy and Nissan combined. Still, For, Chevy and RAM full size sales dwarf the Tacoma. The Titan barely sells enough to show up on the charts.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Here you go:

September 2016 Pickup Sales Breakdown - PickupTrucks.com News

The Frontier is not doing badly in its class given that its an eleven model year old design and everything else in its class is new since 2014. Its not that far behind the Colorado though the Tacoma sells almost as many as Chevy and Nissan combined. Still, For, Chevy and RAM full size sales dwarf the Tacoma. The Titan barely sells enough to show up on the charts.
based on these numbers it made absolutely no sense for nissan to invest in a new titan line up when the frontier sells more and has much more market share in a growing market.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts