Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not at all trying to be provocative. We've been looking at Frontiers for years & not finding what we want, so we're now looking at Tacomas & F150s as well. A Frontier is the preference, but at this point I'm wondering why should I "invest" in a company that provides so few options for us buyers? By invest I mean when I buy this truck, I'm buying future parts, paying Nissan trained mechanics in the future, trusting Nissan/Renault to back up recalls & bulletins.

The parts that make me most nervous are these: The majority of Nissan is owned by Renault, based out of Paris, France. Nissan is showing NO interest in upgrading their trucks & no interest in attracting me as a customer, which tells me they don't really want to invest in me either. Meanwhile, Europe-centered Renault is apparently leading in ELECTRIC vehicle development &/or sales...a mindset more European than American right now. That's also something more realistic in Europe than in America, at least in the wide open west where I am. Maybe Renault-Nissan is more interested in an electric future than a gassy Frontier (bad pun intended). To make the choice even harder, I remember when I was young seeing Renault cars here & there, but mostly they were parked for repairs. Nobody bought them, but they now own the majority of Nissan, a company showing no interest in the truck I'm interested in. And Renault-Nissan has approx 9 brands under their name, 1/2 I've never heard of (that's fine), Nissan, Infinity (used to make nice sedans but I don't know anymore), Datsun (no thanks), & Mitsubishi (no thanks). Not really confidence inspiring.

I'm having a hard time seeing a good future for me if I purchase a Nissan Frontier pickup truck, but maybe you can set me straight.

·
Registered
338 Posts
You have 5 posts in 4 years and they are all rather odd. Are you a real person? If you haven't purchased a frontier yet you probably never will. Were not here to convince you to buy one. Put brands aside. Go drive them and pick the one that you like the best. Toyota, Ford, and Nissan are not going anywhere anytime soon. They will all be around for repairs and on top of recalls.

Personally I say go grab that Tacoma!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
These are my thoughts, and you need to make the decision for yourself. It does not seem like your set on buying a midsize truck. You list 2 midsize and a full size. I think your overthinking this. Nissan is a massive brand and they are focused (currently) on promoting and fixing the bugs in the new titan.
Granted we have not seen much in the way of public info on a new frontier. If they said they were coming out with a brand new redesign would you buy it? Again probably bugs to work out.

Nissan is a huge global company and i don't think Renault is going to do much to change it since its working well. If anything you want the parent company to be investing in new tech and diversifying. I would not read too much into parent companies.

Bottom line, if you can get the truck you want buy it. If not, look somewhere else. The tacoma costs more for less truck in my opinion.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Anybody that thinks buying a car or truck is an investment has it all wrong, it's an expense.

I've been hoping to buy a small pickup with a diesel engine, but the closest thing to that right now is an extended cab Colorado in the ZR2 trim- begins at $45,000!!

That's no investment, nor in my opinion a justifiable expense. There are people who have piles of money and just buy what they want, pay the freight, so to speak. Most people look for that balance between what they want and what they need, try to find the best value. The Frontier shines in that department.

As to the OP, any time someone can't make up their mind between a Frontier and an F-150, they haven't given it much thought and shouldn't be posting.

·
Premium Member
7,123 Posts
OP, just import a Mahindra and call it a day.

·
Rogue Admin
2007 LE 4x4 Crew Cab Long Box
13,802 Posts
Remember the good old days when Chevy/GMC didn;t really change their truck designs for 10 years, because they were well built and sold? Something doesn't need to be 'new' to be good, but that is what consistent marketing teaches people these days.

Nonetheless, Nissan sells significantly less Frontiers than Tacomas and F150s even with a proven design. Look at all the issues both those other brands have had releasing 'new' equipment and then realize Nissan, being much smaller in the market, is making a sound business decision to stick with something that is working well enough to enable them to make a profit.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Buy something else then.
So Renault has been in F1 racing forever, they may have more than electric cars on their mind.
I think a guy by the name of Fernando Alonso won 1 or 2 races in a Renault.
Europe will always require different specs for their average drivers. How many pickups did they sell in France last year?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Now about Datsun:
When I was a kid (mid 1970's) my neighbor had a pest control company and bought more than a few Toyota Hilux's, Tuff little Buggers!
Around 1976 or so he decided to try a long bed Datsun pick up, it proved to be every bit as tough as the Toyotas were, very impressive. Those poor trucks got hammered buy the route guys!:surprise:

·
Registered
915 Posts
I see a lot of negative comments online towards the Frontier. In real life I've never owned a vehicle that got so many compliments. I'm just happy to be in a reliable truck that's fun to drive and reasonable on fuel. I bought it used for under $20k CAD with over a year of factory warranty remaining.

·
Registered
592 Posts
OP, just import a Mahindra and call it a day.
I was about to stop reading this thread any further when I saw your post, and then had to look up Mahindra as i had never heard of them. Are you recommended the tractor or the utility vehicle, and do they have cup holders? I'll probably spend some time on the site tonight just to satisfy curiosity. Always enjoy your posts.

·
Registered
730 Posts
... Nissan is showing NO interest in upgrading their trucks & no interest in attracting me as a customer, which tells me they don't really want to invest in me either. ...
No auto manufacturer is interested in investing in you. They just want your money. If you think otherwise, you're mistaken. You're not an investment, you're a source of income.

Why do you care about what they may build in the future? You're looking at buying a current Frontier, not some future product. If you want to buy now, what difference does it make if they do or don't upgrade the Frontier two years from now?

You're not joining a team, you're buying a depreciating asset.

Vic

·
Registered
374 Posts
Tell us something about you and who ever the other(s) are included in the "we".

What do y'all do with your vehicles? You 4 wheel, 2 wheel? Business/personal,
transportation/travel, city/rural/outback?

How many vehicles do you have?

How long do you generally keep them?

Do you lease or buy?

How many vehicles have you owned in the last ... 20 years?

Do you customize your vehicles? What kind of milage do you do annually?

I can tell you real quick that I bought mine BECAUSE it's got a great track record
for dependability. Parts and service should be around for a while since there are
so many of them. And for a mid sized truck, it has a very strong engine with a long
history. I can say that I truly enjoy driving this truck.
I just drove 3 miles to the lumber yard and passed at least a dozen Frontiers parked
and another dozen on the road, so at the very least you'll have plenty of used parts
to pick from in the future. :)

I know you opened your post by stating that you're not being provocative. But it's
clear that that's exactly what you're being since you stated nothing about your need's
or wants in a vehicle except to question it's value as an investment. Anyone with even
a grade school education in finance knows that a motor vehicle is not meant to be an
investment. So... crap or get off the pot... are you wanting to find a truck or stir things
up?

·
Premium Member
7,123 Posts
I was about to stop reading this thread any further when I saw your post, and then had to look up Mahindra as i had never heard of them. Are you recommended the tractor or the utility vehicle, and do they have cup holders? I'll probably spend some time on the site tonight just to satisfy curiosity. Always enjoy your posts.
IIRC, maybe 7-8+ yrs ago there was a fair amount of talk/rumors that small Mahindra diesel trucks (built in India?) were going to be imported via a small dealer network. Gas was ~$4/gallon back then, so this talk seemingly gained some traction. Can't recall how the plug got pulled.
Pretty sure cupholders would've been pure aftermarket, yeah.

·
Registered
915 Posts
So tonight I went for my usual Thursday after work MTB ride, First time I've seen Frontiers out number Tacomas at the trail head. There was six KC's and two CC's, mostly Pro-4x models. Never seen so many in one place!

·
Registered
469 Posts
Calling any vehicle an investment is a mistake. It's typically a calculated expense. Obviously you haven't done much research on any one particular truck. Seems to me that you like to stir the pot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 23 Posts