Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if it is really a Smart Car, but after seeing this, it reinforces my pleasure of having a 5 foot crumple zone behind the cab and a 4 foot one up front.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
looks like fun

·
Senior Moderator
4,558 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
The wheel you see in the picture is a GM 5 or 6 lug wheel. There also looks to be the side portion of a chrome front bumper to the side of said wheel.

Very unfortunate situation regardless.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Senior Moderator
4,558 Posts
I'ld make the decision to drive one after I got to see the "sandwhich" crash test, which neither of the above shows.

But yeah, I know that it is impossible to tell what kind of car it was that was involved.
How many vehicles CAN survive a sandwich from those two massive vehicles?
Apart from SUVs like the Excursion and H3, I'm not sure anyone could walk away from a situation like that-- SMART car or not.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
^^ agreed

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Well, IMHO, if he had been in a truck, I don't think he would have been accordianed up that much. And it doesn't look like the guy could see the car over the hood of his truck. I have seen some pics from some gnarly accidents (best friend is a firefighter who covers I95 in Virginia) and the pics from that interstate are down right scary. But I have seen a fullsize pic up sandwhiched between a pair of 18 wheelers, and while the guy was flown to a regional hospital, he was cleaned off the highway with a mop and bucket, like the person in the photo I copied was.

I don't care what the vehicle you are "going up" against, a 16 foot long pickup truck is going to provide an exponentially greater chance of surviving than an 8 foot long micro car.

How many vehicles CAN survive a sandwich from those two massive vehicles?
Apart from SUVs like the Excursion and H3, I'm not sure anyone could walk away from a situation like that-- SMART car or not.
An h3 would be the same size thing that we are driving.

·
Senior Moderator
4,558 Posts
I meant an H2.
you make a good point about just the sheer amount of material between two points of impact but those (smart crash) videos that were posted showed that design has a good bit to do with the rigidity of a vehicle and the survivability of its occupants.
More is not necessarily better and most is not necessarily best.
YouTube - Crash Test Ford F150

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
you make a good point about just the sheer amount of material between two points of impact but those (smart crash) videos that were posted showed that design has a good bit to do with the rigidity of a vehicle and the survivability of its occupants.
The smart may be rigid, but like mentioned before it has absolutely no crumple zones. So when you crash in a Smart where does all the kinetic energy go? It goes straight through that rigid frame and into your body. Smart's are death traps.

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
What kind of car was that squashed in the original pic? Looks like a small SUV to me.

The Smart car actually gets very good crash test results.

YouTube - Crash Test: 2008 Smart Car ForTwo

YouTube - smart car crash
keep in mind, us government crash test ratings are compared in class only. hit it with a 6,000 SUV and see how well it does...seriously. mass wins.

I meant an H2.
YouTube - Crash Test Ford F150
in a collision between two vehicles, I'd almost always rather be in the one with more mass. in a collision with an essentially unmovable object, more mass is a detriment.

·
Senior Moderator
4,558 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts