Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on getting a lift very soon but just cant find exactly what I'm looking for. I want 2 - 2.5 inches of lift so that I can fit a 285/75/R16. I've decided I'm doing a 2" deaver leaf and bilstien shocks for the rear but am having trouble figuring out the front. It seems like what I want doesn't exist.

I don't really want spacers because I do wheel my truck, and I don't want to loose any travel or deal with the banging from coil bucket contact.

I don't really want radflos because although I do wheel my truck, Its not as often as I would like, and I cant justify the expense or maintenance issues that are associated with coilovers.

I dont really want rancho ready lift because I've read that even maxed out, a lot of people are only gaining 1.5" and I would prefer a bigger lift than that

I dont really want bilstien adjustables because I've heard that adjusted up to the highest level (which is where I would want them) they ride like crap.

I dont really want AC coils because most say they are too stiff, plus with almost 70K on my truck, I feel like I will need shocks soon anyways so might as well do that now.

The truck is my daily driver so I would like to keep the ride as comfortable as possible while also increasing performance/load hauling, all while keeping it relatively inexpensive. (I know, its asking for a lot and I have to make compromises somewhere)

My "ideal" setup would be something like the bilstien adjustables. Slightly longer shock to increase travel, that moves the spring seat to raise the truck. Internal bump stop in the shock so there is no coil bucket contact. Ride that is slightly firmer than stock but still comfortable for a daily driver.

It seems like a lot of us on here are asking for this exact same thing. What is my best option? Is there anything that meets my criteria? I'm surprised no-one has made anything like this as there seems to be a pretty big demand for it.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Geez man. After reading that... need a tissue? You look into a body lift? You can make that what ever size you want up to 3 inches.

You may just get the closest thing to what you want and just live with it. Sorry man.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, thank you, a tissue would be nice.

Sorry, I have a tendency to get overly wordy sometimes.

I've never been a big fan of body lifts because of the gaps and the fact that the stick shift would be lower.

It just seems like everyone wants something relatively inexpensive that rides nice without coil bucket contact.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
The only way to eliminate (for the most part) CB contact is to add new UCAs. This is where the money starts to rise. Then to get the lift and travel wanted, most choose COs since they can do whatever you want.

Heck, for your case, I would just surf on the Frontier and Xterra sites and see when someone is selling their used set of COs for semi-cheap and pick them up. Have a local rebuild them or ship them to PRG and he can do it for a price. Then get a set of used UCA's from someone that is Tswapping and you should be good to go at probably half the price of new.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
How much are the bilstein adjustables? I would think that you could get a set of used SAW's for around 5 bills, I think Lil kim is selling them for that. Aren't the bilsteins like $100 a piece anyways?

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Hey, I have a 3 inch lift. (coil spacers) and the contact was terrible! So I removed my stock UCA's, and ground down the small area that hits the coil bucket. I have not heard it since then. I mob a set of RR tracks every day to and from work. No contact. And I know what you want to say...." well I off road and I dont want it to be weak and bend or brake"

Well I dont do hard core 4X4, but from what I ground off of my stock UCA's I would have a hard time believing that it would make it that much weaker. I would guess, If I bent my UCA's....... I would have much bigger problems! HAHAHAHA

·
Registered
17,538 Posts
how do you feel about doing stock titan arms and titan bilstein struts? bwarren did that on his CC and it lifted it about 3" or so, he ran 285 BFG M/T's and had a real nice ride quality. he ran without a sway bar and it drove fine, little more lean than factory but not bad. the added width really made it stable. you would need the control arms, front axles if you are 4wd, tie rod extensions and brake line extensions plus a few other misc parts

i know you said you didn't want coilovers but any of them with 600 lb springs ride pretty good, about like stock. the amount of maint needed on them would depend on how often and how hard you wheel it

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
I don't really want radflos because although I do wheel my truck, Its not as often as I would like, and I cant justify the expense or maintenance issues that are associated with coilovers.
The only coilover brand that has issues are the Radflo's.

·
Registered
16,551 Posts
Radflos aren't meant to be used on daily driven trucks the Icons have none of the reported issues that the radflos have. AC has a lighter sprung coil now for trucks with out added armor.

·
Registered
17,538 Posts
yea, nothing against any forum sponsors or anything but from the various trucks i've rode in, i liked the feel of ICON's better. they appear to be a better constructed product, very beef looking

·
Registered
144 Posts
I get where you're coming from you just want a factory style strut that gives lift without making the truck ride like crap or costing $700 - $800 Closest thing out there I can think of is the OME setup then or possibly titan struts I don't know how much lift they might give you but they bolt right up apparently. Over on the new x Just one more note you can get most of the coil overs setup to work fine with the factory UCAs, and I don't think a rebuild would cost much more then replacing OEM or OEM style struts. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
The only coilover brand that has issues are the Radflo's.
I was not aware of this. What problems? Why cant they be used as a DD?
I thought that PRG had the best of eveything? No? Radflo's are PRG right?

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I've got Radflo coilover on my truck and they ride great!

- you got to pay to play -

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
I was not aware of this. What problems? Why cant they be used as a DD?
I thought that PRG had the best of eveything? No? Radflo's are PRG right?
People are getting new Radflo coilovers with low charged, leaking, and noise.
PRG SELLs Radflo. They also sell icon, king and SAW coilovers.

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
Yeah the only coilover I would say is PRG would be the SAW's (witch I have never heard anyone have a problem with). I believe he makes the mounts, does the valving, and chooses the coil. So you can only get the SAW's 3" of from PRG. You can't even get them from SAW.
The other 3 are manufacture replacement coilovers.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
After talking to Greg at PRG, I've decided to just go with spacers in the front. Its not ideal but I guess it will have to do for now since there is nothing out there at the moment that is better for me.

I'm going with 2" spacers in the front and deaver add-a-leafs in the rear with bilstien 5125's. I'll let everyone know what I think once I get it all on and test it out. Greg assured me that the coil bucket contact wouldn't be too bad and I hope he's right.

For as cheap as they were, spacers should work for now and I figured if it doesn't work out, at least I'm not out too much money and can try something else.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts