Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 194 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have been lookin at the frontier and the tacoma a whole bunch and I keep going back and forth but everytime I go drive them I always walk away liking the frontier a little more. I drive an 07 fj cruiser and I love it but now I need a truck and I think the frontier is it. What made you choose the frontier over the tacoma, and are you still happy with the decision?

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Hey guys I have been lookin at the frontier and the tacoma a whole bunch and I keep going back and forth but everytime I go drive them I always walk away liking the frontier a little more. I drive an 07 fj cruiser and I love it but now I need a truck and I think the frontier is it. What made you choose the frontier over the tacoma, and are you still happy with the decision?
Even though this is my 4th Nissan over the years, I still looked at the Toyota. The interior seems smaller to me. The Nissan rides better andand seems more powerful. Toyota gets money for the name. It just seems you get more for your money from Nissan. Plus ....you cant beat the looks of the Frontier. Just my 2 cents

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
-The bed is not plastic
-Fully boxed frame
-Rear disc brakes
-5 channel utili-track system in the bed
-Factory spray-on bedliner
-Flat under belly

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Even though I have always drove a Nissan I looked at Toyota the last two times I bought a truck and
The Taco is uncomfortable
Overpriced
Underpowered
Plastic as stated above
Their suspension goes to crap quick
And from all the recent problems Toyota is having I am really glad I did not buy one.

You can go on Youtube and find all the videos about how the frame on the Toyotas flop around like a piece of paper in the wind. So yes, I also like our boxed frames.

This one is vs a Ford but you can see what the frame does and all the wheel hop.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j3PWGRrCZ4

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
^^ agreed

If you find yourself needing a truck, you'll need to strap things down. I'd rather strap things down to utilitracks that are solid rather than a track system made of platic tie-downs and thin metal tracks bolted into a plastic composite bed. Just give it a try yourself: put a tie-down on the track and try pulling up on the tie-down. The toyota tie-down will immediately start bending the track whereas the nissan won't budge. I'd like to keep my load in the bed rather than pick up the scattered remains off the shoulder of the highway.

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you take looks out (too subjective) the main reasons have been mentioned already:

Nissan spray in bedliner, Toyota plastic
Nissan Metal tie down cleats, Toyota plastic
Nissan disc brakes all around, Toyota drum brakes out back
Nissan has better utilitrak system than Toyota although they do have one
Nissan fully boxed frame, Toyota partial box partial c frame
Nissan more hp/torque, Toyota less
Nissan cheaper, Toyota expensive
Nissan only optional 8yr/120K factory backed warranty I've ever seen
Most of this stuff is standard on Nissan, Toyota wants extra for all their plastic utility

As far as my opinion goes, a done up Tacoma looks a little better than a done up Frontier (stock too close to call) on the exterior, the interior is by far better looking and more functional in the Frontier. The TRD rides like crap but the standard suspension on the Tacoma is nice. Frontier is possibly smoothest truck ride I've been in other than a brand new Tundra (it was too big for me or I would have bought it).

I just picked up a Frontier 3 days ago so this information is pretty current and unbiased. I sure do think that oil filter being on top of the Tacoma motor is neat though.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Even though I have always drove a Nissan I looked at Toyota the last two times I bought a truck and
The Taco is uncomfortable
Overpriced
Underpowered
Plastic as stated above
Their suspension goes to crap quick
And from all the recent problems Toyota is having I am really glad I did not buy one.

You can go on Youtube and find all the videos about how the frame on the Toyotas flop around like a piece of paper in the wind. So yes, I also like our boxed frames.

This one is vs a Ford but you can see what the frame does and all the wheel hop.
YouTube - See,I told you the Toyota Tundra sucks
Well that video was pretty scary. The tacoma does that too?

·
Registered
2020 Toyota 4runner TRDOR
4,593 Posts
As others have said.
price
power
comfort.
and for me, there was one other "feature" that got me to look at nissan. A 72.5 Datsun that my uncle bought new is still on the road and still running around town...

as far as the video goes, I thought that was staged by Ford at one of fords test track. If you know what the test is, you can tune the suspension for that.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Well, I've been force to make the decison twice in the last couple of years. Both times, I have chosen the Frontier for:

The better feeling disc brakes all around. The Toyota's feel very mushy and iffy.

The engine, better feeling power and sound. The new ones sound like a four cylinder.

The ride of the Frontier feels much better. So does the handling.

The Tacoma has a better turning radius, is 400lbs lighter, has better quality plastic inside, and I think the interior is better though out on the Tacoma.

Other than the interior, appearance (debatable), and turning radius, the Frontier one out both times for me (not even considering the lower cost).

·
Rogue Admin
2007 LE 4x4 Crew Cab Long Box
13,888 Posts
Nissan spray in bedliner, Toyota plastic
Nissan Metal tie down cleats, Toyota plastic
Nissan disc brakes all around, Toyota drum brakes out back
Nissan has better utilitrak system than Toyota although they do have one
Nissan fully boxed frame, Toyota partial box partial c frame
Nissan more hp/torque, Toyota less
Nissan cheaper, Toyota expensive
Nissan only optional 8yr/120K factory backed warranty I've ever seen
Most of this stuff is standard on Nissan, Toyota wants extra for all their plastic utility
great list. i agree 100%, plus:

Frontier interior fit me better than a Tacoma - the Tacoma was more 'car like'
Frontier offered leather and sunroof - Tacoma had neither

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Value.

Toyota dealers here is just too full of themselves and not price flexible.

Nissan Frontier = less money + more value

·
Registered
644 Posts
^Agreed. Price and Value.

The Nissan dealerships around here were a lot more flexible with pricing. Toyota barely wanted to budge on their prices.
I ended up getting my truck, brand new, for 7k-8k lower than the window sticker price :)

·
Registered
310 Posts
I have been a nissan fan for a while and before I got my 2nd titan our company offers a employee discount for Toyota. My work got 4 Taco 4x4 ex cabs and all seemed well. At 35k 2 of them lost the front end. And one lost a transmisson. Now there is only one left and it is more expensive to fix then the crappy F1sh**ies that we drive. With what I saw and drove the quality is not on par with nissan. Nissan is the new toyota of when toyota gave a s**t. There was a great transfomation when Nissan parred with Relault. Now that Dalmer is in the mix I cant wait for more good things to come. #1 is a small diesle motor maybe

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Well that video was pretty scary. The tacoma does that too?
Not sure but the rails are closer together so I would image it doesn't do it as much but you can look on YT for Tacoma also and there is a crap load of videos about their frames. One guy on there said his has been replaced 10 times!!! for rust and other problems. Not only do these twist to the side, the rails move back and forth. But just from seeing the Tacoma frame I wouldn't ever buy a Toyota...My frame doesn't move, it sits where Nissan put it.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I bought mine because;

-4 wheel disk brakes on the Frontier
-Tacoma's engine sounds quite noisy
-I heard a lot of bad things about the plastic bed on the Tacoma, I've had 1800lbs of gravel in the bed of my truck.
-The Frontier was thousands cheaper
-Toyota dealers around here are morons, most wanted me to do a credit app before I even test drove it
-The frontier has a smoother ride

I prefer the looks of the Tacoma over the Frontier, however, I'm not a woman and don't buy my vehicles based on foolish things.

Also I should add, I'm not a fan of any manufacturer. I don't believe anyone makes the best vehicles in all classes every year. If you're looking for honest feedback, try not to listen to anyone who's owned 12 Nissans in a row. There are idiots like that for every manufacturer out there.

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
Price was never a factor for me. When you look on-line they come out to be the same price.
If I thought the Taco was I would have gotten one. The frontier is just a better truck and I would have gladly paied more for it.
The more I have leaned about the New Taco the less I like it.

·
Super Moderator
12,703 Posts
-The bed is not plastic
-Fully boxed frame
-Rear disc brakes
-5 channel utili-track system in the bed
-Factory spray-on bedliner
-Flat under belly
X 1,000 plus the Frontier looks way better and has a sunroof option.
'Nuff said.

·
Super Moderator
19,933 Posts
What they said. No regrets. I never even went to a Yota dealer to test drive the Tacoma. I didn't like the looks nor the price.

·
Registered
770 Posts
We have had both, both good rigs, but the nissan is more hard core...
Getting tired of toyota selling there name and then having all the recalls, toyota seems more "american" than they used to be.

1 - 20 of 194 Posts